1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: Salary Cap Implications of Exercising or Declining the T

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As always, thanks for the kind words, everyone.

You generally have the gist of things, but just note that cap space is not determined by how much salary is coming OFF the books, but rather by how much salary remains ON the books. Just because ~$16.7M (Lin's plus Asik's cap figures) is coming off the books does not mean that ~$16.7M worth of cap room is created. The remaining team salary (and the maximum salary cap for that season) will determine the available cap room.

This was a distinction that especially needed to be hammered home when Tracy McGrady's ~$23M expiring contract was still on the books. Many people thought his contract coming off the books would create $23M in cap room. Not so.

You probably understand this already, but I figured I'd take this opportunity to explain it to others.

If you read the article more carefully, you'll see that I estimated the max salary for Parsons at around $14M. :p

Using a max starting salary of exactly $14M (it will probably be a little more or a little less than that), and assuming the maximum length of five years and maximum raises of 7.5%, then the largest possible contract for Parsons would be a 5-year, $80.5 million contract ($16.1 million average salary):

Year 1: $14,000,000
    Year 2: $15,050,000
    Year 3: $16,100,000
    Year 4: $17,150,000
    Year 5: $18,200,000

Again, this is a max contract scenario for Parsons. I don't think he'll get this much money. But I do agree with those saying that Parsons WILL (eventually) get a lot more than most people think.

I never left. I read the BBS all the time. I've just taken to posting less frequently. Too many dumb discussions or debates I'd just rather not be a part of.

I regularly search the BBS for any questions people pose to me, and I try to answer as many as I can.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Parsons is the most likely guy on our team, or maybe any team to already have an under the table but not in writing (McHale) agreement, we're talking about Dan Fegan, and people need to stop acting like Chandler is an idiot and is somehow some sheep on the outer that needs to be told what's happening. I'd suspect whatever agreement Parsons get, it will be a reducing amount each year to try and soften any tax implications from the other guys.

3. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Couldn't be said better.
    From a pure mathematical point of view, picking up his option for 14-15 is just a no-brainer. I don't think you can get a significantly better deal in RFA to compensate the huge loss of the cheap option.

I can't believe people are worried about Parsons leaving in URFA in 2015. It's all about money. You save big in 14-15, and throw whatever money necessary to keep him. (Even if he becomes a sure-fire MAX player, Rockets are still at a big advantage in retaining him.) If he just wants out or Rockets don't want to pay the market price in summer 2015, we can still trade him.

On the other hand, declining the option comes with huge risks. When you see an astonishing (close-to-MAX) offer sheet with a player option coming from a "dumb" team, watch Clutchfans implode.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Imo, RFA is the smart play here, you are tempting fates allowing him to be an UFA, and As a RFA, he wins by getting a better contract earlier and the Rox win by keeping his cost down a bit.

Great read as always Bima.

DD

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let him become unrestricted.

If some team offers him ridic money, let him walk.

We have bigger fish to fry. Love or Lebron

6. basketballholic

Another thread on Chandler Parson's contract!?!?!? This is getting as bad as all the Jeremy Lin threads!!! I'll be so glad when we trade him and all the Parsons extension fans and Parsons restricted agency fans all go somewhere else............................

On a more serious note...

I fully expect Morey to move heaven and earth to trade Jeremy Lin AND Omer Asik by the trade deadline for cap flexibility in 2014....not 2015.

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Yeah,would love to Sign Bosh,cause I think he could Solve so many Problems for this team,he is a great defender especially in the PnR,can be a stretch 4,could slide to C and can score easily in the post

Better fit than KLove yeah I Said it

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Let's take a look at our roster, and one should realize Morey wouldn't pay free agent money(market value) except for : stars at max(underpaid), promising rookie scale contracts(underpaid), minimum salary contracts with above average advanced stats(underpaid).

Asik has superstar like RAPM number and plays a position hard to fill. Lin was coming off a magnificent year at 23 years old when signed. And they both were offered contracts to scare away home team matching.

Unless parsons becomes an Allstar next year, I don't see how Morey would pay him market value. If so, That's more about 'human element'.

9. rogower

rogower Member

Boy, do I agree. The reason why people on Clutchfans naively think Parsons is re-signing for a $8 mil/yr (or so) is because they are sports fans, and sports fans are almost always going to be homers.

I put together a list of 2014 free agents a few months ago on this message board, and I explained why Parsons will likely receive a max contract (or something very close to a max contract) in 2014 (or 2015, whenever he hits free agency). Most of the people who responded thought I was crazy, but I believe I am looking at Parsons' value in free agency objectively.

