1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How realistic is it for the Rockets to put together a compelling package for Kevin Love?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

The Rockets own two 2nd rounders from NYK (2014/2015), one 2nd rounder from MIN (2015), and one 2nd rounder from POR (2017).

We could theoretically offer 2-3 non-consecutive 1st rounders, up to 4 2nd rounders, and 2-5 impact players:

Bev
    Lin
    Parsons
    Jones
    Asik

I didn't want to start this in the Random Trade Idea thread because I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts about Kevin Love specifically.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I would trade anyone on our roster for Kevin Love.

3. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

I wouldn't trade Dwight.

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Discussions would start at Terrence Jones and Chandler Parsons.

Would you be willing to trade Jones, Parsons, Asik, maybe Beverley and picks for Love?

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kevin Love is good but has so far shown to be an empty stats padder.

I'm not going to blow up the entire team for him knowing he'd still be at best 2nd option on offense.

6. Progs

Progs Member

Jones, Asik, Lin, Future 1st rounder.

7. RocketPowerNick

Jones, Parsons, Bev, + Asik (maybe some picks too) for Love and a guard shooter/perimeter defender.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the rockets have a really talented and complete team that just lacks experience, maturity, and elite level coaching (not saying mchale is bar or good, but he's surely not elite). in other words i think if they keep this group together for the next 3 years or so they should become something special.

that being said, i'd give up anyone who isn't harden/dwight for a legitimate third star.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

If, by "empty stats padder" you mean a PF that is:

#1 in assists among PFs
    #2 in the NBA in rebounds
    #8 in the NBA in Points Per Shot

then please.......give me more stat padders.

1 person likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Discussion starts and stops at:

Lin, Asik, Jones, Dmo and any draft considerations you want to give. Parsons will absolutely not be moved in a Kevin Love deal.

This team is not a Kevin Love away from contending. This team is a few more good defensive role players and time gelling away contention. They need depth and holes filled, not another workhorse. Now don't get me wrong, I would love to have Kevin Love, but I am not giving up any of our core pieces for him, because two other lesser options would give us a better product without having to give up our depth.

The Rockets will have the ability to have near max dollars in 2015 if they so choose, without having to give up Parsons/Beverley (although Jones, Dmo and our next two firsts would have to go).

If you are Morey, you make that offer and if they refuse you wait until 2015 free agency and try again. If it chooses to go to LA, you use your 15 million in cap space and try and nab Dragic/Milsap instead.

This team cannot afford to give up it's depth.

1 person likes this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The rockets can put together something compelling if they include parsons jones and bev(good contract).
    But the thing is, and I can't emphasize this enough on this board, other teams have so much more to offer!
    Minnesota would take a top 5 pick over anything we offer besides harden and Howard. Say Sacramento has the fifth pick next year. They would probably part with it and other pieces to pair love and cousins together. Then Minnesota would have two lottery picks in a packed draft.

12. Classic

Classic Member

Give us Brewer while you're at it Wolves

13. SeabrookMiglla

I agree, defense is a big problem right now with asik and Smith out

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Teams with top five picks would be hesitant to trade for Love though for fear he would leave when his contract is up.

15. amak316

amak316 Member

Id trade Harden in 2 tenths of a second for Love. Kevin Love is a great player on a terribly built team. All the pieces on the Twolves are so horribly put together and they all accentuate each others weaknesses.

I think our team with be like 8 wins better trading Harden for Love. It would turn our biggest weakness into a strength, and Lin could step in and take Hardens role with a smaller drop off than most think.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I also disagree with the notion that the rox wouldn't part with parsons for love. Morey knows parsons is going to get paid, probably more than they would like to, and he would most definitely sees Love as a third star that he's been chasing forever.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That's a good point. Just saying Houston doesn't come close to having the most to offer.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I believe that Morey would consider giving up Parsons and Jones for Love. However, ultimately I don't think that he would offer BOTH and I don't think that it would take both if Love became available.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets can offer a whole lot.

Jones and Parsons both have a lot of value and the Rockets have a number of draft picks and salary cap flexibility. The real question is how much would Morey realistically offer.

20. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Would trade Harden for Love. Minnesota would want a long term "star" contract for Love. Harden is locked up for the next 4 years for them. A front court of Love and Harden would be truly dominant.