1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broken Promises, Broken Dreams: Boston Herald on Why Omer Got Angry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 19, 2013.

1. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Totally agree - it's a two way street.

And sometimes you mess with the wrong guy and it backfires. Not everyone is a lemming.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The NBA will win not Omer Asik at the end of the day. Unlike most minorities in the nba Asik could always go back to Turkey. Asik is lucky to be getting the benefit in this situation to be totally unprofessional and get away with it. Honestly what he is doing is just as bad as what Royce White did. You getting paid to play ball so play ball bottom line.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not wanting out that's the problem here it is him moping about and not giving his all. It is ok to make trade demands but as long as he isnt traded he should play as well as he could since the Rox are paying him good money. Maybe DM ehould give him just half his money since he's only giving half the effort when he plays. :rolleyes:

4. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

You mean no player ever gets screwed over by their team's GM? Which NBA do you follow?

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What does that have to do with it. No one in their right mind thought their was much of a shot of Howard coming here. Morey himself believes almost no one walks away from the extra millions that 5th year allows the home team to offer. Add that to the fact that LA is the best franchise in the league and if they were willing to give the keys to the city to Howard he would never leave.

Once Howard got traded to LA nobody thought he would leave. Especially Morey. The fact is Howard would have never left if he was treated like the franchise player. But the Lakers weree and still are Kobe's show. Stupid decision IMO.

As for Asik what Morey did was a business decision. He is good at taking the personal side out of decisions. That's part of what makes him so good. But Asik loves playing and believed he would be our franchise center for a while and now he is not. He has been relegated to a 15 minute a game bench player.

Yeah he could've just shut up and take it like a man but ask yourself how you would react. If you knew you were better than at least 75% of the starters in the league and you can't get more than 15 minutes on the court. He thought, however naively, that Morey would never do this to him. It's not hard for me to understand he is a little disgruntled. I don't think anyone should begrudge him that. It's a game and it's not like he is getting millions to play and he is not playing D and taking plays off when he is out there.

We'll see how it plays out. I expect Asik to still be unhappy but I also expect him to suit up and play again. We still could use him for those 15 minutes. This may still turn out to be the best non trade of the season.

6. jocar

jocar Member

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...-return?Frontpage&sf20165874=1&nclick_check=1

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Most? the power agents, Asik's included are lawyers.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Asik agreed to his contract on July 1, Howard was traded on August 10/11.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This makes no sense at all. Should we cheer for the Pacers on Friday if they beat the Rockets? They are doing what's best for them, after all. Maybe one of them will commit a flagrant foul, and we can all stand up and say" way to go! Always got to do what is best for you".

I'm not really sure who you guys are fans of, but I am a Rockets fan, so my side IS the organization. None of these players were part of the team when I became a fan, and I'll still be a fan when they are collecting Social Security(hopefully). I couldn't care less what is best for Asik or any of them, if it is not what is best for the Rockets.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is really no evidence that all this was said. All we know is Morey has been going after Howard before Asik, and has been going after Howard even when he was about to sign Asik.

If you are asking me how I would react, then I could confidently say I would act maturely.

I know that:
    1) The organization is still paying me, so I am financially secure.
    2) The organization is actively trying to find a way to fit me on the team.
    3) The organization is actively trying to find a new place for me when I request to be traded.
    4) By pouting and refusing to play, I am putting myself on a blacklist across the NBA and making it that much tougher for the organization to trade me.

Asik's behavior hurt both the organization and his own trade value. It's one thing to be upset, it's another to quit on the job.

For the best interest of both parties, I sure hope Asik suits up and plays with effort.

1 person likes this.
  11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Too bad that's exactly what he did, and what most of us have problem with. He refused to play a couple of times. And when he did play, he was only a shell of his old self.

