1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight in the low post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 14, 2013.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I was noticing that too. It's mainly because of Dwight and Harden, but it feels like Asik, Parsons, and Lin draw a lot of fouls from opposing big men as well.

We're gonna be putting a lot of teams in foul trouble this year. Kind of boring to watch? Yes, but VERY effective.

2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The only time Dwight looks great is as soon as he makes the catch, he makes his move before letting the defense settle and he can use his speed. But when he waits a few seconds after the post feed, the defense settels which forces him into making a move by using footwork(which he is not good at) and the net result is a turnover more often then not.

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

THIS!! But sometimes our passing is ****e

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I think the post feeds are getting a lot more percise.Whilst they are not perfect, it's a massive improvement from the start of preseason.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yep, it was particularly evident in the Pacers games in the preseason, not only because Hibbert is huge, but the defence would always just collapse in and Howard had no room to operate. This game he had alot more space, was alot quicker in his decisions.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

That is what Dwight has to understand that he is not good enough to rely on post moves to get his points but more so with his speed and explosiveness which no other big in the NBA has.

7. conquistador#11

looks like the timing is coming around. they kept feeding him too and our entry passes were crispier or should I say crisper.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

he looked good last night im happy thats what i been waiting to see out of a 22mill center !!! imagine if we had a strech four and he could go one on one with centers, or force a double team and have to kick out ! and lanes would always be open for a drive !

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

As dominant as Dwight was in Portland no one wanted to feed Dwight against LA. I thought Kenny Smith was 100% right: Dwight has to Demand the ball but if he isn't demanding the ball the guards have to bring it up. It is baffling that they wouldn't force feed him the ball with the game he had in Portland and the way he left LA.. ridiculous and frustrating..

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree. Him only getting 10 shots is ridiculous. We'd rather chuck up contested 3's than feed the best center in the whole damn league, smh.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dwight's struggles against Bargnani in the post:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5nfgZX92cKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

they cant give him straight postups, he doesn't have any strong moves or counters. They should put him on the move with backdoor lobs or cuts

13. DaneB

DaneB Member

The Knicks game he only had 5 shots! I feel like we need to start going to Dwight at the beginning of the game and get Howard involved early in the game. I don't see any reason that Dwight can't do these moves that Shaq and Barkley had in those videos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7QDSVce3tkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He's more of a garbage man post player. He's not that tall so he has trouble with taller centers. He's quick so he can clean up misses and good for dunking lob passes. But once he hesitates and starts dribbling, it's pretty apparent he has no post moves at all.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

because he is not as big and strong as shaq. because he is not skillful as dream and yao. did you notice the jet pointed out how rox counterattacked the size of shaq? the quick turn around jumps. a lot bigs in nba nowadays are too big for howard to just use his very limited skill set to counterattack. if he can't develop jumps or sky hook shots, he won't be an effective low post threat unless all bigs are only 6'9 or short. plain and simple. the more you post him, the worse your team offense will be.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This season he is getting 11.5 FGA per game.

His career average is 11.2 FGA per game.

His career high for a season is 13.4 FGA per game(done twice)

I think he is getting the ball plenty, but I can understand wanting to get him up to his attempts in his peak years. Bottom line is we aren't really under using him on the whole so far, let's see how the numbers shake out with more games played.

17. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Seems like a relevant time to bump this after dwight dropped 39 and 19 on the pistons

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Early in the season Dwight was constantly trying to face and drive, and it wasn't working. Tonight it was mostly jump hooks, which seem to be a much better shot for him.

19. jbasket

jbasket Member

Dwight did both against Drummond I think?

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/FosterTaylor1">@FosterTaylor1</a> Has turned it around spectacularly. Everything in column was accurate, including prolonged decline over 2-3 seasons</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/414806668732403712">December 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/FosterTaylor1">@FosterTaylor1</a> As I said, he's been great since that column. Was very bad from mid-12, last season, and start of this one. Both can be true</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/414808928375955456">December 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/FosterTaylor1">@FosterTaylor1</a> I wrote he was declining up until that point, and the evidence was indisputable. Just as it is he's been great since.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/414809018121478144">December 22, 2013</a></blockquote>