I also concluded that Parsons at something like four years, $50 mil (possibly quite a bit more) appears to be an overpay, and that it might make more sense to trade Parsons shortly before the draft for a fairly high (mid-lottery?) draft pick, and to let Parsons' impending free agency become someone else's problem. In a deep draft like the 2014 draft, you are probably getting better value out of the, say, #10 overall pick on a rookie scale contract than you're going to get from Parsons at $12-$14 mil/year.

I still think trading Parsons in mid-June for a mid-lottery pick is the way to go, particularly if/when the team trades Omer Asik (along with Jeremy Lin, possibly) for players on rookie contracts, expiring contracts, and draft picks. Houston would then be able to sign a Parsons replacement in free agency (e.g., Luol Deng for something like four years, $36 mil, which is less than Parsons should get) AND they'd be adding whoever they draft with the mid-lottery pick acquired for Parsons. Deng + this mid-lottery pick > Parsons.

Don't forget that this is exactly what Daryl Morey did with both Kyle Lowry and Chase Budinger. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior!

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Is this a possible scenario?

I enjoy reading about the business side of being an NBA GM but it's hard to make a decision on what to do without doing due diligence and reading up on players, what options are available for who, etc. It can get a little overwhelming.

So without digging too much into it yet, is this situation below possible?

1) Pick up team option on Parsons for 2014-2015.
    2) Sign KLove to max contract.
    3) Use Parsons' Bird Rights to sign him to near-max contract.
    4) Sign Jlin with MLE.

11. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

After you use cap room to sign someone (KLove) in this case, there is no MLE available. Instead you only have the so-called room exception of about $2.5M/year for 2 years. No way Jeremy signs for that.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Do we have Lin's Bird Rights? If so, we can we also sign him to a long-term deal?

Basically, how can we keep Lin on the team? Not a LOF. Just a Lin fan.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Lin is on a 3 year contract, so at the end of the 3 years the Rockets will have Lin's full bird rights. All they need to do is wait until the end of year 3, then give him a QO (qualifying offer) and they're free to match Lin's salary.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Correct. The "Room Exception" (which technically is a form of MLE available only to teams that create and use cap space) for the 2015-16 season will be $2.814 million, with the ability to sign a player to up to a two-year contract (with the second year paying up to about $2.94 million).

But as you said, I doubt a player of Jeremy Lin's caliber would sign for such a small amount. He'll get much bigger offers elsewhere.

Yes, the Rockets would have Lin's full Bird rights. Unfortunately, his cap hold would (I believe) be a whopping $12.56 million (compared to $1.8 million for Parsons) unless the Rockets renounce there rights to Jeremy.

While I doubt the Rockets renounce their rights to Lin until/unless a major free agent is ready to sign on the dotted line (or until Jeremy actually signs elsewhere), but it's essentially a choice between a (near-)max salary outside free agent OR Jeremy Lin. Not both.

By the end of his current contract in 2015, Jeremy Lin will be a 5-year veteran. He is no longer subject to restricted free agency. There is no qualifying offer to give him. He'll be unrestricted, plain and simple.

15. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Meaning if he keeps playing well, Rockets won't be able to afford Lin, along with Howard, Hardin, new Parsons contract, and another hot shot player.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Agreed.

I believe this is correct. Lin's cap hold should be the same as any other player under bird rights that has an above NBA average salary ($5M or so), or 150% of his salary cap hit. In this case $8.375M x 1.5 or $12.5625M.

Players under NBA salary average are subject to a 190% cap hold, so a $4M player with full bird rights would have a cap hold of $7.6M.

You are correct. I keep forgetting his year at GSW. So he will be a 5 year veteran and fall under normal FA.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Correct. However, the Rockets hypothetically COULD have Howard, Harden, another major free agent, a re-signed Parsons and a re-signed Patrick Beverley (whose 2015 cap hold is an even smaller $1.18 million). Just saying.

Even without the year in GSW, there is still the NYK year of "Linsanity" followed by 3 more seasons under this contract. Only players with 3 years or less of experience are subject to restricted free agency, except for first round picks coming off of rookie scale contracts.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Lakers offer him the same money Fegan would probably sell him LA. That's where the bulk of his connections are. That and for the greater national exposure which again leads to these sponsorship deals. Parsons has been chasing these opportunities hard since signing with Fegan.

Though the bigger danger is 2015 where nearly half of the league will have 10M+ of cap to spend. A lot of teams will be disappointed over not signing a superstar and their marketing/ticket sales dept will need some sort of splash to sell.

I really believe for the Rockets to keep Parsons they need to get that big trade done this season so they can make him a restricted free agent in 2014.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Parsons will get 10mi/yr somewhere, if not here.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Parsons is worth 8mi MAX