1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Rockets are an Elite Defensive Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jbasket, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

According to Clutch's tweet recently, Asik will be back practicing tomorrow. Great news to hear. Will this cut into Dmo's minutes? I don't know how to embed tweets, but it is there.

It is quite easy to leave it out, when discussing ways players can play better.

Ppat played good defence when he was with the Rockets. That is why he was the backup center.

You can't hide lack of effort, other than with a shot blocker on occasion. Mchale getting his players to give effort is a different discussion. Explain how a prototypical defence works in your opinion.

Don't we all wish we had Thibodeau?

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

Nobody knows the exact details but the coaches and the players themselves. We can only see how often it completely breaks down and how often the rotation doesn't work and how often the players get into defensive situations and act like they don't know which course of action they are supposed to take. We can only see interior screens happen and Beverley standing in the middle of the court guarding nothing, or trailing 2 feet behind his own man all the way to the basket after getting screened on the perimeter, once again, guarding absolutely nothing.

Don't we all wish we had Thibodeau? Certainly not, but most of us probably do.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Not what Greg Anthony said.

4. RocketPowerNick

You must not be watching this Suns game.. HARDEN PLAY SOME D

1 person likes this.
  5. jbasket

jbasket Member

Article about Asik's return: great for the defence.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...back-in-the-gym-and-teammates-are-encouraged/

I couldn't, had interviews to do. Harden can play D, it is just whether he wants to. I have never denied his ability to.

He is not the smartest cat around.

Actually, there are general principles constant in most defences. I have watched film of the miami heat to go over defensive principles for my team. Disagree completely with your first statement.

You do know the purpose of the screen is to get Beverley trailing 2 feet? That is why screens are used... to free up the designated player. Also, he is "standing in the middle of the court" because of helpside defence.

6. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

You can't be elite defense giving up 100+ points per game

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Sure you can if you play at a high pace like the Rockets do.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

higher pace = more possessions = more chances at scoring = generally higher scoring games. So, yes, actually. Points per possession/Defensive Rating are more accurate.

9. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

points per possession, points per possession, points per possession. Please everybody stop looking at points per game

10. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I should say points/100 possessions, but same thing.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

It still surprises me how many media members criticize the Rockets D because they give up "x" amount of points per game, clearly oblivious to the number of possessions.