1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our defense has dropped significantly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yellow, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Yellow

Yellow Member

After an okay start where our defense was not worth mentioning, we played pretty good defense for a good solid couple of weeks and were in the top 10 of the league. Right now we are 16th where I think we were once 6-7th, so the drop is not just what our eyes tell us, it's backed up by statistics. The fourth quarter is the worst, we rank 29th in fourth-quarter defense!!

I'm not even going to try and explain it, it's probably too depressing, but I do remember that we've had problems keeping leads, extending them and finishing teams off at the end of 2012.

What do you guys think is the issue? Starters with too many minutes in a tightly packed schedule, rotation in the fourth, just tired in the 4th, too many players not committed, bad chemisty...?

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Likely as simple as overcoming injuries -- getting Patrick Beverley back in the starting lineup and Omer Asik back in the rotation.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

No back up center

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

this is the correct answer

end of thread on the first post lol.

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

Mixture of everything. I think if the other perimeter guys see their team Captain (Harden) not putting forth any effort on that side of the ball, then the sluggish energy will be carried on to the other guys on the floor.

Focusing most of our energy on scoring.
    Too much PT for our rotation guys.
    Faster pace.

Hell, even the Toyota Center crowd may factor in. It's much easier to play inspired defense when the entire arena is screaming for D. Instead half the arena is empty and the other half is watching the game contently and quietly.

1 person likes this.
  6. WNBA

WNBA Member

The whole team is selfish and uninspired.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

everyone wanted asik gone for a PF, ERSAN, ANDERSON, MILLSAPP, YOUNG were the well documented straight up trades that were wanted. Dmo & smith are our backups.

Now we place the blame on asik not being healthy or not playing……Oh ok

8. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Asik hasn't been playing.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

2 Things

1) Injuries

2) Starters playing too many minutes, which is related to injuries.

IMO, Parsons and Harden are both average defenders when rested and healthy. But when they play 30+ minutes in the 1st 3 quarters, they turn into terrible defenders in the 4th.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You don't think Asik not playing has any impact on overall defense?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not having a backup center means the Rockets drop back into the same problems they had last year. When the starting center goes to the bench the Rockets have almost certainly the worst defense in the league.

Add to that the Rockets best perimeter defender is out which makes the defense with the starting group that much worse.

Minus Howard, Beverley, and maybe Brewer the entire Rockets roster if chalked full of really bad defensive players & good offensive players. Without a defensive anchor on the floor at all times this team WILL BE one of if not the worst in the league.

They desperately either need better two way defensive players in a trade, or they simply need Asik back bad. If they dont get one of the two, they will probably end up right where they were last year... fighting for the 8th seed and with a slightly above .500 record. With a motivated Asik they are somewhere between the 3rd and 6th seed with a 50 to 55 win record. If they could convince half of these bad defensive players to play even just a LITTLE BIT of defense than they could potentially be even better than just a 50 win team.

12. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Our defense became worst when Haren get huge pts without his d.

1 person likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So your saying that after losing depth and two of our best defenders to injury we might be feeling some effects?

You don't say.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd say Beverley not playing is a big part of it, but Asik as well. If they trade Asik for a PF, they still have a backup center issue they would have to resolve in another way. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

BTW, your posts are generally very low quality.

1 person likes this.
  15. bws

bws Member

I don't see where not having Beverley in the starting lineup has made that much of a difference. Not having him to play defense throughout the game has made a difference, regardless if he starts or not. The biggest factor is Asik.

16. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Yes but worse

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You are right (about the excuses), but at the same time I disagree (about the importance of Asik right now).

Alot of people didn't realize -

A. How important defense with the 2nd unit really was.
    B. How horrible our team is on defense(minus Howard/Asik/Bev) when they dont have an top defensive anchor bailing them out AT ALL TIMES.
    C. How getting just an adequate performance from one of our young PF's at the starting 4 spot would make all the difference in the world to getting better performances out of Dwight offensively & how you dont necessarily need a 10+ million dollar a year player at PF to have a good starting unit.

I for one was guilty of thinking that if they traded Asik, they could look to acquire a veteran later on like Okafor, Camby, etc. and then groom D-Mo for the future, but I think my eyes are open now that the second unit is sooooo bad defensively that you really NEED an elite rim protector on the floor to make up for all of their mistakes 100% of the time. Camby a few years ago would be perfect, but I'm not entirely sure I trust his feet to stay healthy anymore.

I dont think the front office will certainly keep Asik by any stretch (even though they are saying it publicly), but I think to win games now with this group, you absolutely need him right this second. So yes, that is a problem long term that the organization needs to address.

All of the excuses (injuries & trade rumors etc.) doesn't change the fact that the Rockets simply just aren't very good at defense and have to get better as a whole to sustain long term (I think that might have been your point about making excuses when really they just need to get better as a whole but could be wrong). One Asik or Dwight injury and this team is right back in the same boat... sucking at defense. They have to get better at developing players on the defensive end, holding them accountable, or acquiring more two way players in trades/free agency.

The Asik situation is IMO just a band aid for a much bigger issue which is this team being horrible on the defensive end.

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

of course you don't, every discussion you get into is about how bad bev is and how great lin is.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Of course you don't. You're a Jeremy Lin fan.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are just asking for Jeremy lin's b**** title.

1 person likes this.