1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Lin needs his confidence back, if not soon we will be seeing him fighting minutes with Canaan

2. Razsan

Razsan Member

In the 2 game stretch when Sampson was attending family matters, Lin was allowed to be the primary ball handler and had 2 VERY nice games. shooting well and passing well. He totaled 17 assists with 5 steals and only 4 TO's. Once they went back to the current offense, he regressed.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lin will be fine, he is just regressing to the mean. There was no way he was going to be able to keep up those numbers from the beginning of the year. He'll do better when he's coming off the bench again.

Regression is a b****.

4. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

the reason is simple, a lack of picks. when he comes off the bench and finally plays with smith and dmo, he'll get plenty of picks and play very well...

5. yummyhawtsauce

hope so. Is smith injured still or he just not seeing the court at all i guess? i like him. we have too many players on the rockets that we wanna see used lol

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I'm going to assume you mean the Celtics/Wizards games, and he had 4 assists and not 5 :)p ). Also those two games he had a USG% lower than his season percentage at 13.7 (last in the starters) in the Celtics game and 18.6 (4th in the starters) in the Wizards game. Not sure that means be was the primary ball handler, but he still played 2 great games averaging 17/8.5/2stls/2TO. Just like the rest of the season (other than the Phi game) his three point shot wasn't falling, but at least he was shooting 56% from the field.

I like Lin better as the 6th man since we need offense from the bench. Bev will not provide the same offensive spark that lin would give. Give me Bev as the starter but both Lin and Bev averaging the same amount of time.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Still injured, which worries me. It's that same nagging knee injury that's been lingering since the first Knicks game.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So first it was McHale's fault, then Morey's fault and now Sampson's fault for Lin's bad performances? LOL.

Give me a break. Always looking for excuses and pointing fingers to defend Lin. perhaps, just perhaps Lin is a mediocre player who is vastly inconsistent.....

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

The game log shows 3 steals for the Boston game???? Wonder if they reviewed and credited him with another. I've seen a number of cases this year where the wrong player gets a stat credit.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Who has been consistent but JONES lately ?

11. Razsan

Razsan Member

No excuses, I was just pointing out that when someone says "no evidence" that there actually IS evidence that he's played well.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why are you derailing the thread? This is a Lin thread..

To your point, I have not heard others making excuses for Harden or Howard when they have a bad game. They pretty much call it as it is but with Lin it's always because of McHale or Sampson or X or Y ad nauseam.

13. Razsan

Razsan Member

Bad examples...when Harden has a bad game, it's because he ISO's and fails...or plays lazy defense. He's still allowed to play the position that the Rockets have created for him .
    Howard is similar in that his bad games are more related to being clumsy with the ball and letting less talented centers play to his level.
    Lin DEFINITELY is to blame for most of his bad performances but unlike Howard and Harden, he's put out of position and rarely allowed to work through his game.

14. yummyhawtsauce

not true, the explanation they use is, they are superstars or there isn't a legit backup for them because of their talent.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

These are the reasons they are given extended minutes and not substituted. These are not excuses for bad games.

16. gene18

gene18 Rookie

If you can show (Proof) me how Jocar knows that Lin is scared without Lin telling him I will donate 100$ to the Salvation Army.

17. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Off the topic. See my latest post, Show me proof that Lin is scared without Lin telling you.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Everybody here engages in speculation and conjecture -- you included. What Jocar posted about Lin is no different than you opining that McHale has some negative agenda or bias where Lin is concerned. It's your opinion, based on your observations and conclusions you drew therefrom. All any of us can do is speculate, as we aren't in these guys' heads.

19. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

So Bev is starting tonight right?

20. Nook

Nook Member

"When Harden has a bad game, it's because he ISO's and fails...or plays lazy defense. He's still allowed to play the position that the Rockets have created for him."

How arrogant. First, when Harden has a "bad game" it isn't always because of ISO's and being lazy...... this season, many times it has been because he has played through ankle and feet injuries that would sideline many players. Further, his defensive ineptness has gone from being under rated to being wildly exagerrated. Most of his issues were during the periods where he has been hurt. His defense has been far better over the last month.

Last, Harden is averaging 25 points a game, yeah he gets a longer leash because he is a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR better player than Lin and is one of the top 3-4 offensive forces in the NBA.

Ditto for Howard, he is the best center in the NBA, defensively he has a huge impact on the play of the other team.... he is going to get a longer leash and deserves one.

The level of excuses made for Lin are comical.