1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culture Map: Jeremy Lin Benching Reaches New Heights of Insanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

But what about defensively? How much was OKC scoring when Lin was on the bench ? If we're going to score only 19 pts in the 2nd half, at least try to hold the opponent to 18 pts.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member

I don't agree with the article, but what you gave doesn't prove anything. 11 pts vs. 8 pts is that much difference? LOL. 18% and 29% are both terrible, u can't blame that on Lin. I think McHale's sub was alright. Brooks did well in the 1st half, so he deserved more time. I think McHale sub Lin back in a bit too late. Brooks missed 3 3pts in a row and was bad at defense forced McHale to do it. Could have done it earlier, but still ok.

The problem of that 2nd half was because we had no mid range game. Once our 3s weren't working, with the same emphasis of interior defense by OKC, we couldn't score inside either. Lack of mid range caused the embarrassing 19pt 2nd half.

3. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Mchale's rotation was fine since AB was hot in 1st half. But he sub Lin in too late because AB cooled off completely and Reggie Jackson was schooling him.

4. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

This is not relevant.

5. langal

langal Member

Chris Baldwin and Mark De Moor are probably the same person. And he/she is laughing at us right now.

6. rocketblood713

again and again the same bs lol

7. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

It also spends quite a bit if time talking about how he's useless and who they would rather have, which apparently is any other pg.

8. rlivz

rlivz Member

Evidence to support anything you just claimed, other than your favoritism?

9. j3i

j3i Member

I don't think he's assigning blame. More like invalidating the author's notion that playing Lin would have stopped the bleeding.

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

He was arguing that we only scored 19 points in the second half because Lin didn't play more. Given that our futility was even worse with Lin on the floor, why blame his absence on the drought? Putting Lin back in a few minutes early wouldn't solve the issue. 4th quarter, the offense doesn't go through him in any case.

11. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

One thing I noticed is that JLin does not smile much as before. Sign of losing passion? I felt for him. It seems no matter how hard he tries, he just can't mesh with Harden/McHale. Rockets, in my view, is apparently under-utilizing and under-developing him due to Harden's passing ability and additional ball hogging.

I can only hope that he can find positive and motivation from this situation and keep developing his game as much as he can, until the day he finds his right team and coach.

12. durvasa

durvasa Member

It was 16-8 in their favor in the 12 minutes with Lin on the floor.

It was 29-11 in their favor in the 12 minutes with Lin off the floor.

Brooks is a bad defensive player, so that could have been a factor in us giving up so many points without Lin. But there's also the fact that D-Mo played in all 12 minutes when Lin wasn't on the floor, and Dwight only played in about 3 1/2 of those minutes.

#32 durvasa, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  13. TTNN

TTNN Member

It is strange that you didn't bother to check what OKC second half stats when with Lin on the floor versus when he was on the bench.

Here it is for the second half:

With Lin on the floor: OKC got 16 points, with 5-23 FG and 1-10 3pt shooting
    With Lin on the bench: OKC got 29 points, with 12-17 FG and 5-7 3pt shooting.

It seems an obvious thing to look at, given the point he's trying to make.

Come on, looks like Lin has to be good for people to admit that he is not a scrub, and he has to be elite for people to admit that he is good.

14. durvasa

durvasa Member

Its his article, not mine. He was making a point about our offensive futility in the second half which was the story of the game. And I addressed the points given up in a subsequent post.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

It's a team game at the end of the day we got embarrassed and shaq & chuck had a HOWARD & ROCKETS intervention , they didn't mention Lin name once which they shouldn't have. We broke a record by scoring 19pts in the second half. We will see what happens tonight but the only player that has been consistent is JONES lately if you ask me.

16. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

The article has some overstatements but is essentially correct

Lin hasn't been given the backing of the coaching staff to be able to play the role of PG/floor general in the way we see other teams provide to their PGs. And yes, there are a number of instances when he has sat for long durations even when he has played well, or where no matter how well he has played in prior games he will randomly sit in a game. That Lin has handled all of this so well and continues to perform no matter the role he plays is pretty impressive.

Rockets fans should look at it from this standpoint: barring a big trade and assuming you have the current roster for the remainder of the year, what combination of players and style should the team adopt to be competitive with the West's top 5? Lin, playing well and confidently with the backing of the coaching staff to run the offense and overrule Harden/Howard where necessary?or Lin off the bench as their version of Vinny "microwave" Johnson/Jamal Crawford where his primary role is to play the SG and score?

McHale prefers the latter, and it could be said that his plan hasn't had a chance to develop because of injuries to Beverley and Lin over the course of the year. However, it seems to me that Howard-Harden need help. They are not good enough by themselves to elevate this team in the playoffs. The only person on this roster who can raise the level of play for everyone is Jeremy Lin because of his versatility, playmaking ability, and that flair for the dramatic - the Linsane mode x factor.

As a Lin fan, I think he'd be better off statistically playing with the second unit, but if the goal is to go deep in the playoffs, it seems to me that elevating him and empowering him as a starter is the best option for the Rockets. I don't think Beverley has the talent to play such a role and to demand that of him would be unfair.

17. Mikerey

Mikerey Member

Lin Observation

I followed Lin with the Knicks and it was magical. I still have a place in my heart for his game. That being said, if he is traded I will watch. My favorite team will always be the Rockets. I thank Lin for generating my interest in basketball again and having a favorite team like the Rockets. The Rockets should not be about Lin - but the team. In my opinion, Lin is an average point guard. Does that mean I do not like his game - no way. I will still watch him wherever he goes. He is a great kid, but lacks that "mean" streak to be a top 10 PG. He has the talent, but I think he has reached his ceiling. I am waiting to be proven wrong.

I don't post much on CFs because I like reading the posts.:)

18. solid

solid Member

I understand McHale's struggles with utilizing Lin. He obviously has some serious skills, but he has some serious deficiencies as well, one of which is inconsistency. He runs hot and cold offensively, and generally cold defensively. I don't know if the numbers exactly offer support, but that is the take of an observer. On the other hand, without his leadership of the second unit, they are awful. Thus, Beverly goes back to starting, and Lin is back to the "Manu" role. I don't see the problem with that. Whatever is best for the team.

19. Normalus

Normalus Member

Trade him to Celtics for Rondo, LOF's should be happy with that.

20. rlivz

rlivz Member

Did it ever occur to you that the reason he isn't empowered to do that is because he isn't good enough to handle the role?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.