1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen expects Rockets to make a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 4, 2014.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed that his numbers make him look better than he actually is.

All the same, I know you remember the days of us being tortured by Mehmet Okur and his manboobs. Having a seven footer that's close to automatic from downtown would help us tremendously, given our style of play.

He's at the bottom of my trade wishlist, but I can't pretend like the idea of acquiring isn't at least a little enticing.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hawes is one of those dudes who I don't hope we trade for, but I would be content if he ended up with us. He'd certainly help.

3. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

LOL @ that poster repping Udoh+Neal for Lin+Motiejunas. Give up two players with solid potential for a bust and a scrub who plays no defense and chucks up the dumbest shots known to man?

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Inflated stats or not, he would be a perfect back-up and/or running mate for Howard. Trading him would get them something as opposed to nothing if he walks. Hopefully they can throw in Evan Turner.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hawes has certain skills but I would give up anything significant to give him. The reports were that Philly offered Hawes or Turner for Asik but would not throw in a 1st round pick and are currently shopping Hawes and Turner for 1st round picks.

I would not give up Asik for Hawes. Nor would I give up a 1st round pick for Hawes. Rather than spending any assets on Hawes, I'd rather run with the guys we have already.

Hawes' 3 point shooting is useful but he doesn't protect the rim. Not being a rim protector hurts his usefulness at least as much as his shooting helps a team. Philly's defense is horrible and Hawes not being a rim protector is one of the main culprits.

He is also an unrestricted FA so you will either lose him or have to (over)pay him.

If the Rockets wanted a big guy who can shoot can not protect the rim, Patrick Patterson is likely available for cheaper.

6. coffeelover665

True, and his very bad interior defense is actually masked by the ultra fast pace they play. If you slow it down a bit, you'll see a further dip in defensive production.

7. coffeelover665

I'm also an advocate for PPat. He has improve his rebounding and defenses. He read the PNR better then last year, and is not a selfish player.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P_2UpQwANfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#BringPpathome

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Patrick Patterson is not a back up center.

9. Carl Herrera

Neither is Spencer Hawes.

And Patterson's salary is low enough that trading for him doesn't have to involve giving up Asik, the actually good center to back up Dwight Howard.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're missing the point. I understand Hawes is not the best of starting centers. That's all fine because he would be backing up Howard here. He's perfect for that role.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Have you forgotten the fact that Asik does not want to be here?

12. Carl Herrera

He is here and playing. Whether he wants to be a starter elsewhere doesn't matter as long as he is performing.

And if he has to be traded, the team needs to get an actual competent center-- like Taj Gibson or Chuck Hayes-- not Spencer Hawes.

There is no point in throwing a nominal "center" out there at all when they do next to nothing to protect the area around the rim. You might as well just throw Jones or DMo out there if your other choice is Hawes.

13. Asian Sensation

Incoming: Gortat, Al Harrington, Otto Porter Jr.

Outgoing: Asik, D-mo, cash or 2nd rounder.

Gortat and Harrington are both expiring contracts. Gortat is used to backing up Dwight and he fills a lot of our needs as a backup center. Someone that can protect the rim, rebound, finish around the hoop, mobile etc. Harrington... I've always been a fan of his game. He's 33 but he brings that veteran leadership/experience and he's the OG stretch 4 we clamor for. He's old I know but I think he has one last good run in him and he can help us tremendously in our run. He'd be hungry for a chance at a ring too. Otto has struggled mightily but I think he still has great potential. Just needs time and a different staff/environment.

Why the Wizards do this? They get a young starting center in Asik on a good contract and Asik will finally be happy to have a full time roll again. D-mo has complained about minutes and he's an interesting young prospect for the Wiz and he will get ample opportunity there. Wizards get at least one for sure if not 2 starters for a long time to build around Wall and Beal.

I think this is a good deal for us to add depth, make a serious push for a title while adding a young intriguing piece and the best part... If you don't like the deal we get Cap Flexibility and leaves options for moves in the summer since Gortat and Harrington are expirings.

1 person likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Man Carl, i'm so used to you not being funny, that's it's hard to tell if you are trying to be funny. So i lol anyway:grin:.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Nah, Wiz aint giving up on Porter already. Plus Gortat to Asik is a lateral move at best. He's blocking more shots than Asik did last year as a starter.

1 person likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL no it's not. Asik is a defensive beast, while Gortat is only decent defensively, blocks don't tell the story. Gortat wouldn't be the worst option, but he would most likely whine even more than Omer is about being a back-up.

I still really like D-mo, I think he's gonna be a really good player when some team decides to actually work him in the post and Al Harrington is a corpse.

Otoo Porter, meh. High pick in a terrible class.

17. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

why would Morey trade away an elite defender for a marginal center in hawes? keeping asik this year and next surely isn't a bad idea as long as les is willing to spend.

on the other hand, gortat is actually a good idea. he isn't asik, but maybe him and a first round pick for asik is pretty fair. we can also try to sign gortat at mle in the offseason, if he is willing to come off the bench. otherwise maybe keep asik for elite d or for future trade.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

PPat would actually be a very nice addition to the team as it is currently constructed. I imagine you would be ecstatic to get one of your favorite players back too;).

19. Raven

Raven Member

Ten days until the real deadline, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.

20. TuanDinhVu

TuanDinhVu Member

Asik looked happier (smiling during the Milwaukee game). Maybe he has resolved to stay and try to make it work? Maybe he realizes that with him, the Rockets are a real contender. How many times do players have a chance for a ring?