1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 26, 2013.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Lawlz, the denial levels continue to grow as a certain race plays the victim card.

Typical.

Not every Asian voted for JLin. Plenty of genuine and secure basketball fans from all walks of life.

But every JLin vote is by an Asian. 90-95% at best, and that's why he's ahead of Harden. There's nothing wrong with it, but seeing all the ridiculous attempts at trying to justify it does make it evident this has never been about basketball, but a subconscious effort at penis enlargement. And that's what really disappoints me - you guys are better than this.

2. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Same with Howard, his drama has probably caused him a lot of votes...his votes should be closer to Kobe's than Lin's.

3. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Sir. You are pulling numbers from thin air to justify your delusional internal hatred of one race..."every JLin vote is by an Asian". You are indeed the better and "bigger" man.:grin:

4. Doctor Serious

I voted for Lin. I am not, nor have I ever been, Asian.

I vote for all Rockets, whether they deserve it or not.

5. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I don't know what race you belong to, but you are not doing your race a favor by posting such idiotic posts. The last time I checked, a lot of students at many best universities in US were Asians or Asian-Americans. Do you think Jackie Robinson didn't have a lot of black supporters due to his race when he started playing baseball as the first black player in MLB? Lin is the only Asian-American in NBA right now, so of course, he's going to generate support. Besides, the Chinese make up a big percentage of the world population, so even if 0.1% of Chinese voted for him, Lin is going to win the All-Star voting. The fact that Lin is not winning the All-Star voting shows that percentage wise, not that many Asians voted for him. For example, I didn't vote for Lin, because I am just lazy to vote for anyone. I don't even watch All Star event. However, after reading your stupid ass post, I just might vote for Lin, just to piss off people like you.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

First of all, Rockets' PR isn't pushing Harden any harder than they're pushing Jeremy, or Chandler, or Dwight. They post the same image every day, which promotes voting for all 4 of them.

And the answer is quite simple, even though some people don't want to acknowledge the obvious. Jeremy Lin has an international following, due in large part to his background. I mean, just check the official Houston Rockets page on FB. There are tons on tons on tons of posts there from Chinese fans -- men, women, teenagers, pre-teens, etc. -- who likely would not follow the Rockets if Jeremy didn't play for the team. I'm not saying that's the only reason, but it is a huge one.

And it's not a knock on Jeremy AT ALL... just like I said earlier in this thread, anybody who is one of the very first to crack a professional sport will have the overwhelming support of those who look like them and thus, relate to them. As a black woman, I can say with certainty that black people (certainly my generation) paid a lot more attention to golf and tennis once Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters started playing. My parents' generation couldn't have cared less about anybody else who played tennis, but they loved Arthur Ashe. As a kid, I rooted for Dominique Dawes over every other gymnast because she looked like me, and I wasn't used to seeing it. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. It's human nature, and it happens in every race.

Plus, there are those of us who vote for all 4 guys whenever we vote -- I know I do. So he gets those votes too, as well as of people who likely vote only for him and not for the other Rockets on the ballot. I'm willing to bet that there are posters here who only vote for Jeremy and not the others. Which is fine, but it's a factor.

And on top of all of that, Harden is not a guy with a big personality. Even though he's pretty polarizing, Dwight has a ton of personality. People either love or hate him. Harden is quiet, unassuming, low-key, and not very excitable... I don't think his personality is one that lends itself to wild popularity around the league, which is OK. Plus, I think people know he is a player who would likely be selected by the coaches based on skill, so voting him in through the popularity vote is probably not a huge priority for those who would like to see him in the ASG.

#266 KlutchQT, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

After I read your idiotic post, I voted for Lin just to piss you off.

8. KlutchQT

And honestly, I'm not sure why Harden's popularity (or lack thereof) is of such concern. Who cares if fans of other teams like him??? I sure don't.

9. KlutchQT

Thank you. This is absolutely nothing new, and I don't understand why it's a big deal from either perspective.

10. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I would have thought many people voted for Harden because of his long beard, because that gives him an instant recognition. Yeah, let's vote for that bearded guy, what's his name. For certainty, all bearded men (and women) probably voted for Harden.

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Well put. I have a great admiration for Arthur Ashe and Athea Gibson, and I would have voted for them as All-Stars if tennis had such event.

12. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Me neither. My other point is that if a big percentage of the Chinese population really voted for him, Lin would have 10 Million votes right now. The fact that he doesn't is an indication that most Chinese don't give a ***** about the All-Star event. I haven't even voted for anyone because I don't even follow the All-Star event, but after I read that idiot's post, I voted for Lin and CP3. And Aldridge and Parker. And Melo and Kevin Love.

13. KlutchQT

Haha... the bearded women for sure. :p

But honestly, he's just sort of boring. I effing ride or die for this team, and he is indubitably the best player on it -- but if forced to rank the roster in order of my faves, he isn't high on my list simply b/c he doesn't have much of a personality... not publicly, anyway.

14. Chris Jent MVP

If someone was to say Jackie Robinson only got voted to the All Star Game because of the black vote, that person would be rightly called out as a bigot. Yes, he has obvious black support, but he also had white support. And those black baseball fans became fans of white players too. Jackie Robinson succeeded on account of his talent. Jeremy Lin is also succeeding on account of his talent. This is the point I am getting at.

If someone is using race as a factor to deligitamize Lin's accomplishments, that is bigotry, plan and simple.

15. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Dwight is definitely more likeable. I think Harden's personality comes out in strip joints.

16. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Agree. I even watched Jackie Robinson story, even though I found it to be kinda boring.

17. KlutchQT

It's obviously extremely ridiculous (and obvious trolling) to say every single vote Lin got is from an Asian person. But to pretend that the number of votes he has are 100% rooted in his talent and have nothing to do with his unique background in this league is equally ridiculous.

And I wouldn't be offended one bit if someone said the same about a black player. If there were an all-star something in tennis, you bet your ass black people would go in droves to vote for Venus & Serena, and that it would likely boost them over other players. Does it mean every vote they got would be from a black person? No, but I wouldn't be offended in the least if someone acknowledged it as a big factor.

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Reported.

BTW, I heard there are about 1.3 billion Chinese people out there so I think their p3nises work just fine ;).

19. Chris Jent MVP

Same thing with Tiger Woods. And another thing I should add - it is not only the black voice that increased Woods' popularity - it was also hispanics and white and asian people who celebrate diversity, who joined on the Woods bandwagon. This is another point I was trying to make in regards to Lin.

I myself and Spanish-Italian, I have no dog in this fight, except for the fact that I celebrate diversity and I fight against intolerance and bigotry. Most of my friends are white, and we all love JLIN. The struggle is real and we support him. Because he is a Rocket, and because he has skill. I have talked to MANY white people who aren't huge fans of the NBA, who support Lin as well as Woods and other trailblazers.

These are the types of people who would vote Lin for ASG simply because it pisses people off. Trolling for progress. Make no mistake - there are A LOT of us, and most of us aren't Asian.

20. KlutchQT

Chris Jent, exhale. Only one person in this thread has said ONLY Asians vote for Lin, and that person is an obvious troll. I don't think anyone else has said that or is dumb enough to even think it.