1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missouri?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Joker, Jan 17, 2014.

1. The Joker

The Joker Member

Currently living in south florida. I have a job opportunity in Springfield Missouri. How's that for a place to live? Anyone live there can tell me a little about it?

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice town- i grew up in a small town ~100m away, we used to play them occasionally in basketball.

my old man had business there for awhile. would recommend.

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I've never lived in Springfield but I'm from the Kansas City area and have been there several times. I mean you're comparing the midwest to south Florida, that's like night and day.

It's a small town really even though it is known as the third largest city in the state. Lack of diversity - mostly whites. The closest big city to it is Kansas City. You have your four seasons - really hot summers and really cold winters. If you're looking for any kind of nightlife or party scene, forget about it. If you're single, invest a lot of time for online dating.

Now, if you're married and have kids, this may be a great place for you since it's super affordable and very peaceful.

Again, it depends on what you're looking for.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's were the Simpsons live.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

That's Springfield, OR.

Missouri is a great state, visited many times... Springfield is a nice town as well. However, it gets cold as balls and can be very windy.

6. The Joker

The Joker Member

Well I am 25, single, no kids nothing holding me in one area. I have always loved the Midwest feel of small towns. Cold doesn't bother me too much. Party life isn't a must but being able to one day meet my wife would be nice so somewhat of a social scene would be a plus.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There is a decent social scene in Springfield. Well, good bars and restaurants anyway. Wasn't there long enough to judge the women, but saw plenty of them when I was there.

You're young - if it is a good opportunity, jump on it. You only live once.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

College town plus AA baseball. Not bad.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Never been there, but I went to Branson Mo about a year ago and thought it was absolutely beautiful country. The people were extremely friendly..and you have to check out Silver Dollar City and this Wooden roller Coaster with 2 barrel rolls:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://eplayer.clipsyndicate.com/embed/iframe?aspect_ratio=3x2&auto_start=0&pf_id=12171&rel=3&show_title=0&va_id=4708029&volume=8&windows=1" width="425" height="330"></iframe>

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WHOA. :eek:

I will try taking my family there for Spring Break. See some shows. What else do they have for adult/young_adult entertainment aside from roller coasters? :cool: Thanks.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

are you talking about Branson or Silver Dollar City? As far as Branson, It depends on what you're in to. Its definitely not a party place, so you won't find any wild clubs or bars. Its a very family friendly city. Family-wise they have several great zip-lines in the area, awesome multi-level go-kart tracks, steam boats, beautiful scenery, lakes etc. Branson is known for its live shows, but they're all either older retirement age singers like Tony Orlando or The Lennon Sisters, or they're little known family groups that own the theaters in town.

Silver Dollar City - I only went at night while shooting a Christmas special. It was an incredible site for Christmas. I was totally impressed with the Lighted Christmas Parade, the decorations (over 4 million lights), the 5 story lighted Christmas tree, ect. The way the park is laid out, you can't really see all the rides, especially at night. They are all hidden by the facades and the trees. Its a beautiful theme park. There are a lot of rides and a lot of shows.

Its a great family destination, but for young adults who want to party..maybe not so much.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Both. I saw that they're within a few tens of miles from each other. Not bad. :) Thanks.

14. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I lived in the Springfield area for about 10 years. It's pretty cheap to live there. Not too many job opportunities for tech, except for a small handful of companies. Anything specific you want to know?