1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Houston in: Spencer Hawes, Jan Vasely, Jason Richardson
    New Orleans in: Nene Hillario, Thad Young, Evan Turner
    Washington: Jermey Lin, Omer Asik, Ryan Anderson, Austin Rivers
    76ers: Eric Gordon, Porter Jr, Chris Singleton, D-Mo

Houston does it: adds more playoff experience Spencer Hawes, a more polished version of D-Mo in Vasely, Jason Richardson might be expiring not sure though.

Bev., Harden, Parson, T. Jones, Howard
    Aaron Brooks (hooping starting to get back in basketball groove as the 6th offensive threat), Garcia as (9th or 10th option if Jason Rich get healthy could take this role), Casspi, Vesely, and Hawes bench (this would put him in a Raef Lafrentz in Mavericks days type of role). could see us in San Antonio in conference finals with this lineup could see us beating LA clips, OKC, and Golden State.

New Orleans does it: to experiment with a lineup of Holiday, Evans, Evan Turner, Thundercat Uni Brow, and Nene pretty solid starting 5 (potentially if not let Evan Turner expire.

76ers does it so Morey Jr. can make a similar move to the 2010 Kevin Martin move and can also continue to tank and push for a playoff spot next year. Singleton could be a solid pick up for them and D-Mo is a cheap gamble like buying off brand wine you might win you might lose who cares.

Washington is biggest winner in this trade an underrated team gets better and could take Miami with D-wade to 6 games in 2nd round and 7 without a semi-healthy D wade. John Wall, Jeremy Lin, Trevor Ariza (Ryan Anderson here next year),Marcin Gortat, Omer Asik is a dangerous lineup and pretty young could give Pacers a run for their money.

2. acefan18

acefan18 Member

If we make any deal with the celtics I want GERALD WALLACE!!! A tough, hard nosed, defensive minded player, that also brings veteran leadership. I think he fits the mold for a player this young Rockets roster is in need of. I wouldn't be opposed to Asik for Wallace and picks, but if you want to extend that into Asik/Lin for Wallace/Rondo and whatever fillers are necessary I would be exstatic with that deal as well. Not sure how the salary would match up.

3. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Steve Clifford has turned Al into playing defense at Center he will be fine at PF IMO, honestly we dont really know loool, but I respect your opinion.

Yea, I wish they could get Afflalo and Asik IMO that would help them alot.

REally word in Charlotte is they are willing to trade all their picks,MKG, and Gordon if it means them getting something really good in return.

4. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

If we make any deal with the celtics I want GERALD WALLACE!!! A tough, hard nosed, defensive minded player, that also brings veteran leadership. I think he fits the mold for a player this young Rockets roster is in need of. I wouldn't be opposed to Asik for Wallace and picks, but if you want to extend that into Asik/Lin for Wallace/Rondo and whatever fillers are necessary I would be exstatic with that deal as well. Not sure how the salary would match up.

Come offseason I wouldnt be opposed to a Jeremy Lin/Asik/Garcia/Brewer for Rondo/Wallace Sullinger.....

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

we need to trade our lazy defensive effort for an urgent desire to actually stop the other team.

6. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

How about this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mx55j5k

Add a 2nd from Rockets to Heat if needed.

Miami: Reports say that they are looking for backcourt help, because D Wade is hurt and is in and out of the lineup. JR can be that scoring punch they need to spare Wade some time. This is the type of locker room he needs to be in and I think it would do wonders for him (look at Beasley). My only concern would be if Miami think Bosh or LeBron isn't coming back, would they make the deal for JR's contract.

New York: They may or may not make the playoffs. Melo may or may not come back. Not knowing the outcome of the team or Melo's decision, why not shake things up and take a gamble. JR has been a problem child and you get rid of his contract. I know they would like to keep Chandler, but he has been voicing his displeasure and you replace him with Asik. I feel Lin can regain his Linsanity if given freedom, and this could catapult them into playoffs and may also convince Melo to resign. If not they will have Lin for one more year to keep that fan base happy.

Houston: I would hate to lose Lin cause I like what he brings off the bench (except the turnovers), but we get a backup C and gain two defensive vets. I believe the TT would work with Chandler and Howard when we play the bigger teams like Portland or SA. Battier brings the perimeter D and another body to throw at Durant, plus a stretch 4 we are looking for. Next year we would also have a big expiring contract and assets to trade for this "Third Star" that everyone wants.

7. rogower

rogower Member

Here is a non-exhaustive list of bad contracts. Before you post a trade idea, check the list. Daryl Morey will not trade for anyone on this list between now and Feb 20 (trade deadline).

