1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Asik trade fell apart at high level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bws

bws Member

Great for the Knicks, terrible for Houston.

2. coffeelover665

pay no mind man. These comments does nothing but agitates you.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Whoopy is definitely cognizant of the reaction his question could cause, but I would challenge him to first make a conjecture of his own. Instead, he's instigating and providing nothing in return. Boring.

Nice write up Clutch. Interesting to hear Morey's thoughts on this... I hope Asik returns to 2012 form in limited minutes, somehow.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

How could any Rocket fan see this as a good trade for this team??

The only useful player in that trade is Melo, but he has a player option and could opt to leave the next season. Furthermore, Melo's skill set clashes with Harden's.

Felton is the worse starting PG in the league. An old, injury prone and overweight player.

Kenyon Martin? Another old injury prone player who could barely play for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Absolutely terrible trade for the the Rockets.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If hindsight isn't 20/20 then I don't know what is. But point taken. In some alternate scenario, we might have gotten Davis with that pick. So, that pick was #23. Good enough to take a flyer on someone who might stick as a role player if we're lucky, but comes with a minimum 2-year guaranteed contract. Plus Thabeet who took up a considerably larger chunk of cap space. I think it's debatable that it was for the good of the team's future and I saw more value in making the playoffs to establish the reputation of the roster as quality enough for a star to consider it an acceptable destination.

But, that's all beside the point anyway. I was responding to someone who was saying management might have pulled back because of concern how it would impact performance in the short term. I pulled out an example about how they're willing to sacrifice wins in the short-term in order to make what they feel are the best moves for the long-term health of the roster. Things are a little different now because we're a legit playoff team and not a bubble team. But, honestly we're still a player away, so I fully expect that Morey is willing to take a step back this season if it means we're stronger next season. His motive for ending talks had to be the paltry offers on the table, not the prospect of playing without a legit backup C.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I thought it was odd that a trade would go down, while Asik is injured. He went from a thigh contusion to "we don't know why his knee is swelling up," but yet there was very little talk about it. Sounds like a red flag to me. There's no way that didn't drive his value down and took away any leverage Morey may have had.

Even now, i'm not sure why more people aren't talking about it. We could end not trading him OR being able to play him the rest of the year.

7. 6thward

6thward Rookie

Asik in breech of contract?

I loved Asik last year and enjoyed watching his effort and comical inability to score. I dare say he was my favorite player, but he is really angering me right now. He is a good player and we could really use him - he only makes us stronger, but he wants to be a little pussycat. I don't know how a guy can just quit and say I don't want to play? If he refuses to play, don't pay him! Also get him off my bench, let him sit at home if he does not want to be on the team, don't let him fratenize with us.

8. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

From...
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...r-asik-dead/7C3NED3WUagSONQ8OMv8lK/story.html

Multiple reports, including the Globe, indicated that, according to NBA sources, a deal was “close” Wednesday night and that the teams were haggling over a draft pick.

“Houston is desperate and Daryl outsmarted himself,” a league source said.

“Fifteen million is too much to absorb in 2014-15,” a league source said regarding the Celtics.

=====================

When I heard of Morey wanting 2x first round draft picks for Asik earlier I thought he was crazy and some GM said he was "delusional".

I really think both the Sixers trade and Celtics trade fell apart over the draft pick. Any GM of a team rebuilding even contemplating giving Morey a first round draft pick in 2014 would have that trade nixed by the owners and promptly fired.

2014 is projected to be the best draft class since LeBron with multiple potential future stars. We couldn't trade Asik because we were asking too much... simple as that. If Morey is going to insist on 2014 first round picks from rebuilding teams then I think he wont be able to get a trade done even by the Feb.20 deadline.

Personally, I don't think Asik is going to play his best from now on (we'll see). I would've taken a Hawes or Young trade for Asik straight up or even thrown them a future 2nd rounder.

No Kudos to Morey from me in these negotiations. I think some CFs overrate him just as they overrate many of our players.

9. rogower

rogower Member

Exactly.

We should expect Omer Asik to be traded by Feb 20. Houston will receive better offers.

I suspect part of the problem last week is resentment/jealousy, as Daryl Morey is running circles around a large majority of his peers and everybody knows it. There is the fear of becoming the latest hoodwinked trade partner. There is also resentment that Morey is paying Asik only $5 mil for All-Star-caliber play in 2012-13 after giving up nothing (besides money) for Asik and subsequently dumping that big $15 mil 2014-15 salary AND getting something valuable in return.

Has anybody ever dominated a fantasy sports league which results in nobody wanting to make a trade with you? Because they know you're better at fantasy sports and you're just going to rip them off and make them look stupid? I honestly think that's a lot of what's going on here.

