1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Asik trade fell apart at high level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 20, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I know its just one game, but you have to think that while sitting on the Celtics deal, and watching the Chicago game when Greg Smith got destroyed in the paint and the Bulls went on a run, that it was actually Les Alexander who told Morey that he's not ok with this deal, and not the owners of the Sixers or Celtics.

The way Morey mentions it, it does sound like it would be the Sixers or Celtics owners who got hot and bothered with the idea of Asik's contract, but you have to wonder if Les and Morey had second thoughts after sleeping on it, and seeing a game where the defense completely collapsed when Dwight went out of the game.

I know personally after watching that game, and then hearing the next day that we were keeping Asik, it felt almost like we just acquired a defensive center for a poo-poo platter of rotation players rather than almost traded one.

2. bws

bws Member

He was giving some thoughts and Asik and Lin have similar contracts. Nothing Morey said suggested anything about Lin being moved.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wonder if that Royce White trade was a factor in the Asik deal falling apart. If teams really were balking at paying the $15m cash outlay, being able to get $3.2m from the Rockets would have made it somewhat more palatable. But, they probably sent something like ~$2m to Philly in the White trade and had only <$1.5m left to send. Come next offseason, the Rockets can send $3.3m to a receiving team to subsidize the salary of either Asik or Lin.

But it doesn't make sense to sweeten the pot with assets for someone to take Lin or Asik. Lin might be expensive but he's producing and his salary isn't destroying our cap. It does apparently drive down the price teams will pay for Asik, and apparently by too much.

Overall, I think this is pretty bad news and it's funny to see how happy so many people are. Yeah, Lee/Bass would be poor compensation and I'm glad we didn't take that deal. But, it's turning out Asik is worth a lot less than I had hoped. His contract is a bigger impediment than I had anticipated, so it sounds like he wanted to traded at the deadline either. The Twin Towers didn't work, so he won't give us many minutes. His talent will mostly be wasted sitting on the bench. I'm hoping for an offseason trade now, but the deadline of 2015 might actually be most realistic -- that's when a team can swoop in for a last push for 2015 contention and hold Asik's bird rights for the coming offseason while paying less than half that $15m salary.

4. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Yes, definitely thoughts. Just asking still not sure why it was included, no need to get crazy about it.

5. bws

bws Member

Did anyone hear McHale's comments yesterday? It sounded to me like McHale may play Dwight and Asik together at times again. No, not a TT to start the game but maybe they'll try to get Asik's role increased to where he feels involved again and plays more involved. He'll then feel better about being on the team.

6. bws

bws Member

You wrote confirmed that Lin was in trade talks when all Clutch did was obviously mention Lin because of the similarity of their contracts. They are exactly in the same place in their contracts. I find it's different because Lin's minutes are similar to when he started but he's been given almost a bigger role in directing and securing the bench guys but he still has playing time with some of the starters. So he has a chance to put up numbers to justify his contract which he was doing earlier. Asik doesn't have the same minutes he had as a starter once TT failed where he was a starter.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know, these are the same guys who submarined a playoff run by trading away Battier for a scrub before his contract could run out.

1 person likes this.
  8. Apache

Apache Member

I heard that bulls want Lin.

9. dobro1229

I didn't really get a sense of that myself. From hearing Harden, Parsons, and McHale talk the little bit about it, it seemed like they were hammering home how important he is to what they do on the court defensively & how they like to get out & run after a rebound.

Without that anchor in the middle, and the way they defend from the perimeter where they run people off screens, and funnel to the paint, not having Asik when Dwight is out of the game kills their team on the defensive end.

You almost have to have one of Dwight or Omer on the court at all times for their defensive schemes to be successful. Also allows them to get out on the break following a rebound which leads to the easy points that they thrive off of.

10. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I was a simple question, people are so sensitive these days.

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

It was

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

... says the guy who asked twice why Jeremy Lin was "mentioned."

13. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Hey, just want to know your thoughts. Maybe I'm reading too much in it but I'm not the only one speculating that he might have been involved. But if you say you didn't mean that then I'll take your word for it.

14. dobro1229

From who.... someone on Clutchfans? I have yet to really find concrete evidence that any team in the league is interested in acquiring Jeremy Lin. Only suspect rumors that the Rockets might be shopping him.

That's a team that could be ready to go in one of quite a few different directions. Alot of that has to do with what happens over the next two months. I wouldn't count on them having a real high interest on any big contract player until closer to the trade deadline when they figure out where this team is headed.

Rockets & Lin fans should really just get used to the idea that Jeremy Lin might very well be playing out his contract with the Rockets. I dont doubt that Morey will bring up his name in trades, but I just dont see a huge reason to trade him when he gives the Rockets something that this team needs vs. what he would bring back in a trade.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One issue about trying to trade in December is that many teams are not really ready to make a major decision yet. They don't quite know for sure whether they want to "compete" or "tank"-- especially given the disparity between the East and the West this season, where many bad Eastern teams are actually in the playoff picture while decent West teams are outside the top 8. They also haven't exactly decided what their teams need and what price they are willing to pay. Moreover, knowing that the real trade deadline is 2 months away, they know that there will be further shopping opportunities ahead even if they don't get Asik right now.

The return was the scrub (with 1 more year under contract) plus a 1st round pick. It was the right call to make for that team.

#35 Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Really doubt there will be evidence others are trying to acquire Lin. As with Asik, the only evidence is that the Rockets want him more than the other team.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Because he has the identical contact and has been mentioned as a possible trade casualty?

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Lin's playing well this year and didn't ask for a trade...

19. SunsRocketsfan

well that proves it.. Clutch is a LOH cause he mentioned his name in his thoughts.. Clutch stop being such a hater

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

agreed. I forward the motion to have this "Clutch" poster on this forum to be banned for blasphemy.