1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SK34

SK34 Member

So whats the ideal "Weight" that i have to lift for bench press and such?

I don't wanna get too big..

6 weeks. Been using the hand since August but only playing basketball.

Send me the videos bruh..

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

On another note, one thing that helps me get back started is telling myself that even if I go to the gym and do one exercise then it will help. That just tricks me into getting through the door. Once you are inside, then it is much easier to get a good workout in. Don't be intimidated by lifting. Machines are an easy way to get back lifting before moving to free weights. That way you can build up your strength and not feel like you are weak by everyone seeing what you are lifting (if you even care). So many people have bad form anyway. I try not to over think what I am going to do that day so I do not dread it. As long as you know what groups to work together, you do not have to have a written workout plan in the beginning. It can make it too intimidating. Save that for once you get going. Also, I bring my gym clothes with me to work. That makes me feel guilty knowing that I have no excuse not to go. Hope any of this helps.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

A good initial goal would be to be able to bench your body weight. After you get there, 1.5x body weight.

As for the second part... not to be a dick, but I always lol when people say that. It's usually people who are out of shape and don't work out/just started working out. NOBODY has ever said 'damn, I'm looking way too swole'. :rolleyes:

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ I can PROMISE you, you will NOT get 'too big'. Ever.

1 person likes this.
  5. SK34

SK34 Member

I do workout. I mean I consider Cardio, Push ups, Ab workouts, and Pullups and Chin ups to be "working out"..

But you are right in a way about "being too swole".. I shouldn't be thinking about that because I don't even lift consistently.

But, I was asking to get an Idea of where I need to be. Just a year ago, I used to be able to bench at least 180.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

LOL. I am sorry I am not being a dick either but good thing you corrected him.

Most people who think they are going to get too big have never gained a lb of muscle in their life. Those who have know how hard it is to put on muscle after that beginner stage.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

[​IMG]

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Right, I wasn't specifically calling you out, which is why I said 'it's usually...'

I answered the benching question first... but again - most guys can't even bench 135, let alone their own body weight, so 180 was decent. Try to get back to that level. Thanks to muscle memory, it shouldn't take more than a couple months to get back to it if you've done it before.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In my experience, when people talk about "working out", they're referring to lifting weights.

Don't worry about where you need to be. Everyone is different. Let's say that you set a goal of doing 10 reps on the bench at 180 lbs. Odds are that once you reach that goal, you'll want to exceed it. And as you get more fit, it'll require increasingly more time/effort for decreasing improvements. At some point, you'll realize that you don't want to spend that extra time/effort to improve. Once you're there, focus on maintaining what you have.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My work is beginning a biggest loser competition starting tomorrow. We weigh in in the morning and go for 12 weeks to see who can lose the biggest percentage of starting weight. We've done this 3 times in the past and I won one of the three, but I plan to go all out for this one because I've definitely been putting on weight these last 3 months or so (mostly due to stress).

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Nice. Great idea by your company. Good luck and post your progress!

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Any chance you can convince them to change it to losing the biggest percentage of body fat %?

The contest's current structure penalizes people who lift weights.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

My work just started as well. I tend to have more dedication on the work out side, but am the worst when it comes to eating and drinking. Many of us in our group travel so we get to see each others eating habbits and work out habbits. Hopefully this will get me to improve my diet, biggest draw back for me in losing weight.

As for the OP, SQUATS. If you are working out 3 days a week, I would even recomend you start each work out with squats. Can look at Strong Lifts 5x5 or simple stength as an example for getting stronger.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

Right, Got you. I know for sure that I can do 115 pounds (Bar is 45 right?) still but only 5 reps of it so It might not take long to get back to 180.

You're right. Thanks guys.

And I mean there are different takes on what "Working out" can be. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Before, I was trying to lose weight (20% body fat to 14%) so I just stuck to cardio and body weight workouts. Plus, I had thumb surgery so lifting weights became out of the question for a while.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

This is just me ranting..nothing specific to anyone in this thread.

For some reason when someone thinks of getting in shape and losing weight they automatically think...how many hours of cardio do I need to do? No one stops and thinks...I didn't get fat or out of shape from lack of cardio. It most likely happened from a very poor diet, and sedentary lifestyle. Instead of focusing their efforts to being more active throughout the day (ex. don't sit for more than 20-30 mins straight, stop looking for parking at the front of the lot, take stairs etc) and eating better (cut out sugar especially in liquid form, eat less food that comes in boxes)..they just focus on treadmills.

There's also the mindset that you weight loss = cardio. weight lifting = big and bulky. It couldn't be further from the truth. Cardio def. has a place in fitness but most people at the gym are like hamsters. just going on and on and on on cardio machines.

To truly lose weight, and maintain it for a long time..start undoing the habits the got you here in the first place. slowly! change is hard. don't do too many at once.

1. Cut out sugar. This is very hard to do. We live in a world where everything is packed with sugar. There's a reason. It's addicting..and companies benefit when you are addicted. And no..fruit juice does not equal eating a fruit.
    2. Replace your calorie packed drinks with water. Replacing them with artificial sugar doesn't really solve the issue.
    3. Slowly introduce vegetables and home cooked food into your diet.
    4. Meal FREQUENCY does not matter. 3 meals vs 8 meals..it's all the same in terms of metabolic rate.
    5. i am tired. will continue this later. lol

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

None of us lift weights.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I agree with just about all of what you said, especially the cardio vs weight lifting part. But I think meal frequency is very important. I think if you space your (healthy) meals and snacks properly throughout the day, it limits those cravings for glutenous foods and helps you to feel full throughout the day.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think we are on the same page..as long as the reason for eating multiple meals is to limit cravings and avoid binging on 1 meal.

Most people think there's some metabolic advantage..MUST KEEP THE RATE UP! oh no i skipped breakfast..all is lost!

I think for most people 3-4 meals at most is good. You give your blood sugar a chance to come down between meals, and also avoid accidentally eating more calories. Plus your meals will be more satisfying. avg person eating 2000 cals a day..you do 6 meals..thats only 333 cals a meal..wtf are you going to eat for 333, 6 times a day? I don't have time to cook that many healthy meals. I can do 2 maybe.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

I've been doing Ab Ripper X and I felt sore after the first day but I'm not feeling sore anymore? Does not feeling anything mean that I didn't work out correctly?

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not necessarily. Your muscles are adapting and getting stronger. I barely get sore anymore even going hard 6 days/week.

20. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

don't forget mike chang's magic red drink!