1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jlfans

jlfans Member

No. There will be a small fan base team without LOFs. So that's meaningless.

2. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

We were doing just fine before Lin and we will do just fine after Lin.

3. rocketblood713

Yea I dont hate Lin or Beverley cause I know they are still young players who are learning but make sure u dont confuse trolls with die hard Rockets fans ....

I love PBs heart hustle and attitude the blocks the steals the getting under people skin but like everyone else I hate when he misses gimmie lay ups or open 3's doesnt mean I want him gone

I love Lin driving to the basket hes good at it and when he doesnt think and attacks and is knocking down 3's what more do u want but like PB he does things I dont like but its doesnt mean i want him gone ...

the end of the day the only thing that matters to us Rockets fans is the W dont care how you got it who got it why we got as long as its a W if its a L hell breaks loose on Clutchfans till then next W and then its forgotten

4. Remii

Remii Member

Even long time Rockets fans be ready to trade Harden when he has a bad game (not Parsons though), so
    I don't mind the LOFs... It's those McHale Only Fans I can't stand.

5. Gertso

Gertso Member

Oh sweet Jesus why did I walk into this thread?

6. cebu

cebu Member

This is so very true, Lin is at his best when he is in attack mode.

My problem is Lin does not believe it, he is mentally uncomfortable about it.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I can agree to the bolded part. I started as a YOF and grew to love the team and stayed a Rox fan even after Yao retired. The difference is Yao was actually a darn good if not great player, a LEGITIMATE all-star. There was never a question whether Yao should come off the bench and be the 6th man. That helps I guess.

Anyways, I have no problem with anyone starts as a xOF as I've been one myself. But nonetheless, the key word is "start" here. You can't become a true team fan if you don't support the rest of the team, and keep trashing the coaching stuff and his teammates whenever he struggles. Otherwise you'll forever be labelled a xOF.

You think CF fans are vicious? LOL. You must be new to the sports world, or at least sport forums.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm fully aware that there is much more to look at than a players per, but good grief!

+26 against Portland, efficient scoring the ball with only 2 turns

+31 against The Kings with 8 dimes and no turnovers.

I love what P Bev brings to the team, hope he can sustain that kind of play.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The thread is clear: Patrick Beverly deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

10. ada32

ada32 Member

Beverley definitely deserves to be a starter! His energy and hustle play is at a different level than Lin.

He did a good job on Westbrook, and Cousins!

What is his next target #3?

[​IMG]

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except even the indirect comparison is obviously wrong. Westbrook is covered above; Lebron plays virtually all important minutes for the Heat so his net on off rating is kvs the rest of the Heat is of little consequence.

There's also a fair amount of additional statistical evidence in favor of Westbrook and James reflective of the fact that they are respectively an all-NBA caliber guard and an epic, dominant once-in-a-lifetiime player - and indicating that Lin is a backup combo guard on a good team.

Then of course there's the intuitive smell test that you failed above, and which also indicates that Bev is a much better complement to Harden.

So - good try.

1 person likes this.
  12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Too bad Beverley won't be an all-star. He could do some WORK in that game.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fan base of real Rockets fans never increased when Lin only fans joined.
    you brought no Rockets fans.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aNa3Co83_gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The overreactions in this thread are silly -- Lin isn't sitting on the end of the bench wearing a suit -- he played 30 minutes last night to Bev's 33 minutes. Lin is still a huge part of the team regardless if he starts or comes off the bench.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cheetah,

Like I mentioned before, the only real Lin fans are Rockets fans.
    These Lin fans living in new york or california or north korea aren't watching these games. I doubt they watch these games, they just read about them and then watch youtube videos of lin in new york.

Rockets fans watch Rockets games, therefore watch Jeremy Lin play.

We're the real Lin fans. Jeremy Lin. They only are fans of Lin's ethnicity and fame, not the person.

1 person likes this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lin fans are hilarious but in the wrong way. Most of them just get up, see the box score and then come to their conclusions. If the statline is good, comments like "Lin should be the primary ball handler", "Lin is an all-star" surface. If the statline is bad, "McHale is a racist" "Rockets are marginalizing Lin"

They could care less about the game or how Lin actually played.

Pure comedy.

2 people like this.
  17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I was wrong at the beginning of the season when I said Lin should be the starter. McHale seen something that I didn't see because Beverley is out there handling his business. Last season when we acquired Beverley he played with a lot of energy coming out the bench. Lin played pretty good after the all star break. That is what I based my reasoning off of.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's all about face-saving. Not being the starter is a tangible insult, like failing to get first chair violin - that must be rebuffed regardless of the actual consequence.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

While I agree that numbers and statistics can be spun to paint an unrealistic picture, the only small issue I might have with the article is the small-ish sample size. Those are valid and relevant numbers. If we had 30-40 games worth of those I would call it a very reliable data set.

There is where I start to disagree. I do think Lin has the tools to be a more explosive offensive player. At the beginning of the year I thought he was a better two way player without question. Since his return from injury he hasn't been the same player. Yes, small sample size again but it's the only thing we can examine for "current" play.

And Lin has had many chances to succeed. He's had a few of those Linsanity type of games in Houston. I don't think he's lacked the opportunities to develop. Or to learn. He may not have had the ideal coaching around him but we're talking about NBA level coaches. And I don't mean just McHale. Trainers, assistants, etc. And I would argue Beverley has had just as steep of a learning curve considering he wasn't in the NBA until what, halfway through last season? Talk about a culture change. So, since Pat came to the team more recently than Lin, technically he's had less time to develop or learn from coaches, veterans, etc. And he wasn't getting Lin's playing time to start either. So has Lin really underperformed based on those reasons?

I agree with most of this aside from what I highlighted. If Lin's confidence is that badly shaken based on his journey or lack of appreciation he's probably not going to have a long career in the NBA. Any professional athlete that's not supremely gifted will have a difficult journey. The ones that can't handle the pressure or pitfalls along the way just don't hang around very long. And let's be honest. We all know Lin's race played a factor here. I love an underdog story and I'm pulling for Lin to snap out of his recent slump. But for those same reasons (underdog) I'm pulling for Pat to succeed. Never mind the fact that their Rockets, right?

And I'm not sure what you mean by "the easy way out". Was trading for Howard the easy way out? Harden? Heck we gave Lin away then signed him back, was that the easy way? When it's all said and done I'm rooting for the dudes with "Houston" across their chest. Even when they're crushing my soul. Texans I'm looking at you.

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

I am dying a little bit inside right now. This is a pet peeve of mine.

They're.

:(