1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was projected as 3 or 4th rounder. I wonder if he will be drafted now. Ever hear about Kerry Rhodes?

Why do you have to bring politics into this forum you could keep it in the D&D.

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

I thought Richie Incognito and Jason Martin were the first openly gay players in the NFL.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

It would eventually die down. I mean what more can you talk about once the games begin?

I know it's not the same but the Teo or w/e his name is story was huge in college about the fake GF. It was a non story once he was drafted. I know it's not the same but the media circus won't go on all season.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Poor example. The media coverage of sexuality (Collins) and religion (Tebow) are intense and incessant.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

The hoopla surrounding Tebow when he was actually playing wasn't about religion. It was about his play on the field.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

expected to be a late 3rd or early 4th...but i have to say...its really bold and extremely risky. He is really risking a lot just by coming out. The players in an NFL locker room isnt as politically correct as players in other pro sports.

While he may be a good player, I hope that people evaluating him will look past the fact that he came out and give him a fair shot to prove his skills.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3ZvG96-zDvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Congrats to him; it takes guts to do this otherwise, but doing it right before the draft? That
    's awesome. I bet he will be one hell of a player; love for the Texans to draft him

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sorry to see you're confused. I plainly stated that I was only going by what had been posted. Not really that confusing.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Teams may not want the media scrutiny but somebody did it with Vick, Jones, Clarett and so on.....I get that there are going to be excuses not to draft/sign him but let's save the media scrutiny one because that's just a cover.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why not wait till after signing the contract??... Dumb ass move.... He will never be fully respected or accepted by whichever team takes a chance on him

11. Summer Song Giver

They should at least let him the play the month everyone wears pink.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think his teeth are worse than Harden's teeth.

13. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Michael Sam loves sacks.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

So your checking him out?:p

15. amaru

amaru Member

Take it to D&D buddy.

16. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Suffer no negative consequences? are you crazy? This takes a ton of bravery.

That's good you don't care, but a ton of people do. Try to put yourself in this man's shoe's for a minute.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Much like with Jason Collins (old, slow, no skills whatsoever), Michael Sam is facing an uphill battle to get into the league regardless given the fact that he's 24, undersized and doesn't really have a position.

Maybe he'll make it; maybe he wont. I wish him the best of luck. If he fails, all I'm saying is consider the aforementioned factors before you start any "coming out = career death sentence" rants.

18. Major

Major Member

How does the above fit with the below?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Shame on ESPN for pretending like this is a story. Who gives a **** what his sexual preference is.

20. Major

Major Member

Quite a few people, based on the comments from GMs, players, scouts, etc.