In alphabetical order:

Andrea Bargnani
    Carlos Boozer
    Kobe Bryant
    Wilson Chandler
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Jamal Crawford
    Glen Davis
    DeMar DeRozan
    Tyreke Evans
    Kevin Garnett
    Rudy Gay
    Taj Gibson
    Eric Gordon
    Jeff Green
    Gerald Henderson
    Nene Hilario
    Jarrett Jack
    Al Jefferson
    Brandon Jennings
    Joe Johnson
    O.J. Mayo
    Zaza Pachulia
    Kendrick Perkins
    Tayshaun Prince
    Zach Randolph
    Josh Smith
    J.R. Smith
    Amare Stoudemire
    Jason Thompson
    Marcus Thornton
    John Wall
    Gerald Wallace

1 person likes this.
  8. joesr

joesr Member

Is this your list?? Did Morey put this out?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Why is Garnett on that list?

His contract wouldn't interfere with 2015 plans.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well, you mean we don't see coaches try, but we don't see coaches try because he's so slow. Defensively he's very slow for a center.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think Morey published it. I always knew Morey was a John Wall and Cousins hater. A shame, they are coming along nicely.

13. allaroundplayer

Now Healthy, Len Making Big Impact for Suns
    By Matt Petersen, Suns.com
    Posted: Jan. 21, 2014

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/now-healthy-len-making-big-impact-suns

Tonight will be a good barometer for both centers vs. Pacers.

14. rogower

rogower Member

It's not about "2015 plans," it's about value, it's always about value. Kevin Garnett will be paid $12 mil in 2014-15 to be an average (if not below average) player. Not a good value.

If you have a roster full of good values, of nice bang-for-your-buck contracts, then you can easily move these contracts whenever you want. If you need to create some cap space to sign a free agent, or to execute a trade, no problem. So it has nothing to do with "2015 plans." The key is value, and cap flexibility. All of the dudes on the list above represent poor values, which is why they will not be ending up on the Houston roster. Note that I am not saying that all of the dudes on the above list suck. Only that none of them provide good value. Note that by "good value," what I mean is "bang for your buck." Taj Gibson is a solid player but a team should not be paying the guy $8-$9 mil/year for the next 3-4 years.

15. baller4life315

Well, yeah, if we're being that simple.

The irony of this sort of discussion is the fact that we have a player like Asik rotting away on the bench. Normally, Asik is very valuable. Normally, Garnett is very valuable.

15-8 last year during the regular season, 13-14 in the playoffs last year and he's shooting nearly 70% from the field now in the month of January. He's getting better as the season goes along. A change of scenery (if he waives his no-trade clause) would do wonders for him.

Do you mean to tell me if this Asik situation drags on into mid-February, you wouldn't do a straight up swap of Asik-for-KG?

I would in a heartbeat. Veteran 4/5 that's unselfish and battle-tested. Brings a boatload of intangibles and toughness into our locker room. One "valuable" player for another. :)

16. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

really ? $10M/year through 2016 for a washed up wallace ?

17. acefan18

acefan18 Member

I think a change of scenery would do him good. Something to think of is what the celtics are willing to package to get rid of that contract. Multiple picks, rondo, Avery Bradley? I'll take Wallace and his contract with the belief that coming to a contender will reignite his career, and if not, just be a mean, tenacious defender.

18. rogower

rogower Member

Agreed that paying Asik a bunch of money to not even play is not ideal, but the idea is to not replace a bad investment with another bad investment. $12 mil should and does get you a lot more than a 38- or 39-year-old with insane wear and tear.

When Asik is playing, he's good value at his current cap number ($8.3 mil). But never mind what that cap number is in the third and final year (i.e., next year) of his contract. He gets paid $14.9 mil in 2014-15. Not good value, at all, which is why Daryl Morey would like to move him by Feb 20. Same deal with Jeremy Lin. Morey would like to turn Asik, Lin, and Donatas Motiejunas into a really good veteran PG (e.g., Rajon Rondo, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley) and a nice, reasonably paid backup 4/5 (e.g., Spencer Hawes). I think Morey has a good chance at being successful, too.

19. baller4life315

I'm with you, rogower.

I just happen to think KG's days of playing meaningful basketball aren't over. Between that and the intangibles factor, I think he would be a great addition. The type of player we could trust in a Game 7 or during a stretch where Jones is in over his head.

20. joesr

joesr Member

If he isn't taking bad contracts back ie that list you put out I don't see it happening.