1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 26, 2013.

1. N/A

N/A Member

Lin does not deserve to be an all star this year but I do think he has the potential to be one in the future. Not sure if he'll ever get that opportunity and freedom though. Hell, we don't even know if another team will pick him up in 2 years.

2. Chris Jent MVP

1) there is a difference between saying "Asians like Lin" versus "He's only popular because he's Asian"... see my sig.

2) there is another unsaid side to that same argument - focusing on the Asian vote implies that Asians only vote for Asians, and that non-Asian players don't have Asian votes. Both of which are untrue.

3) it wasn't Lin fans who brought up the Asian argument. It was detractors looking for an excuse to dismiss Lin's popularity. Most fans of the NBA happen to be white people. White people like Lin too.

3. N/A

N/A Member

I don't think you understand how the All-Star game works. It consists of 24 players people want to see the most. Not who is the best. There are snubs every year. Every other All-Star game in every other sport has the same format. Why should the NBA be different? There seems to be extra complaints for Lin's potential entry into the game and you have to wonder why. There were undeserving and deserving players before Lin and there will be undeserving and deserving players after Lin. Deal with it.
    Besides, one of two things will occur. He'll either play well and justify his entry or he'll play poorly and the global audience will think twice about voting him back in. Win/win?
    As for Harden, hopefully he will take Kobe's place. There's a guy who clearly does not belong in the ASG.

4. Chris Jent MVP

He's popular because he's a good player.

5. Chris Jent MVP

Those damn Asians, they ruin everything.

Why don't people talk about Kobe's Asian voting base?

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Completely false. The starters are determined by a popularity contest, but the reserves are voted by the coaches, aka the best players in the league. Usually the fans just go for the big names who most of the time are the league's top players.

There are extra complaints about Lin being ahead of Harden here because this is a Rockets fan board and everyone here knows who is better.

Kobe does not deserve to be in it at all this year either, and he won't. He'll get voted in because of his delusional fanbase, but he will most likely be recovering from his knee injury still.

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Lol, listen Chun Li. White people like ice cream. White people like Javale McGee. White people like.. a lot of things. It doesn't mean they're voting for him - 95% of his votes are coming from Chinese males.

They see each other as the underdog. Spited by women around the world, made to work harder in school due to limited openings for Asians in certain universities, and now... with a ruler to lead them all. Do you really take pride in that kind of popularity, a million asian guys defying logic by battling for him on the internet as a kind of WOW guild alliance, annoying every other nba fan more interested in basketball and style than these petty ethnic insecurities? That's not the kind of popularity Lin himself would want (if he's a wholesome Christian and law abiding citizen). Look within yourself for a higher power - try keeping this thread on topic with guys like Durant. Love. Aldridge. And the oddly low # of overall votes.

Shanghai. Beijing.
    Tokiyo.
    Intonashunal luv.

8. Chris Jent MVP

95 percent huh :rolleyes:

the rest of your drivel is inchoerent trash. don't drink and post, mkay.

9. Chris Jent MVP

Atleast you are bold enough to say what other cowards are afraid to say.

So tell me this:
    How many % of Dwight Howard's votes are Asian?
    How many % of Tony Parker's votes are Asian?
    How many % of Kevin Love's votes are Asian?

Surely you have these stats. I would like to see the stats. Show us the stats.

10. Honey Bear

Lol, don't be in denial brah. It's better to accept the reality of the situation and understand why what you perceive as "popular" isn't exactly an accurate depiction. It differs drastically from a guy like Yao Ming who had fans of all races and countries based on his game and ability.

http://www.topix.com/forum/asian-american/TMA0QMGVRUCDQNO6Q

11. Honey Bear

Why does it matter with actual All Star players? Even though Parker has been a top PG for most of his career, he was never overhyped in France or the US because

A. French guys are good with girls - don't try to live through others
    B. French guys have lives

http://alpha-asian.blogspot.in/2008/11/angry-asian-man-syndrome.html

So again, don't get me wrong. This isn't an unfounded attack - I eat out at Chinese restaurants 4-5 times a month and I eat well. I'm just trying to nudge your comrades and you into a better place where you understand that you're not helping your cause by fighting these imaginary battles online. Let the NBA fans have their fun, and you have yours in a manga book or something. But don't bring that cartoon fantasy logic here.

12. baki

baki Member

Because Harden is not a popular player that's why.

13. baki

baki Member

Should have ended this thread long ago.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

At least condescending white guy shows true colors.

I eat a lot of Mexican food. That makes me an expert in all things Latin.

Sorry white guy - you really have no clue...

15. PeppermintCandy

It's not even "Some of my best friends are Chinese," but "I eat Kung Pao Chicken several times a month, so I must not be racist."

Hahahahahaha. Have yourself a fortune cookie, my brother.

16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

I just think all star weekend voting is one of several important factors. And it is really weird that Harden Left behind Lin very much.
    And Our PR is really pushing Harden very hard. How come the result is so?????

17. muas2010

muas2010 Member

OK. Joe Klan, I see where this going. Listen, you are white and like a lot of things, probably hang out with blacks, Asians, and date out of race. However, when it came time you didn't cast your vote for Obama not because you don't like or think he's the better candidate but because you are afraid of change and what you perceived may alter your way of life. Take off the hood, the world is not against you. Yes, no white person voted for either Lin nor Obama.:rolleyes:

18. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

its kind of hilarious that someone with a name like honey bear is so racist. he jumped right into it too. the "listen chun li" caught me off guard, haha.

chun li, meet becky sue-ellen smith

des moines, nashville
    back porch budweiser cousin luv.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Guys. Honeybear is a troll, do not seriously engage with him.

20. torocan

torocan Member

There's a significant amount of backlash against Harden by the general NBA fan base due to how Harden generates his fouls. If you read other boards there's a TON of complaining about Harden flopping and how they find his barreling into the lane sometimes without even a good attempt at a shot as exploiting the rules.

Let's put it this way... if you were a Memphis fan and watched Harden score 22 points on 2 shots, you might feel the same way.

The general consensus is Harden is very good, he's just not liked all that much, unless he happens to be on your team. :grin: