1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Embiid. Would you take him over Wiggins and Parker?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by donatas, Nov 25, 2013.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Bargs.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Your obvisouly drafting Emiid on potential and the highest ceiling of all the prospects. the team that takes him is going to have to bite the bullet and figure he could become an all star type front court player or someone who is just average. However being 7"+ and being average still gets you pay checks

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Darco?

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LZOTtf5ldtI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Embiid is a ****ing MONSTER.
    Too bad he has no post game.
    His footwork and agility is AMAZING though, so the potential is there.

#125 RedRedemption, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

agree, his coordination is great..... really no comp to past blocking stiff like thabeet, you could barely walk and talk at the same time

reminds me a little of Anthony Davis and maybe some Camby man, with a little more muscle and size, he is going to be fun to watch

7. Willard Decker

Revisionist history. Olowakandi improved his stock with a strong second half, but Brown was highly thought of. There was significant debate as to whether he or Tyson Chandler deserved to be taken first, a debate that raged for several months. Moreover, Kenyon Martin was ranked highly on many draft boards prior to the 2000 NBA Draft. There was some concern about his health after his injury in the NCAA Tournament, but the popular opinion at that time was that he would be an excellent professional player given his play at Cincinnati.

--Captain Decker

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The reason you can't compare Embiid to the Thabeet/Kwame/Darko types is that Embiid is:

1) Far more developed skill-wise than any of them (Darko had some skill, but never proved it against quality competition pre-NBA). Embiid is showcasing unreal footwork, touch, and even some range on a nightly basis against top college competition.
    2) Far more athletically gifted than any of them (he's one of the rare Cs that runs the floor and moves laterally like a wing). And unlike some of those "rare types" he's not undersized, he happens to be 7'1" 250 with a 7'5" wingspan.
    3) Is mentally on a completely different planet than any of them (he's smart, hard-working, and a fiery competitor).
    4) Is already the most consistent 2-way performer of any of the top prospects and more productive on a per-minute basis, despite only playing for a few years. He's improving at an unseen rate (you can literally see it game to game), and proving himself at both ends (17.6/12.2/2.3/4.7blk per36, 69%fg).

Barring injury, Embiid is looking like the most complete prospect in years.
    - Elite physical tools? Check.
    - Dominant interior defender? Check.
    - Projected elite post play/skill-level? Check.
    - IQ, work ethic and competitiveness? Check.
    - Most important position on the floor? Check.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's going to be fun watching Anthony Davis play against Embiid in the future.

10. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

What are his weaknesses?

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I'd take him at #1. The potential of this kid is just crazy.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Watch the 2nd part of this video, weaknesses start at 9:07min.

Main weaknesses mentioned:

1) Offensive polish (has some terrible turnovers, shot selection bad at times, sometimes tries to do too much)

2) Discipline on D (gambles for steals, foul prone, tries to help when unnecessary->loses his man, falls for pump fakes, not fundamentally sound regarding team defense)

3) Toughness (needs to add muscle, can't push defenders when posting up, doesn't like contact)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cn-dtrmh0nM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i haven't watched him much, but watching him simply handle/hold the ball in the post could have fooled me into thinking he was polished in the post. Almost Dream-like, but closer to KG. With that fluidity and handle he can be taught just about everything, assuming he's mentally mature.

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

It's really just polish and experience. The scouting video was made early in the year, and he's shown so much growth since then (as much in-season growth as any prospect in recent memory).

That includes being foul-prone on D (which is the biggest obstacle at the moment, as it's keeping his minutes in the 20-25ish range, rather than the 30+ range), and being TO prone. The latter I wouldn't be too worried about, as he shows great poise/skill in the post, and vision/passing out of it. With more time and coaching, he should cut the TOs.

I wouldn't worry about the toughness. I think that was more of a speculated weakness prior to college, and his adjustment period (when the vid was made) didn't ease the doubts. Since then, he's shown himself to be nasty inside, finishing consistently with plenty of contact. He's already strong and physical, but he could obviously use another 10-15lbs of muscle.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Thanks for the input, good to hear.

16. omgTHEpotential

Guys, do you think Embiid is a better prospect than what Oden was before being drafted?

17. Progs

Progs Member

I think so. Embiid is a much better athlete.

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I don't think so, people forget what a beast Oden was in college when healthy.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I do. Oden was way too gangly in college and I never thought he could develop an offensive game in the NBA. I actually thought he would be a bust.

20. DwightHoward13

I agree with you. I could not understand why anyone wanted Oden over Durant.