1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Motiejunas's agent in Lithuanian: "it's a matter of time when D-MO gets traded"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by outlaw96, Dec 19, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The roster spot for the 10th or 11th player in the rotation? Wha'???

BTW - - DMo has talent and an understandable desire for p/t. I have no angst with this and I believe in 2 years or so we will rue his absence. But, we expect to contend before he becomes that player.

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Dmo hasn't failed at all. Jones got the first chance and he took it. Dmo has had to play back up center and he doesn't have the tools for that position. He is not a center, I think that is evident.

I hope he gets to Philli as he would be a great asset at the 4 when Noel comes back.

Dmo can score at will in the block, can make a move from the elbow, runs the floor really well

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He does enough if he could hit a 3. If he shot 40% from behind the arc all the other things are more than adequate. He's got a decent motor and his defense is good enough if he could hit the 3. In time he might get it down. He does have some skills around the rim that are definitely above average but on this team are not needed as much. If he could find the right team who needed some of that he could get some minutes.

With another coach he could get more minutes but if he could stretch his game out along the lines of Dirk he would be much more valuable to any team. Of course he will never be Dirk but he has shown some ability to shoot. he needs to concentrate all his efforts on improving that area of his games. Play more like Casspi and quit practicing with Hakeem so much.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

This is the worse news I have heard about the Rockets in a long time.

I don't blame Dmo, I would be pissed also. For the little bit of time he has played this year he hasn't played bad, but for him to play better he needs consistent playing time. It's hard to get a few minutes here and there and play well, you need playing time to get your rhythm back. If you're a jump shooter it may come a little easier than working in the post.

Hopefully Mchale will stop being a dumbass and play Dmo and he will change his mind. To me if it came down to keeping Mchale or Dmo I would easily choose Dmo. I think he can be a very good player in this league and I still think he is a better player than Jones.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Although sporadic he has had his chances, and you can tell that McHale is frustrated that they really don't have a great fit for him.

Everyone rags on McHale for not playing D-Mo and previously Jones minutes, but those posters have no idea or don't care to remember Rick Adelman with young players. Once he got his mind dead set that he couldn't use you, you were bound to the end of the pine for the remainder of your tenure. I actually get the sense that McHale wants to use him, but just doesn't know how to make him fit.

1 person likes this.
  6. Billionzz

Simple, give Dmo a chance to play, that really hasn't been done this year.

7. Billionzz

Dmo hasn't had any consistent minutes. He had some in the preseason and he played well then. Giving him a few minutes here and there and not using him right when he is in the game is a waste of tlent and that is the coaching staffs fault. In my mind Dmo shows the most potential of any post player we have had in years except for Howard of course. Dmo can score in the post, and he played well and moved the ball well the first preseason game of the year when he started with Howard and Lin.

I really don't understand why Morey is allowing this to happen and doesn't step in and make Mchale play Dmo.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey has sort of forced McHales hand before right after they traded PPat & Morris. McHale even admitted that he was essentially being told to develop D-Mo and T-Rob.

Morey can't tell McHale how to do his job all the time. He can only put a roster together that supports low competition for players he wants to get PT because he thinks they are a big part of the future. Thats about it other than flat out going and telling McHale how to do his job. Might as well just take away his clipboard too.

D-Mo was told that to earn minutes in this rotation he needed to be able to knock down the three. He admitted that he wants to be on the low block, but then at the same time the coaches continue to not trust him at the other end.

I've been a huge D-Mo fan, really root for the guy, and think he can be special. However in this case, I'm realistic that at this point its not McHales fault. You can only blame the coach for so long. The Truth is he's gotten his shot, and has yet to do anything better than the other guy that contributes to wins.

I'd personally like to see him developed another year. I don't think he's physically even hit physical maturity yet, and his long term position is the center spot where he needs that man strength. However it looks like he's going to push himself out the door and find his way back to Europe pretty soon because the grass isn't as green on the other side and his best bet to make it in the league is to give it another year of developing with this organization. He gets to learn from some of the best to ever play, and is in a situation where the backup 5 spot will be up for grabs at some point and the starting 4 spot is there for him if he can ever learn to keep his feet square when shooting the 3, and hit a few shots.

9. pass_to_Hakeem

He isn't doing anything when he does get the playing time. He got just as much last year as T Jones did yet this year he looks worse. He's just overhyped and it's showing

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of Jordan Hill. The dude was inconsistent as hell and was like daydreaming on the court.

But look at him now. He's become a nice rotation player with the Lakers.

DMo is definitely more talented than Hill. He just doesn't do anything well enough to beat out his competitions for PT.

11. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

D-Mo is better than Dwight, because Dwight can't catch him, and they have TVs in Orlando.

12. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Dmo being moved is good for him and can benefit us if we get a veteran back. It just so happens Jones got the chance when Asik sat and he took it.

13. pass_to_Hakeem

^^ that AND DMo just is t as good as we all hoped. Jordan Hill is fitting in nicely here in LA. I don't even know if DMo will be that good

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The only players who should get open slather on play time in order to develop are future franchise players. Role players need to be put out there and held to a relatively tight leash, fill your role or don't get playtime. Dmo's problem is he doesn't really fit an nba role, no one in the nba is looking for post players. It's a nice luxury and all, but all the people who play in the post come with a few other skills that are wanted more. He has no midrange/3 game, his defense is deplorable, he's a poor rebounder, basically he provides nothing else.

To make matters worse, he doesn't seem to want to work on a skillset that would make him useful to an nba team, Jordan Hill for example has turned himself into an energy/rebound/put back guy, that skillset has value. Unless something drastically changes, his future in the nba will probably consist of a min contract 3rd string center, so he'll probably be better off back in Europe where he can play against lesser competition.

15. Billionzz

Just because you right something in a post that doesn't make it true.

What the Rockets want and some other NBA teams are wanting in scoring in the paint and 3"s. So when you say nobody in the NBA wants a post player that just isn't true. That's what the Rockets where missing last year. When the run and gun wasn't working all the time, we needed a way to change things up and play in the post some.

Dmo hasn't played bad D this year or rebounded bad. I would say the his D and rebounding would be equal to Jones ( I like Jones a lot ) if he would get some consistent playing time. We know that he can score, even when he plays the few minutes, he always seems to score.

The real fact is that this is Mchales mistake by not playing a player that has the potential to be a very goes talent in the NBA.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

DMo is not a lost cause and the post game still has value. I'm sure Popovich could turn DMo into a Boris-Diaw-type player. DMo is still young, needs PT to develop and unfortunately he's not on the right team. I wish Pop could get his hands on DMo, help him refine his offense and develop his defense. Also, DMo's European (in terms of bball playing style and mentality), something the Spurs see as a plus. He's also shown to be a competent simple passer, another skill he can develop to advance his game. DMo may not have a future on the team, but I think he'll have a decent career in the league, that is if learns how to catch without fumbling the ball away.

17. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I'm not sure I like the culture Morey has built. Why not ask for a trade if you're a Rocket? You're already treated like an expendable asset. Unless your name is Harden or Howard -- in which case you play lazy sometimes and know there are no consequences.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. brooksstephens

D-Mo has shown no signs of being a good player. His value is a throw-in to make salaries match a little better.

20. nobie

nobie Member