1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mizzou tight end Eric Waters calls out his teammates.

[​IMG]

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

That was a rough sentence.

3. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

how does it "mock" the institution of marriage? because some stupid old book with a bunch of fairy tales said so?

Why compare this to people in 3rd world countries? I support them and hope they get help too. It's not a very relevant situation. You can literally plug that into any sentence. "Sucks derrick rose blew out his knee, but I care much mroe about people in 3rd world countries that are starving"

The only reason you think its getting "shoved down your throat" is because it makes you highly uncomfortable anytime you acknowledge and have to think about homosexuality admit it........... and it is very arrogant to think he needs your prayers. It assumes that you're in the right and he's in the wrong. Keep going to church or something. But in the meantime don't spam your pity prayers.

4. rudan

rudan Member

Is he going to take showers with all the other players? If so, I hope none of them drop the soap :grin:

5. Major

Major Member

Why? Do you think, because he's gay, he will rape them?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You don't necessarily have to have a TV Show announce what you like to do or don't like to do in your own home, is what I'm saying. If he is seen kissing another guy or talking about how another dude looks hot, well, so be it, but there's no need to "announce it." :eek: People should respect his preference and that's it, without making a huge deal of it.

7. Major

Major Member

Why? If it just comes out, they it's all going to be rumor/innuendo/etc until he answers a bunch of questions. The story has the potential to get ugly and out of his control. By being upfront about it, he gets to manage the story, it's timing, etc.

His choices are really to hide it or expose it. To let it expose itself would create a much more complicated and ugly story.

8. SwoLy-D

Well, he can just answer the questions IF he wants, but they shouldn't be asking him about that. They don't ask the heterosexual dudes anything about rumors or innuendos, so I don't see it as fair to announce it or to be asked about it. :eek: I'm not saying for him to deny it or hide it, I'm just saying that I know it's a big thing and easy for people to blow it over, when in reality the media should leave him and his personal decisions alone, you know?

9. Nook

Nook Member

Why are you thinking of a homosexual black man dropping soap in the shower?

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

How long until Rodgers comes out?

11. downbytheriver

Intent. Intent. And that's enough to make a lot of men feel uncomfortable. When we tackle a man we do so as a means to an end, when we tackle a woman, there is a underbelly of lust involved. Imagine a gay quarterback who gets a man in a prime position before each snap? His saving grace is snappers are REAL out of shape and not as desirable as a running back or wide receiver. But as in shape athlete, I'm not comfortable with that feeling of INTENT around me as opposed to camraderie and goodwill that is on display in locker rooms. I'm pretty sure Amaechi pleasured himself to all his teammates as he said they had the bodies of greek gods in his novel.
    Let me repeat myself, it's not a lifestyle I agree with or think is necessary, but I have no issue with gays having civil unions and getting married. However there is a time and place for everything and once kids start accepting this who knows what will go on in teenage locker rooms.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Intent to what? Rape them? I'm attracted to women, but that doesn't mean I "pleasure myself" thinking of the women I work with. I'm more in control of my libido than that.

You're reciting the same old "gays can't control their sexual impulses" narrative that has been pushed for decades. To quote Chris Kluwe, homosexuals won't magically "turn you into a lustful cockmonster" by virtue of their attraction.

Kids being accepting of homosexuality doesn't mean that they'll be engaging in gay orgies in locker rooms either. Teenagers, regardless of orientation, have been finding ways to fool around forever.

13. Major

Major Member

They *shouldn't* ask him about it. But everyone knows they will. So he might as well control the conversation instead of letting it fester and become ugly. This way, it's a news story this week and then we all move on.

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think you understand what coming out of the closet means. He is stating this because if he is seen with another guy that will likely lead to as much of a distraction of gossip about whether he is or isn't gay. It very well might lead to more harassment and poisoning the locker room if he is seen with a guy romantically but refuses to talk about it. He is talking about it now so that the issue is in the open.

As far as asking heterosexual athletes well if being heterosexual was something uncommon and that many feel free to be mocked then you would probably see people asking athletes about rumors of heterosexuality.

Anyway as you see just on this post rumors of homosexuality are considered an issue considering that someone is mentioning Aaron Rodgers and lingering rumors that he is gay. I'm a Rodgers fan and as far as I know he doesn't go around talking about his sexuality, whether gay or straight, yet it is still an issue.

15. SwoLy-D

Nah, I know what it means. It means risking "anonymity" of what he likes to do in his personal time. I know what coming out of the closet means.
    You know what, I just realized we're saying the same thing. Don't we wished people did the "right things" all the time and not want to get "ratings", "money", "free advertising", etc.? :confused:

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This just shows that you are insecure about your sexuality. As my moniker says I do Judo and further have done it coed and done it with out gay guys. If any of you know anything about it is that you are in very close contact with your opponent as in the example below.
    [​IMG]
    I can tell you that the last thing on your mind when your opponent is trying to break your arm or choke you out is sex.

As a coach now if any of my athletes couldn't control their sexual urges I would kick them out.

Every time this argument about that gay guys will be unable to control themselves sexually frankly says more about those making the argument than it does gays. Let me ask you if you are in close contact with a woman like in a crowded elevator are you unable to control yourself from getting aroused?

1 person likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But you're not saying it isn't on your mind.

[​IMG]

Honestly, my take is that in today's media coverage, if he wanted to lead an "out" off-field life, it would have been put in the press by someone sooner than later. It would have become an issue. Props to the dude for letting teams know before the draft. I will say I dislike all the "if you disagree with this you are horrible" stuff I'm hearing in a lot of the media. Sheesh -- let people have their reactions. It's a big change.

By the way, I posted this before the thread got moved to D&D! :grin:

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...m-70-spots-draft-rankings-173605773--nfl.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...michael-sam-personal-life-040729791--nfl.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-assistant-horribly-anti-gay-021059968.html

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you've been in a locker room more than a handful of times in your life, there's about a 100% chance you've been in one with a gay person.

I don't think you made it through unscathed, obviously the gayness rubbed off on you with the weird "QB banging center" thing you just dropped on us.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Michael Sam is allowed to shower with other men why can't I shower with women? I won't rape them. I may stare lustfully a bit because I'm attracted to them. Hope it doesn't make them feel too awkward.