1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inbound Plays

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dookiester, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

Serious question: how hard is it to inbound the ball? Seems like this Rockets squad struggles more than any other team I've watched. Is this a coaching issue? Lack of execution? Bad luck? Combination of all 3? Just never seen any team at any level of basketball have so much trouble throwing the ball into play.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I cannot remember another Rockets team good or bad have this much trouble on inbound plays and last second shots. Aside from a couple Harden Isos where he nails deep jumpers with a high degree of difficulty, it feels like we've got 0-fer on every other attempt. It's frankly embarrassing and will become our Achilles heel in the playoffs.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't remember any team ever seeing this much trouble inbounding the ball. It's not just tonight. It's not just inbounding. It seems when the game tightens up and the defense intensity picks up, we can't do a whole lot. That's the issue that bothers me with this team.

We play so well up until crunch time. We choke way too much.

1 person likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Parsons is a GREAT passer. Probably the best on the team since he can see over the defense...but man that was bad!

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

This one is all on the coaching... every other team has a set inbound play... you see them start in a formation, sets picks double picks to free up their man... this team... nada... 0 ... nothing...

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

EVERYTHING is on the coaching. Including missed free throws.

7. anchel

anchel Member

Players don't run / pass hard enough.

8. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

another one in my ignore list... troll somewhere else please...

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Lol...? Okay then! :rolleyes:

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Parsons almost pulled a Deron Williams

11. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

This is a coaching issue. The Celtics get so many easy points on inbound plays because Brad Stevens draws up great plays. McHale is not a good x's and o's type of coach, and I think this is the reason we struggle on inbounds plays.

12. quatin

quatin Member

When I watch the Rockets setup for in bounding, I know what they're trying to do, but it's poorly executed. That's the coaches fault. When your team can't even inbound a ball game after game, you need to drill in bounding more during practice.

The players are also at fault sometimes. Howard sets weak ass screens that are very telegraphed. Lin and Brooks both try to create their own screens by running around people, which can work, but with a small window. However, 2 guys doing it simultaneously confuses the in bounder, because both of them are difficult passes. Sometimes, the in bounder doesn't even look like he knows the play. He is scanning the court for an open man, instead of looking at 1 set player to get open and if that fails, look to the 2nd set player. However, these are all corrections the coach needs to make.

TLDR;

We need to practice in bounding during practice. McHale needs to drill set play in bounding. Are we trying R&R in bounding too?

13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

u know u could just get close and hand it to the player. Everyone was going away from the ball or they didn't get closer to make the pass more secure... its like they didn't want the responsibility of shooting Fts in the last seconds

14. yunac010

yunac010 Member

It seems like when the defensive intensity goes up and the game is on the line, this team just becomes frazzled. I still remember Parsons inbounding to Dwight of all people in that Lakers game.

15. arjun

arjun Member

That inbound play to brooks for a layup with 0.9 on the clock was nifty..

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I hate that the Rockets have their guys spread out, as opposed to being stacked on a line and then rolling out. This boils down to poor play designs, more than execution. I would love for the Rockets to work on situational drills more, bc they are piss poor!!

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

With 2 game in 9 days @home starting tomorrow, we have no excused to get the practice time and work on several out of bound plays.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I have the same trouble sometimes on NBA2K...but I'm not a professional basketballer paid millions...

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Brad Stevens is on a whole another level than Mchale. It may be his "rookie" year in the NBA, but that guy is a good coach.

20. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I asked the same question in the "Fire Mchale" thread, but looks like I wasn't the only one wondering what the hell Parsons was passing too. I dont know if it was on Mchale, because maybe Parsons didn't follow the play, but it seemed like no screens or anything were drawn up to get the ball to a player for a quick shot or setup. I thought for a second the play didn't materialize and Parsons ahd no choice but to throw it there...but it didnt even look like Mchale drew anything up at all