1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

You just repeated what I said. Personally, I believe Parsons is a role player, but my opinion doesn't matter, McHale and his staff have decided Parsons is part of the foundation (Parson's has been improving every year, and he's the prodigal son, the only drafted player playing significant minutes). My point is, your stars are the ones that win and lose you games, not the role players. On this forum though, there's two sects that believe that Lin's play determines wins/losses. His role is too small in Houston for that to be true. When Houston wins, it's because of Lin (according to the LOFs). When Houston losses, it's because of Lin (according to the LOFHs\LOHs). That's the issue I have, I don't have an issue with people that believe that Harden, Howard and Parsons are the foundation. Since they are the foundation, they should get the credit for wins, and the blame for losses. Lin, he's just standing in the corner.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets were a historically prolific 3-point shooting team during their championship years by the standards of the time.

3. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

I do not consider either team a 3 point shooting team. Just my opinion. They actually have set plays to get their players mid-range shots. Since Patrick Patterson left, I rarely see that mid-range shot. Either Howard post up, guard penetration, or 3 point shots. Miami and the Spurs have much more to their offensive arsenal than that.

4. RRockets

RRockets Member

Fine. Lets forget Lin and start to talk about DH12, Harden & Parsons only.

5. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

I have already been proven wrong about that statement. "Living and dying by the 3" has been a statement I've heard a million times, and it's one that always had a negative connotation with it.

6. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Lin has a big role on the Rockets. He just is not one of the core players that you build a team around. That is life in the NBA for about 90% of all players who are not allstars or superstars. He is a very good role player. Parsons may be just as important to the future of this team as Harden and Dwight if he continues to develop as he has so far. He is much more than a role player. You saw how bad the team looked when he was out with injury.

7. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

You can talk about whatever you want. This is the internet. I personally believe, there should be less talk about Lin, and more about the stars.

8. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

If Parsons improves again after next summer, he'll be getting closer to an All-Star level, and would justify any foundational tags. The dude's flat 3 point shot is accurate, and he is the best cutter to the basket on the Rockets. The reason I think he's a role player, is because he isn't as efficient at creating his own shot, as you would want from a foundational player. Not saying he can't become efficient at creating his own shot, I just currently believe he's not there.

9. coffeelover665

Celtic in full blown rebuild mode. Rondo will get moved.

Asik Lin for Rondo Bass

All of a sudden, Rocket's perimieter defense became very good.

"But Coffee Rondo doesn't fit the 3-pt system"

WHAT system? We have no system. We barely have anything. We run drive and kick, post up,and iso. This is why guys like Parson and Casspi are such good glue guy. they move without the ball effortlessly. You know where else I see this type of offense? Whenever I play pick up games at the park.

"Come on man, Harden and Rondo doesn't fit"

How do they not fit? Maybe the reason why Harden controls the ball so much is because Lin loses the ball alot. I have seen Harden giving up the ball to Brooks and Pbev and let them start the offense way more then I do seeing him give it up to Lin. That goes for guys like T.Jones and Parson. They don't trust their point guard so they run the ball up themselves. Respect goes a long way. Rondo is an allstar point guard who Harden will respect.

I feel Rondo's personality fit this team more as Lin have trouble commandeering the offense because they don't follow the plays. (You can see it in the body language when plays are run for Lin vs. plays ran for Harden) Rondo will make a big deal about it and fuss. That's why guys like Westbrick and CP3 have 100% control of the offense and do whatever they like, they have the talent, and the attitude to run the team. They will chew you out, I don't see Lin doing that.

With Rondo, you move PBev to the second unit and now you have a very pesky perimeter defense and Howard to anchor the interior defense. This will cover up Harden's flaring weakness on D. Because Dwight and Rondo pride themselve on defense, Harden will get called out by them, (it's a lot easier for two great player to call out another) and we all know how great Harden is when he plays D.

Plus **** Rondo prob coach this team way better then McHale

lineup 1
    Howard
    Parson
    Jones
    Harden
    Rondo

Starting lineup. Balanced offense and defense

Lineup 2
    Bass
    Pbev
    Casspi
    Garcia
    Smith

A bit weak

lineup 3

Parson
    Howard
    Jones
    Rondo
    Pbev

Tell me this isn't one nasty defensive lineup

Then Morey can make another move and trade Dmo+sweetener to Bulls for Mike Dunleavy since they looking to tank too. And then find another coach. We need set plays. **** call up Phil Jackson, call up JVG. Call up anyone. We need to run plays, we need a coach to hold stars responsible, we need a coach that will say, "get off your high horse, you might be the best player on the team, but you haven't won anything yet" we need our own Doc Rivers. We need a coach like hibodeau that scream "GET THE **** BACK ON DEFENSE" instead of clapping his hand saying "nice try Harden, try a bit harder next time, good effort though."

end rant. Sorry, last night loss still left a sour taste in my mouth

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are here for a laugh? Really? Then you are wasting our time, because you aren't the least bit funny, and neither is this thread. As for your comments to aelliot, just in case you aren't aware, he's one of our most knowledgable members. All you've done, and you aren't alone, is make yourself look like a fool. With all due respect. Oh, and welcome to my ignore list.

As for the topic, I was disappointed that Jeremy had a poor game after his excellent outing against the Pelicans. I was hoping that he would finally discover some consistency. I'm still hopeful that he'll find it someday. Beverley? He can't get back on the court quick enough, regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench. We need him badly. We sure as heck could have used him last night in the second half. God, what a nightmare that was. I frequently watch a game a second time, but this one I deleted immediately. Maybe "nightmare" isn't strong enough. It was beyond being a nightmare. For a one half of basketball, it was a Stephen King novel brought to life in Rocket uniforms. Before the game, I thought it would be close. I thought it would be close after the first half. I never dreamed the Rocks would collectively forget the game of basketball for 24 minutes.

11. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I'm one of the biggest Lin supporters, but even I know Beverly was sorely missed. I'm all about giving Bev more minutes when the situation dictates.

12. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Bev > Brooks

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

This thread should be "

Lin making a statement of being D-league starter"

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Despite the loss, I did get a chuckle how Jeremy struggled against back up point guard Reggie Jackson. Beverley got a lot of flack from LOF's after the playoffs last year because he was outplayed by back up point guard Reggie Jackson. I guess the worm turned on that one.

15. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Reggie Jackson ain't no scrub, but Patrick Beverley ain't no elite defender. I'm a labelled LOF, and it's no big deal. When Eric Gordon went HAM on James Harden, I didn't think it was a big deal either. Beverley's defense is over-rated, and elite defenders shut down their opposition. Lin is considered anywhere between an awful to average defender on this board, and Beverley is considered elite by some (so good at defense, that his subpar offense is acceptable). If they both do poorly against Jackson, that only proves that Beverley isn't elite, since everyone already believes Lin sucks at defense. So no, the worm hasn't turned, but you hope it did (I honestly have no idea what that phrase means).

16. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

One last final thought, I think a combination of Lin and Beverley could've done a much better job at defending Jackson, than a combination of Lin and Brooks.

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

It didn't matter who was on Reggie Jackson: Lin, Bev, Brooks, or Canaan .... OKC was setting picks for Jackson all night ... there's no way one person can defend that, you need a help defender to come out and hedge the pick, there was no way we can do that without leaving Durant or Ibaka wide open for jumpshots.

18. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

It means the worm has turned on a can opener to open a can of worms.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

A lot of non-LOFs also gave Beverly flack. His D is overrated on this board. Lin isn't that much better but the pedestal that some people but Beverly's D on is laughable. Statistically he hasn't separated himself from Lin so much.

20. FearTheBeardJH