1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

lmao. again confirmed Mchale's eyetest is nowhere better than my 90 yo grandpa.

2. AVoiceInACrowd

You can't change the stats. What you can do is choose which stats to present to support your beliefs.

Yes, stats never tell the entire story. But, at least it's a better argument than what you've been doing. Which is basically you saying that your right and the other person is wrong with nothing but opinions.

3. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

yep seems only u tell the entire story and u r always right. ah that's only what u think, in fact I think you need to go to your optometrist right now.

4. AVoiceInACrowd

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

The problem with Lin is that on defense he plays off his man too much. He really likes to go for the steal on opposing guards and loses sight of his man who then is left wide open for the three. If he can learn to stick to his man, he is the starter. I don't see why this is so hard him to grasp. That is why Beverly is starting and not Lin.

6. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Gotta say, LOHs are worse sometimes.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yep. Just needs to stay on his man. So much of his defensive issues stem from just wandering too much.

8. bws

bws Member

I agree with that, he doesn't stick to his man and can get burned from 3 and it happens too much.

9. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Just bad discipline and habit coming from college ball. Can be corrected though.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry, we can't use this statement... Not backed up by stats...

T_Man

11. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Lin needs to start as long as his body holds up.

He is a good shooter and comes thru often in the 4th quarter. Substitution patterns can still be used to maximize his time in when Harden sits.

He had a bad stretch after coming back from the knee sprain - understandable.

I think him playing as a relatively lower minutes starter would be a good idea so he can get comfortable but not worn out by the end of the regular season.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I remember this. Lin's defense is bad and everybody but his fans will acknowledge this

13. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

What a Brilliant logic!
    I hope Rockets fire D morey and sign this Maths guy quick.
    Probably just need 1/10 of the paycheck Morey is getting.:grin::grin:

14. tonman

tonman Member

he does leave his man but that is on help defense. the question is if the coaching staff tells him to do so or does he freelance. if it is part of the defense, then what we're missing is the rotation.

I would imagine if the coaching staff doesn't want him to do so, they would have told him to stop.

15. tonman

tonman Member

and for the last time, Bev is smaller than Lin and thus should be quicker and better suited to guard the lightning quick PG. but, Bev does not guard SG which Lin has been asked to do so.

please don't expect the two to have to play the same way. lin is going to have trouble against guys like IT but then again, IT couldn't stop lin. he was 7-8 in 2 point shots. he just only shot the ball 8 times (plus 2 three attempts).

the point is that you CAN NOT shut down good players. you limit their efficiency which if you can take advantage of those other players' weakness, you should win the battle. for this IT vs. Lin debate, IT still managed his points but took much more shots. if Lin took as many shots and continued to be as successful, we wouldn't be here arguing whether IT bested Lin or not.

as it stands, both IT and Lin were non-factors in the outcome of the game so to speak. it just came down to who made plays and who made mistakes down the stretch and the Kings made plays and the Rockets made mistakes. no one player won the game for the Kings and it definitely wasn't IT.

16. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Curious- how many of IT's shots came when Lin was guarding him?

17. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

Hi, I think you are insinuating another of our starter, and do not want Him to start.
    :cool:

18. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

Had IT put up 50 plus FG% against Rockets, Lin will be ripped.
    anyway, I guess for Lin's haters and McFail, even 0/17 isn't good enough.
    As a rockets' fan since last century, I hope he stay. But as a Lin's fan, maybe leaving is a better option.

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Lin got called out once. IT was charging in for a transition bucket; Dwight and Jones were under the basket; Lin had to make a choice either to move towards the basket to stop IT, or...cover a wide open McLemore (Harden was nowhere in sight). Lin decided to play half way between the charging IT and the wide open McLemore. IT made the basket. Clyde called out JLIn for this "mishap". Clyde, for the record, is a blatant TJones and Bev lover. He calls out Jeremy and DMo all the time for pretty much the smallest things meanwhile he lavishes praise upon Jones and Bev even when they make mistakes.

For the game: Isaiah Thomas was 3-5 from the field vs. Brooks; meanwhile he was 3-12 with Lin guarding him. Jimmer Fredette was 4-5 from the field vs. Brooks; he was 0-3 with Lin on him. All in all JLin held whomever he was guarding to 3-15 shooting. That's good.

You wonder about Bev? In their December 15th matchup IT had scored 19 points against Bev on 7-12 shooting; also he had 8 assists. IT held Bev to 6 points, 2 assists, on 2-7 shooting.

1 person likes this.
  20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Nice , so checklin would step up his game! He need 3 more years of turnover contest to be a starter