1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans] Dwight: Defensive woes "starts on the perimeter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 31, 2013.

1. conquistador#11

If they allowed hand checking, we would be a little better at perimeter D.
    the PnR has been one of the most difficult plays to guard since jesus walked with the dinosaurs yet the opposing teams have just as much difficulty guarding our PnR. But we don't run it as much as we should. Instead, it's try to beat your man on your own and see what gives.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be honest, Thomas is a good scoring guard.

3. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Defense is all about coaching.
    Our coaching staff have no clue on D.

4. bws

bws Member

He's an excellent scoring job and Lin contained him. People complaining about Lin's defense tonight and in general the past few games just aren't being fair. He's done a really good job defensively. His offense hasn't been as good as it could be, but not his defense.

5. bws

bws Member

scoring guard.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep. Harden is the biggest culprit because his effort isn't there like it is with his teammates, but others are a problem too. Thomas ran the offense all night tonight... seemed to get to the basket when he wanted in the second half.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Dwert true leader speaking like it is. Hardens defense cost us more games than games that he won for us.

I am just worried that this issue can not be truly fixed. He has a mentality thats gonna be hard to change and keep consistent.

8. Asian Playboy

Asian Playboy Member

McHale absolutely does. He gets up in Lin's grill and screams at him for playing like the scrub that he is. Bench that fool and trade him!

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That seems to always be the case though.

But no one goes for this excuse when Redick...also an good guard...has a good game on Harden.

I wish this was just about Isiah Thomas...but it's not, it's about any PG/SG/SF going off on us at any given moment. Not just going off but looking unstoppable.

Gay and Isiah are good, don't get me wrong...but they looked unstoppable out there.

10. SPBR

SPBR Member

How does Rox defense with Dwight this year compare with Rox defense with Asik last year? I'm not saying Dwight is doing something wrong, but if team D was better last year, what worked? I think everyone was expecting Rox D to be better this year.

11. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Truth by Dwight.

Im amazed (not really) some of y'all are trying to lump Chandler and Jeremy's defense with the pathetic excuse that has been James' the last 2 seasons (and getting worst).

Yes, Chandler struggled against Gay. He's been a much more efficient player in Sacramento then in Toronto. Can Parsons get a slight pass? He ALWAYS puts in the effort. And except for 1 time, he never left Gay open.

Isiah looked like Chris Paul? Yeah 6-17 FG is so CP3 :rolleyes:. How dare Jeremy and Brooks not hold him to 0-17. And again only time he got a clean look was from dropping Jeremy. He had to work for the rest.

James' guys though? Got easy clean practice looks at the basket. Got 17 and 15. They both average 8.
    Game probably wouldnt have been close at the half if James stayed on his guys and not get caught ball-watching all the damn time.

Bill Worrell said it, you can HIDE him, he's gotta play some damn defense. Show some effort at least.

1 person likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just wish more people would shift the blame to our other perimeter defenders. Yes we know Harden is a wildly inconsistent defender. At times he looks like the worst defender in the league and at times he's solid and holds his own.

But...Isiah had a great game, getting into the lane when he wanted, controlling the offense...Gay showed the the world he's on Durant's level...and Jimmer and Thornton came in and dropped a few easy buckets just to be sure.

It feels like every night some PG or wing player is draining open shots and looking like a all-star player and the actual good ones like Gay and Redick then look like superstars for a night.

I just think the team defense as a whole is broken, even when Harden plays well on defense it still isn't good enough because someone else is still getting a lot of open shots.

13. bws

bws Member

Watch him against the Spurs, he did that to them too yet he scored more. He did that to the Heat. The Rockets actually played the best defense on him in many games. Lin did a really good job on him. Can't believe you'd point to Lin, he played the best defense on the perimeter by far tonight.

14. pnr

pnr Member

Holy crap, I've found the biggest Harden homer on CF. Jesus.

15. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

IT went 6-17 for 17 pts (1-4 3pt). Considering the number of shots he took, I'd say he is pretty well contained. Harden was 12-26 and Lin was 7-10 for 14 pts. If anything, Lin should be getting more shot attempts when he is playing efficiently.

1 person likes this.
  16. willus

willus Member

Defense is key to winning. Period.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You guys NEVER use the "Harden was guarding a good player excuse" for him. So it doesn't apply for anyone else on the team.

Isiah had 17 and 10 assists, if he averaged that for the year he'd be a borderline all-star player depending on team success.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't turn the into a Lin/harden thing. Every perimeter player is bad. Dwight is fighting a losing battle on defense every night because the other teams perimeter players are attacking him like missiles. He's constantly in bad situations trying to cover for an attacking guard that blew by Lin/harden/parsons?

19. vizier

vizier Member

yeah trade lin and there will be no one else to blame and here comes the championship.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I did not give Harden praise in that post, not sure what you are talking about. Just because I'm willing to CONSIDER telling people that Parsons/Lin (and Brooks, Garcia, and Bev) defense is not good enough ALONG with Harden I'm now a Harden homer.

Sorry, i've been watching this game long enough to know team defense doesn't disappear when one player plays bad on defense. We seem to forget when Harden goes out guys like Wroten and James Anderson had career nights on us I guess.

I've been on this forum longer than Harden has been a NBA player...