1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lovie Smith + Which O-Coordinator?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ferrari77, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Seeing as Lovie has been interviewed and one would consider him a legitimate possible hire as the coach of this team, I've been trying to figure out what good offensive minds are out there that the team might consider hiring to handle that side of the ball. We know Lovie is quite good with the defensive coaching(especially when Ron Rivera was on his staff) so one would figure the team would need a very good offensive coach to pair with him.

The only one I can think of is Kyle Shanahan-who will probably leave the Redskins once Snyder forces Shanny 1 out.
    I know Kyle had has his time in Houston before but I'm still high on him. I wouldn't give him as much blame for this Redskins season as I would to Shanny 1, the Redskins O-line and the Redskins turrible defensive personnel and Jim Haslett.

Who else is out there that you all think would or might be considered by this team for the offensive coordinator role?(If the future coach, e.g Lovie, doesn't hire his own person).

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There's bad press about Kyle and how the Skins were the same good ol' boy network we've grown tired of over here. No more Shanahan inbreeding for me. I don't know who're the up and coming coordinators, but Bevell from Seattle doesn't entice me either.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Kevin Gilbride?

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like Kyle shannahan a lot. He ran the best offense this team has ever had

5. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like him too. He's shown the ability and desire to change the scheme as well when needed (unlike Kubiak). At the same time it's rumored that he's the problem in Washington and cant get along with RG3 who's having a terrible year. Not sure if he's the guy you want in a rookie QB's ear.

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been wondering if he would ever get another HC shot. He got a raw deal in picking Leaf over Manning. That one decision doomed his coaching career. He may not have handled the Leaf thing well, but why hasn't he gotten a sniff at another HC job?

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

No more Shanahans please, we don't anything from the past we need new faces

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At no point did Kyle ever "run" his own system here... he did call Kubiak-approved plays for one season, with Kubiak having veto power over anything he didn't like and Kubes still implementing his preferred game plan, and by no means was that season the "best" offense this team has ever seen.

He's had mixed results in Washington... certainly not good enough to earn a "promotion".

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was the Colts who almost picked Leaf over Manning and ended up picking Peyton #1... Gilbride then took the second best QB at the time.

The only other pro bowler behind Leaf in that draft was Matt Hasslebeck... who was picked in the 6th round.

Gilbride never made a "mistake", unless you say picking Leaf at all was a mistake.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whats happening in DC is the act of Mike Shanahan not Kyle. Kyle is far more a players coach than his father. Outstanding OC.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would love to get him, but it would likely require Coughlin being fired from the Giants and the staff being let go. He would never leave Coughlin for another team.

13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Hate Gilbride for the way he ran the Run & Shoot. He was horible at. Plus I've hear his own players didn't like him much hear in Houston.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Just basing off of this article. Unless stated otherwise there's no distinction between Kyle and Mike's actions and everyone knew they'd go down together ever since Kyle took that job.
    http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/write...-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Mike Ditka three plays
    Run up the middle
    Run to the right
    Run to the left

Ditka

16. Fantasma Negro

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Sure hire him and then hire rex ryan as def co. Maybe Rex can finish what Buddy started and whip Gilbrides tail. I hate Gilbride!

18. Since75

Since75 Member

Hue Jackson! A guy who can actually call offensive plays.

19. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

none of the above. As well as Lovie.

Texans hire Bill O'Brien.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Love can't keep his nose out of the offense.