1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Mettenberger - The Best QB That Won't Cost the Best Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brandyon, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

What makes Blake Bortles a top 10 pick, while Zach Mettenberger is a 2nd-3rd rounder?

In my mind, Zach Mettenberger is the real value at QB during the first 3 rounds of the 2014 draft. Many of the QB's have their value inflated due to the position they play, but for whatever reason Mettenberger seems to get overlooked.

He had a fantastic year under the Cam Cameron led LSU offense, and despite a knee injury at the end of the season, should be 100% come training camp. What jumps out at me is Mettenberger's YPA(10.4). Essentially, he threw for the same number of yards per attempt as Bryce Petty of Baylor's vertical attack. That's something I want in a Bill O'Brien offense. Take a look at the comparisons for 2013:

Zach Mettenberger
    July 16, 1991 (age 22)
    Listed Height: 6-5
    Listed Weight: 230lbs
    Completion: 64.9%
    YPA: 10.4
    TD/INT: 22/8
    Rating: 171.4
    ADJ QBR: 85.1

Blake Bortles
    Dec 16, 1991 (age 22)
    Listed Height: 6-4
    Listed Weight: 230lbs
    Completion: 67.8%
    YPA: 9.4
    TD/INT: 25/9
    Rating: 163.4
    ADJ QBR: 78.9

They are remarkably similar. Both have ideal size, which is supposedly what's propelled Bortles to the top 10. Bortles is known to be more athletic, though he won't be confused with Andrew Luck or Cam Newton.

I don't know about most people, but I'll take the guy who had significantly more success throwing down field, in an NFL OC's offense, in the SEC West, with a 2nd-3rd round pick instead of a 1st.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd be stunned if Bortles is anywhere near a top 10 pick...he was unnecessarily hyped. He would be a huge mistake as a first round pick...he looks more like a 2nd round or lower pick to me.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

no thanks on mettenschaub

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I would be surprised if he didn't go top 15. His stock will only rise from here as everything between now and the draft (Combine, Pro Day) will almost exclusive evaluate physical characteristics, which is where he excels.

Like the 2011 (Locker 8, Gabbert 10, Ponder 12) he seems like a lock to be undeservedly propelled to the top of the draft.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Arm is close to Flacco

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

QB position is the one position where there's no point in trying to get your bang for the buck. The only reason for the Texans to pick a QB in the 2nd or later round is if they dislike all the 1st round QBs. Otherwise, just take Teddy or JFF or whoever they love with the 1st pick and be done with it.

7. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Not even a remotely similar as prospects.

Schaub's best YPA in college was 7.3, which is a Gabbert-esque, check-down joke.

8. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

That mentality has cost a number of GM's their job. The 1st pick is the last pick you can afford a bust with. Best player available should carry more weight in the decision than need.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

legs + pocket presence identical to schaub.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you know what else gets GM's fired?

not having a franchise qb

11. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

And they exist beyond the 1st round.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

One of:

bridgewater
    manziel
    bortles
    boyd

Will be a franchise QB. It's up to Rick & OB to figure out who it is.

This team needs a QB. No use playing around. Identify the franchise qb, and draft him 1.1

Mettenschaub is nothing special. Just a statue with a strong arm. Who cares.

13. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Mettenschaub. Nice little nickname. Sure, it doesn't make any realistic sense and strengthens the suggestion that you don't know what you're talking about, but it's cute.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Listening to the Brett Kollmann podcast on sportsradio 610 earlier, I have to say I agree with everything he says. He clearly has done more homework than any other pundit I've heard thus far.

By his nomination, I would propose Aaron Murray as the best "value pick" QB of the draft.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Mettenberger is a statue with a strong arm. No thanks, especially in today's style of NFL play.

If we want to take Clowney at #1 and grab a QB in the second or third rounds, I'm much more in favor of Aaron Murray or Tajh Boyd (if he falls that far).

Although I prefer we just take Bridgewater or maybe even JFF at #1 and be done with it.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

ESPN is the reason behind the hype...otherwise, he'd be looked at as a 3rd rounder (which is what the majority of scouts see). There are going to be plenty of QBs that will have rising stocks based on measurables, Bortles wont be the only one. He's just not that good of a QB and I think there will be at least 4-5 QBs that go ahead of him.

17. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Nice resource, thanks. I've actually heard a few scouts who've said something similar about Aaron Murray being the best QB to drop later in the draft.

One of those guys who saw a regression after his previous year, but you don't have to look far to see that it was due to losing so many weapons on offense in 2013. He's on the small side, but that doesn't worry me as much when a prospect is picked up in later rounds. I'd be happy to pick him up in the 3rd if Mettenberger isn't available there.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

how does it not make any sense?

all mettenberger has on schaub is a stronger arm.

everything else is exactly the same.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Which GM ever got fired due to picking the wrong player with the #1 pick and not because they got the #1 pick in the first place?

Care to list all of them?

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Only player with slower legs than Schaub is Brady.