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why do you find it hard to believe? The same reason Morey would not accept Bass and Lee for Asik is the same reason Hinkie won't accept DMo for Young. Hinkie won't be hoodwinked by Morey. So far Hinkie has got the best of Morey, Picking up a young Turkey prospect and cash for the chance to take a look at White. It cost him nothing. He'll take those kind of deals anyday but don't expect any stupid deals that favor Morey coming from Hinkie. He knows Morey too well.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Well, we will have the last laugh on them

as soon as we can get Asik to play hard again.

Yeah, I agree with CH. Asik should know we were the only ones who thought he could be a starter and were willing to pay him $8.3M a year for his services (still a bargain btw).

Asik was the only one who forced us to trade him. We still love those 48min of rim protection and insurance on a DH injury (knock on wood). Let's go get a top 4 seed.

12. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Yup, these teams are desperate for a quality point guard like Lin. Not just that they are down to almost nothing in term of pg due to injury or aging, but that they all had been blown out by Houston piloted by Lin as pg and had seen how he directed the great ball movement and up tempo type of offense. NY won't mind to see Linsanity II, LOL. Except for the Bulls with Deng, there isn't anything of value much to give Houston for Lin that Houston wants or can afford.

13. Convictedstupid

Maybe the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum ever. And I have read some really dumb stuff in my 5 years here.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There would have been a lot more of them had Morey done one of these deals.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets didn't "outsmart themselves." Morey demanding a lot for Asik isn't what caused the other team to refuse to make a big offer for him. The market was what it was. Morey's asking price didn't cause Asik's contract or talent to change.

The person quoted by the Boston Globe seems to think that not getting a trade done by December 19 is some sort of catastrophic worst case scenario. It really isn't. No trade is better than a bad trade. Making a bad trade would be the worst case scenario.

If the market doesn't pay a price that justifies losing Asik according to Morey's analysis, then Morey shouldn't trade him just to get a deal done.

16. basketballholic

What all those guys don't realize is this allowed Morey to dig and dig and dig into each team's situations, find out what they're after and what their plans are. All that information will help him later on get the best deal.

Outsmarted himself?? Get real.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

My first thought on these contracts was how hard will they be to trade. Murray is hinting an owner vetoed the deal but I think that has more to do with Asik sulking, demanding a trade AND being injured.

Lin is getting better and I doubt Murrie will regret that deal unless Lin stays injured on the bench. Still not hard on our cap and not a long contract to fool with future plans. We all know that was a Les move anyways.

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens when a team really needs a center this year, due to an injury or being on the bubble of whatever their goal for the year is.

19. Rocketeer Bang

First time poster but long time Rockets fan. My fanfare with the Rockets dates back to the WCF in 1984, when Hakeem was still Akeem in his rookie season, and along with Sampson formed arguably the best TT the league had ever seen that subsequently brought down the Lakers dominance in the Western Conference in the 80's.

I also want to qualify this post by admitting that I am Asian-American so that automatically qualifies me as LOF?? while I am a fan of Lin, mainly because of his meteoric rise and how his story is an inspiration to all of us, I am a bigger Rockets fan and would want nothing but the best for the Rockets.

Now I wonder if Morey regrets not signing Dragic when he had the chance, and when all other options fell through (Lowry had already been traded), and there were no PG on the roster, Morey gambled on bringing Lin back with a poison pill contract, which even though is not a detriment to salary cap, it has proven to be tough to move given Omer's trade prospect.

Dragic had initially asked for a contract in the $32 million range, but in the end, he went back to the Suns for I believe to be a $28 ~$30 mil deal. This figure is well within what Rockets were willing to give (Lin actually got paid more), except that Rockets was adament about not offering the 4th year player option. Morey's reasoning was that any player with player option will be difficult to move down the road. Now I am not here to second guess what Morey has done, I personally think he's one of the best GM in the league, but given the difficulty to trade Asik because clubs are owed $15m in that 3rd year, it makes me wonder which contract is worse to move - 4th yr player option or a backloaded contract.

Seeing how well Dragic has done in Phoenix makes my heart twinge. I don't have faith in Harden dominating the ball, but imagine what the Rockets backcourt would look like if Dragic is playing next to Harden.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed.

2 people like this.
  20. basketballholic

That was a tough, tough call and very hard for me to understand at the time. If we acquire another superstar between now and 2015 there will be no further questioning. If we continue to struggle and don't get closer to a ring by 2015 and don't acquire another superstar by 2015 then the decision could be rued for eternity.