1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Exactly, we have no leverage but I'm an ******* for saying it. I should just sugar coat it and say well at least we didn't get kwame brown in return.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hey clutch, what are the chances the morey balks at any of the offers and decides to wait until the trade
    deadline? Would asik be forced to play in order to save face? I would imagine his reputation as a work horse is stretching thin right about now.

3. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know... maybe he really meant a platter of poopoo... :grin:

4. Andrew Wiggins

1) Lee's contract is terrible while Asik's contract is a bargain (as a fan all I care about is cap hit).
    2) This was when Asik was a back up. A back up averaging 3 points and 5 rebounds. How can you honestly compare the two?
    3) Lee played well in his contract season. He got paid, and he's not the same player as he was during the season that got him that contract.
    4) Is an overpaid Lee playing behind Harden really worth losing all of our cap flexibility and ability to sign a max player in 2015 when we have Garcia and Brewer?

I can add more, but you guys are crazy if you think Morey takes Lee's contract.

Troll.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know about anyone else. But I understood pretty early on that Lee was not enough to get Asik even before Asik became a starter. Great defensive bigs are just that much more valuable than smalls.

Since then, Asik has proven himself capable of being a full time impact starter while Lee has mostly been a bench guy. They also are under different contracts than they were back then. Lee, in particular, has a longer deal which eats into potential 2015 cap room.

Lee is a decent player-- average overall, but has a couple of useful skills that he is very good at. I liked his performance as a Rocket. But I don't like his contract and I don't think he and that package is worth Asik.

I'd prefer getting someone who has at least a chance to play special, even if he doesn't always do so statistically. Thaddeus Young is probably the best bet among the names floating out there. I'd take him. Maybe even Jeff Green. But not guys who are known ordinary pieces like Lee, Bass and a "lesser pick."

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the best offer on the table for the Rockets is from the Celtics (Bass, Lee, 1st rounder) then if I am the Rockets I step back and keep Asik until Feb 20 deadline.

The idea of trading Asik NOW is that the parts we receive would then be "flippable" at the Feb 20 deadline. The problem is NO ONE wants those parts (Bass, Lee).

You are better off keeping Asik as the chances of a better deal coming along are much greater in my estimation.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It would be a salary dump for them and it clears space for their younger players. The pick would have to be a lotto one to get Morey to budge on taking Lee's salary. He'd be a backup for 3 years behind Harden.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

This. I would take a disgruntled Asik over any deal. I would rather play out the remainder of Asik's contract than to get someone else's garbage.

Asik knows he has no leverage. He does not make up the rules. He's only plummeting his own stock down. By the time he's a free agent, no one will even offer him a decent contract.

Might as well make the best out of your current situation...

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Always a fluid situation and doesn't mean he won't be traded today but hearing Omer Asik is scheduled to take team flight w/Rockets to Indy.</p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/statuses/413728792931098624">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Are you referring to Kwami Brown and the rights to the young, overweight Marc Gasol?

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets have leverage because they can keep Asik for the next year and a half and they also likely have other offers on the table. The current situation is not ideal but the Rockets still have more leverage than the teams calling.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey doesn't **** around.

Chess mutha****ers

13. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. pnr

pnr Member

Keep Asik! If he plays like he did in Chicago then this team will be a top 4 seed.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Ummm yeah he's on the rockets team...

16. nepopop

nepopop Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. torocan

torocan Member

Another smart move. Makes it clear that if they don't reach a minimum price, he's willing to walk.

Also gives him flexibility if the deals stall to keep playing Asik.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Maybe we can make a trade to the Suns for their medical staff?

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

You sure about that? Do you think Leslie A would allow that? Pay a player good money to sit on the bench or be told to just stay home cause you didnt get Millsap or some near all-star? I don't think so. You can't get equal or better value in every trade you do, regardless of what you think. That's just the nature of business. Keeping him just to keep him because it wasnt a deal you thought was equal is not a good business idea. He is giving you absolutely nothing so you get something for him and move on. Makes no sense to just keep him.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its not delusional from an on the court basketball value, but the delusion comes from not understanding the basics of the GM business and the trade market.

From that standpoint, its quite obvious why his trade value is much poorer than his on the court value.

Of course EVERY team in the NBA would love to have him, but they would have to have-

A. Starting spot readily available
    B. Salary cap ability to make a deal
    C. Trade assets & ability to trade
    D. Has to be in a win-now or sort of now scenario

If you focus on just A. you'd find it difficult to pinpoint any team that has the starting spot available. New York has Chandler, Chicago has Noah, Atlanta has Horford (they want him at center even if he doesn't want it), et. etc.

So how many teams really are there to trade with to create that demand???... two to five maybe, and then you have every other factor in place.

The fact is Morey is not just bad at trading. This has to do with a product he's selling that has very little demand right now.