1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket player STATs Review upto 1.1.2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Thank you for putting in all this work

I really appreciate the graphs a lot

I wish I could rep

It was my Christmas wish -- Santa didn't show up :(

2. TTNN

TTNN Member

35 games into the season, we are 22-13, compare to last season at the same time, we were 21-14, what a surprise. I remember last season at the same time, we were excited mean while frustrated with this young team, but at least we had hope the team will improve. Do you had the same feeling this year? I guess the expectation are different, it just feel harder to take the same result as last season. At least to me, the team was some how less fun to watch. Last season we lose, but was always a good fight, I can not say this this year though.

[​IMG]

I remember Morey said that even without Dwight, we should have 5 extra wins this year, simply due to the team and one year more mature....... maybe not.......

Anyway, it really looked very similar to the same time last season though.

[​IMG]

Compare to last season first 35 games, our eFG% and TS% are comparable, slightly dropped at 3pt% and FT%. We had bit less FGA, but made up by increased FTA.

[​IMG]

Major changes are shown here. We used to be a fast break team, but this season, we got 25% decrease at points off opponent's TO, and 15% drop at points out of fast break. And we give out 25% points more than last season for opponent's second chance offense.

On the other hand, the team's assist related numbers are dropping across the board. Assist number, assist%, AST/TO ratio, ASt ratio, are all dropping. Less FG made were assisted, not much changes in 3pt shoot, but 2 pt shooting have higher percentage were assisted.

Overall, the Dwight impact! We are chaning styles of playing, unfortunately, at this stage, we are caught in the middle of this change. :(

I think the team identity is still not clear yet, and some player's role is not well defined yet, hopefully the team will turn the corner in January and become more fun to watch when we hit all star weekend.

1 person likes this.
  3. steady

steady Member

TTNN, great stuff. thanks.

I like the clarity actually seeing the numbers brings to general impressions of the teams' play. But I have to say, these numbers do hit home how differently the team is playing this year than last. And to some extent, this is saddening.

Hopefully (as you say) they get through this transition period soon, and get a stable roster they can build on.

In the meantime, I miss the Asik of last year, I miss the beautfiul fast breaks, and the sense of fun and camaraderie the team had. I even miss Toney Douglas, and the Morris/Patterson debates.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

It looks to me Like Lin is a very good pg in this league, and he has a lot of room to grow.

I think Mchale needs to stop being a dumbass and give him some respect and stop treating him like a little b****. Mchale can say he likes Lin, but actions speak louder than words. Just because Mchale had to sit his ass on the bench and wait his time, that doesn't mean everybody has to do what he did, wake up Mchale.

1 person likes this.
  5. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I am also finding the team less fun to watch. They seem to have significantly slowed down the pace. Less assits means less movement and more iso. I think the fact that we are now a post up team with Dwight we move the ball less and are less creative in forming plays. Also your data shows that Bev does not move the ball as well as Jeremy as far as incorporating other players other than Harden in the attempt to create a play. His minutes have doubled since last year,I believe. Just some thoughts.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think injuries are a major X-factor as far as record goes. Schedule may also be, I don't remember what was the SOS for us at this time last year.

7. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I agree with you. However this year there are numerous games where we could have easily won but we just threw them away. I believe with the talent we have on this team we are under-achieving:(

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Hummm... so we have +2 NetRtg compare to last year while battling significant injuries to our superstar and our starters (i count both Lin and Bev as starters), while not having any back up center for a significant portion of the games, while we are stilling trying to figure out how we should play... barring continuing or more injuries, things are looking good for the 2nd half of this year. Unlike last year, hopefully we pick it up strong and make a great run into the playoff. These stats actually make me feel better about this team than what I have been seeing on TV.

9. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

There really is no reason to bench a young PG who is clearly still developing but already showing improvements. "Fit" is such a BS term that he used. This thread alone shows enough numbers to question why McHale isn't starting Lin. People say its because bench needs someone to lead, but when your starters are playing 35+ minutes thats a crappy excuse not to start Lin. I think Bev is a lot more dangerous coming off the bench than Lin is.

10. timyeung

timyeung Member

Yes, McHale likes Lin, but as a person, not as a talented basketball player. You can tell from this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAm5YTd794

McHale keeps on saying how Lin is a nice kid, hard working, willing to learn. Not once did he mention Lin's skills in basketball. That is why he does not believe in Linsanity and keeps Lin in a short leash. Also Lin, likes to play aggressive BB with risk, while McHale likes more conservative plays "ie. no home runs" which would be one more reason why he prefers Beverly. After the addition of Howard, I believe the Rockets were trying to win it all now, rather then develop its young players. We all have our opinions, and of course my own opinion is that he should loosen his leash on Lin some more, but McHale is the coach, and his opinion is the most important for the team. As a bench player, I believe McHale does give Lin more time on the floor than most other bench players, so hopefully Lin has earned some respect from McHale.

11. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Conclusion of TTNN's great work: HOUSTON ROCKETS NEED A BETTER COACH!

12. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Generally speaking, Rockets can and should play each player as they want because they are paying their players. I even understand that Harden would not like it too much if Lin handled the ball too much. Ultimately, I think Lin will, and should be, traded. Both parties deserve a chance to go the direction they want to go. This is not fair to Bev or Lin. Bev will be sorry to see Lin go because Bev will probably not be starting when another PG replaces Lin.

1 person likes this.
  13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Amen.

14. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I don't blame Mac entirely. I also blame Morey and Harden. Harden, Lin and other players should be motivated to find the best way to play, so they can go as far as possible as a team in a playoff. Somehow, I have a feeling that Rockets will not make it past the 2nd round of playoffs.

15. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

amazing thread

thank you for the effort and the expertise in this thread

16. steady

steady Member

Yes

This year's team is definitely better/more talented/with more potential than they were last year. But when they lose.... last year, you could say with some confidence, they will get better. This year, when they lose, you don't know if they will figure out a way to stop stumbling like this every so often. There is a problem and until something happens: (1) asik/lin/others ges traded for new players; (2) a new coach is hired: or (3) the players just reach deep and find an identity as a team somehow. ... something major like that. It feels like the team is just going to continue to sort of stumble through this season. Knowing something is wrong, but not being able to fix it.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

uh, this is completely misleading. Did you post this at 21-14 on purpose. Surely you did, since your stats are so well thought out.

Rockets lost 7 games in a row right at this point in the season last year. Going from 21-14 to 21-21. Will you update us in 7 games from now, and say how last years team is as good as this years team?

Love your stats, but don't like how you use them to make a point, then hide the 7 game losing streak of last year.

1 person likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We lost 7 games in a row last year, right after TTNN stopped in time to make his comparison between this year and last. He likely chose to make the comparison before the losing streak for a reason.

Let's see the comparison between teams 7 games from now.

Rockets were 7 games over .500 this time last year. They ended the season 8 games over.

19. tonman

tonman Member

who was our backup center last year?

20. infinite-loop

infinite-loop Member

Who knows? Maybe TTNT just had the time to do it right now. Why do you think there is an ulterior motive?