1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you a College Football Fanatic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Jan 8, 2014.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I'm in my 30s, graduated from UH, but never got too interested in the athletics. I've been focused on only pro sports my entire life. At work, in social environments, media and sports radio, College football is HUGE! Bigger than the Rockets by far, I work at a company with 3,000 people. I hear college football chatter all around the office, Never hear people talking basketball. I guess I understand it if you are proud of the school you graduated from and have the pride, probably because I graduated from UH and it was a commuter school, I don't have the same spirit for college sports.

I'll watch college basketball from time to time and the level is too far below the NBA, I get bored. That apart from the fact that there is too many schools, too many players to keep up with and I dont have a rooting interest in any school (I guess UH if I had to pick).

So, are you a college sports fanatic and if so what made you so passionate about it? Do you love it more than the pros??

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Graduated from UH and couldn't care less about college sports.

3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Lol, that sounds like me. I guess I'm trying to understand the hype. I listen to sports talk on my drive home, mainly because I don't listening to music really and I don't care for the talk radio stuff. All I hear is A&M, UT, Mack Brown, Johnny Football, Kevin Sumlin topics. I already hate listening to people talk about the Texans but I have even less interest in college sports.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I love CFB. It's the perfect appetizer for the NFL.

The games last too long for my taste though. Clock stops at first down. High scoring affairs are routinely lasting 4-5 hours. It has gotten ridiculous.

#4 sammy, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

No, I only have time to follow pro sports. Im just not interested in college unless it's a huge game.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes. Always liked it. Started in 5th grade when UT played A&M. My dad went to UT. I watched the game with him and from that day until I was 19-20, I was a huge fan.

I would watch every football, basketball, and most baseball games that they aired on TV and was following the football team very closely. The interest fell off in my college years and has remained lukewarm to this day, (to the point where it's probably somewhat disingenuous to call myself a UT fan nowadays), but I still at least watch most of UT's big games and want them to do well.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I go to UT. Am a fan albeit fairweather (lol).
    My heart will always belong to the Rockets. No homo.

8. MexAmercnMoose

not a super big fan like some of the people in my office, but i will go to all home games/bowl game for UH....some of these college fans take it too far...like SEC fan, but its all good

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Love CFB. This past season at Auburn was mind-blowing.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I used to be. Then I got married and now I have to do stuff away from my television during the day light.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Love CFB and NFL.

It really has to do with the campus you attended IMO.

If your school sucks, you don't spend time on campus other than class, or if they aren't in a big time div. Then I can see why one would not care about athletics.

I'm big on TCU football, because of my time there living on campus. But I could careless about SFASU athletics in general. Living in Fort Worth and College Station, just doesn't seem like much lol.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't get p***y-whipped, whip that p***y! ;)

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

REP for any BOOMERANG reference. :eek: Good one, Rockgroogrulexman95.

EDIT: dang it. must spread the REP first.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't love college football more than the NFL..but I don't love the NFL more either. They're different.

Same with college hoops. I will say I find the March Madness Tourney to be far more exciting than the NBA Playoffs, typically...particularly if I'm watching a game where I don't have a real rooting interest.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I just rank my sports by my favorite days/events now.

1. Thursday of March Madness
    2. Friday of March Madness
    3. First Rockets game
    4. First Sunday of NFL
    5. MLB Opening Day
    6. Masters Sunday
    7. Selection Sunday
    8. Fantasy draft day (baseball and football)
    9. CWS
    10-91. Every other Rockets game

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I like College Football, but not more than NFL. I like College basketball, but not more than my Rockets' games.

I feel like if I didn't go to that school, I should not root for it. Let the students and alumni root for them. A single school in Houston doesn't represent the entire city of Houston. We can support the local colleges or local universities when they do well and get to big games, but we also don't boo them if they're doing badly. :eek:
    Bandwagoner. :(

17. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I like college football, wouldn't call myself a fanatic but I am a fan. I go to UH where a lot of the student body get on you if you don't ALWAYS wear UH gear, but I can probably name the whole team, and coaches while they can only name O'Korn. When I go to games I like to watch the offense and defense work with their sets/plays/etc opposed to blindly cheering every little thing, but that's just me a fan of the game of football.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

1. Rockets
    2. NBA
    3. CFB
    4. NFL

Fell in love with College Football during high school (2003 Fiesta Bowl) and went to nearly every game at UH. My only regret is that I didn't go to a big football school.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm not. Huge college football fan, for me

1) NBA
    2) NFL
    3) College Basketball
    4) Soccer

Then the ones I normally will not watch
    - college football
    - baseball
    - hockey

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I hate when people blindly cheer, I know a guy like this, anytime he hears the crowd get loud he'll jump up and start yelling even when he has no idea what just happened. Honestly he's an idiot and I hate watching games with him.