12. Raven

Raven Member

If Asik had played along, and not openly pouted, he might already be with another team. He put Morey in a weak bargaining position, and now he's paying the price for that. This isn't helping Morey's rep, either. It's a bad situation all around unless Omer is traded later today. If that happens, no one can say Morey didn't do everything possible to restore his trade value.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Aren't you going a little overboard on this? It's not like Morey swindled Asik and got him on a discount, he paid full price for him.

Okay, supposing Morey did say they aren't going to sign another center and then he signed DH, and let's suppose Asik had the ability to go back in the past knowing that Morey would sign Howard one season, would he go back in time and choose to stay on the Bulls? Or would he still sign that contract considering it paid him 25M for 3 years and the Bulls were only offering 20M for 4? Would he say F-U to Morey and turn down 1 year as a starter to....backup Joakim Noah?

When people go the betrayal angle to me there has to be some sort of thing you would've done otherwise had you known, hence the betrayal. Even if Asik had known DM was lying he would've still signed that contract and played for Houston, we offered the better deal both in money, PT and now with DRose injured in contention as well. That's why Asik's gotta suck it up and play to his contract, the Rox are the ones responsible for making his paycheck fatter than it would've normally been.

If you want to talk about a player the Rox screwed it's gotta be Slowmile Swift. Now, that dude signed at a discount to play with Yao and Tmac and we shipped him back to Memphis once he signed his MLE.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Poor little Houston fans think as long as employer pays you millions, he can do whatever he wants to you.

Obviously those fans are not thinking from Asik's level. He is working in an environment where his co-workers are all paid by millions, so having a salary in millions is nothing special.

And from his perspective, if he settles a role as a backup center and only plays 15 mins per game, it will severely reduce the size of his next contract. In other words, Houston Rocket is costing him millions by reducing his role (Lin is in the same situation).

Why do you want to work hard for an employer who not only costs you money but also is known for ready to ship you out as soon as next opportunity comes?

#174 ivanyy2000, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I call bull****. Morey would be nuts to make that promise and Asik and his agent would be moronic to believe it.

16. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Whoa there buddy....you are about to blow up the minds of a lot of hypocrites on this site.

"Rabble rabble rabble rabble. WHAT he won't play...its a business, he needs to suck it up and deal"

"What he is trying to treat it like a business and forcing a team to honor its promise and give himself an ability to make more money in the future?"

LOL...hypocrites. Its a business.

17. Hak34

Hak34 Member

BINGO.

Stop using words like ASSETS, stop treating players like assets. Build team chemistry, treat players fairly on all levels. Hold players accountable for the same things across the board, and you don't get messes like this. If you want to go out and get Dwight, yes its a business and all do what is best for your team. You have to trade Asik immediately. Otherwise you come across as a douchebag organization to players. Imagine if Lin then starts making with the fuss. We already have Charles Barkley poking shots at the Rockets every chance he gets because he was "cheated" out of 5 million dollars by the Rockets.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Therefore, the smart thing to do is pout on the bench and refuse to play, and when you do play, put in minimal amount of effort. Why demonstrate your unhappiness behind closed doors privately, when you could do it on the court in front of millions of people publicly?

That will definitely make it easier for your employers to trade you. Let the whole league know they have leverage in trade talks against your employer, and let the whole league know you are pouting and refusing to play with effort.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes it is a business, a business that paid him 8M a year to play b-ball to the best of his ability. What is hypocritical about that? I work a at desk office job for a living and I get good money, so I'm expected to the best that I can when I'm at work. You're telling me if you went to resto to eat you're ok with the food being burnt because the cook was having a bad day?

Nobody is faulting him for asking for a trade if he's not happy or he thinks it will damage his future earnings, but he IS expected to play well without moping about because he signed a contract to do so.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Asik averaged 15mpg putting up like 4ppg/5rpg in his seasons at Chicago. Morey gave him $25mil. You know what that means? It means that if you play hard in the time given to you, smart basketball people will see you and appreciate you. And they will pay you, knowing that you can be even more productive with more minutes.

You know who DON'T get paid? Players who refuse to do their work and constantly nag their team about going elsewhere.