1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Are you the Carebear police captain? I never wanted to make a point. When it comes down to a Lin debate no one wins.

I am just here for a laugh. If you don't find it funny just don't laugh.

1 person likes this.
  2. yummyhawtsauce

Lin's jumper isn't that bad, I always thought it was decent. It can only improve. His form used to be pretty ugly it is getting better. I am a bit disappointed with his 3 point shooting though.

3. omgTHEpotential

Lin is making a case for a benchwarmer as of late. We should try and trade him before the deadline because I don't think he's the future of the Rockets. Not to mention he's a 15million player next season. That's a massive overpayment. As of now, Lin is a 5-6M guy at best.

4. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

As of now, Lin is making 5 million. As of next year, no one is gonna trade to get a guy worth (according to you) 5 mil and pay him 15 mil. Do you see the massive logic holes in your thoughts?

5. omgTHEpotential

All I'm saying we should try and FIND that guy who's willing to pay 15million. As those 15million will only reflect as 8 when it comes down to the cap, if I'm not mistaken.

All in all, Lin is horrible and we should search for a taker. He's never going to be a legitimately good PG in this league, IMO.

6. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

He doesn't even play PG for Houston. Besides, whoever is coming in next is gonna face the same issues. You think someone like Rondo coming over is gonna stop guys like Parsons, Harden, and Jones from bringing the ball up?

7. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

The cap hit is 8.3 mil. 15 million dollars is 15 million dollars. Lin will not be sent to a championship team, that is struggling to get under the cap, he'll be traded a tanking franchise, that will not be over the cap, and will value the actual cash over the cap hit. If he is horrible, like you say, he'll never get traded. The worse Jeremy Lin is, the more likely he'll be here until his contract is over. Is this starting to make sense for you?

8. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

If the Rockets are planning to move Lin, they are doing a horrific job at it. First, they supplant his starting position with an obviously inferior player. Then due to injuries, are forced to start him, but still treat him like a bench player with a very short leash. His defense is constantly questioned, and that is why Beverley was starting, but I have never seen Patrick dominate defensively in the regular season (yes, he was dominant against the big bird's Eastern Conference All-Star PG in the preseason, if Bev could disrupt an offense like that on a regular basis, he would be Tony Allen-lite). If the Rockets wanted to move him, they should've left him as the starter, featured him for a month or two, and raised his stock. They did the exact opposite. What that tells me is, they plan to keep the dude. That $15 mil payment is not chump change for any franchise. I think he's worth $8.3 mil, but even as a Lin fan, he is not worth $15 mil.

McHale has turned Lin into a SG, and that was the weakest part of his game last year, and those flashy passes happen less and less. They are doing everything to mold Jeremy into a compatible player for team that the coaching staff envisions (what that is IDK, but it reminds me of Frankenstein. Howard post-ups, Harden ISOs, and a read and react passing offense where everyone is allowed to create, and limited PnRs). It's some ugly offense, compared to the run and gun fluid motion offense they had last year.

9. chandlerbang21

No one really cares about lin, he is just an expiring contract next season.

1 person likes this.
  10. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

If no one cares about Lin, why do you guys talk about him SOOO MUCH. This team is about Harden and Howard, yet the microscope is always on Lin. I've never seen a role player get this much attention in my entire life, it's madness, or just pure stupidity.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

What should be our realistic expectations though? After getting Dwight, it should be at least winning one playoff series.

But are the odds of that even 50% at this point? Unless we make a significant trade to improve the team this year, we will open the playoffs on the road. If we're playing the Clippers or Thunder, then I think our chances of advancing would sink to below 30%.

That's why people are concerned and perhaps rightfully so.

12. NotChandlerParsons

I can't rep, but I appreciate you coming in and dropping some logic and reason in these threads.

13. mingthething

mingthething Member

Because every so often, any debate about LIN the PLAYER veers off on a tangent into the territory of LIN the SYMBOL. The reverse is true too.

14. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Lin the symbol or player is still a role player on the Rockets. The thing that needs to get through the thick skull of some Rockets fans, is that this team is being built to suit their stars, and Lin isn't on that list. This team will lose on the backs of Harden, Howard and Parsons, as the coaching staff is attempting to create an offensive system catered to these 3 players. Lin is a PnR PG, that has success with picks and struggles with catching and shooting (of late, he was on fire prior to his back issues). Lin's role this year is to play towards his greatest weakness, and people complain about his PG skills. Lin had a bad game on Thursday, but only played 24 mins. However, Harden, Parsons, and Howard played as badly, but with almost double the minutes. After the game, the knuckleheads (true Rocket fans) believe that the PG position was the problem. Whatever weird ass offensive system McHale and his coaching staff have created, it doesn't involve using picks with your PG, it's all about spacing and passing around the perimeter for 3s. Every opponent of the Rockets give multiple picks to their PGs to break down the defense. Houston, not so much. Live by the three, die by the three. Don't ever remember a 3 point shooting team ever sniffing the NBA finals.

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Dwight's Orlando team, which is probably what they're trying to somewhat replicate.

16. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

I stand corrected. They shot 33% from the 3 point line that series, and lost 4-1. Shooting 33% from the 3 point line is like shooting 50% from inside the arc. That's a pretty good percentage, but Orlando still ended up losing by 9.4 pts per game in the finals.

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

Any videos on Lin blocking Durant?

18. DocRock

DocRock Member

That team was never going to make it past a healthy Boston, but injuries happen. They had a chance in that series against the Lakers but Orlando's perimeter players started thinking they were MJ and forgetting about Dwight.

I see it playing out the exact same way here if we ever make the finals. Dwight is too passive to get the perimeter players to stick to the gameplan when they get trigger happy.

19. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I guess it depends on how you define a "3 point shooting team". Miami and San Antonio finished #6 and #7 in the league in 3pt attempts last season and they ended up meeting in the finals.