1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So long as the American government bestows civil benefits for married couples, - even non-Christian, infertile, elderly couples - but does not guarantee equal protection under the law for homosexuals while maintaing a separation of church and state, the institution of governmental-recognized religion in America is discriminatory.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Marriage is a civil institution. Incorporating religion is ENTIRELY voluntary.

You are free to believe whatever you want to believe. I'm fine with that. What I'm NOT fine with are contradictory statements. By choosing to support the movement to deprive LGBT citizens of the basic rights that heterosexual couples have you are, most certainly, treating them differently.

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

4. Major

Major Member

Except if you actually read what happened instead of a biased crazy blog, you'd know that's not remotely accurate. A stockholder wanted the CEO to stop supporting gay marriage, and the CEO said that if he didn't like the company's stance, he didn't have to invest. In other words, the CEO didn't care what the investor believed - the investor is the one that was wanting to impose his beliefs on Starbucks.

It's repeating nonsense like this that earns people the label of being bigoted or hateful.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I just googled the topic and copied the 1st link I saw.

What you brought up was part of the story, but the CEO was quoted saying if you support traditional marriage he doesn't want your business.

6. Major

Major Member

No, actually he wasn't. He said nothing of the sort. The link you googled was quite clearly all you know on the subject.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I just have to disagree, and I'll leave it alone after this because none of us are changing anyone's mind here.

There are requirements to getting tax benefits. Marriage is between a man and a woman. If you don't want to marry someone of the opposite sex, then you won't get these benefits. I don't see it as depriving someone of benefits. To me it's no different than parents getting more benefits than non-parents.

What I think will eventually happen is there will be a separate category for same sex relationships that will provide them with comparable and similar benefits.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

1st of all - Marriage wasn't created by religion.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Complete and utter nonsense.

This is not worth pursuing further. All I'll say is it's proven that basing your opposition to LGBT rights based upon religion is a losing argument. I'd encourage you to keep that in mind.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

History will not look kindly on the anti-gay era.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Lol the arrogance.

I didn't even read the article I googled, I saw a post asking for a source so I copied a link. I'm going off of when the story 1st broke and what multiple media sources (liberal and conservative) say he was quoted in saying.

But hey, I wasn't there. Maybe he said it, maybe not. Either way, when you look at what the Chick fil'a guy has gotten roasted for saying, then compare it to this situation. One stated his beliefs, the other states his beliefs then advised a shareholder to leave if he doesn't like it.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

you're really struggling right now in this debate JMAD21, I suggest you just stop responding, quit while you're behind.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Like the arrogance of saying Sam needs your prayers? :rolleyes:

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It's a losing argument? Interesting. Why? Because you disagree.

Such arrogance and hypocrisy.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Me saying I'm gonna pray for someone is arrogant?

You sir, do not understand prayer!

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because society is quickly recognizing there is no logical reason for denying civil marriage benefits to homosexuals. Judges, whose job it is to interpret the law fairly, are concluding that bans in states like Utah and Oklahoma are discriminatory in nature. The federal government now recognizes same-sex marriage. That's why your argument is "losing."

17. Major

Major Member

It's arrogant to think truth matters and to think you posting lies is a bad thing? You posting garbage like that might be a reason people call you a bigot.

In other words, you have no actual knowledge of what you're talking about. You're just copying and pasting links you don't even understand.

No, there's no maybe about it. It didn't happen. The quote is out there - it doesn't remotely mean what you think it does. And it doesn't that much time to google it and actually understand the reality.

No, that's actually not what happened at all. Fascinating that you claim to know what happened in this situation just one sentence after admitting you don'tt know what happened.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A lot more arrogant than someone having assumed you read the link you posted.

19. Ashes

Ashes Member

I guess it depends on why you feel the need to pray for him.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What it sounds like to me that the people who are saying that this shouldn't talked about are saying is that Michael Sam should've stayed in the closet.

1 person likes this.