1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Which he should. They put the team into this boat, they can be the ones who get him out of it. I know the Rockets really dont like putting deals outside of their control, but in this case I'd probably make them do the heavy lifting... more to send a message than anything.

This tells future players that want out that if you want out, you have to buy yourself out or stop cashing the checks.

Again, I think Daryl is being wayyyy too diplomatic, but hopefully this solid he's doing for Arm and Omer pays off in the future which might be why he's doing the heavy lifting and being so diplomatic.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

None of the picks they own is even in the lotto as things stand.

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The best looking duo in the NBA....reunited??!??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My guess would be Hawes. If it was Thad Young, I would think the Rockets would be looking for picks to take on that contract. Maybe I'm not judging Young's value correctly, but I would think Hinkie would be much more anxious to trade Young (2+ years left on his deal) than Hawes (cap-friendly expiring).

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Or the Celtics rumored deal that went viral yesterday was really to play chicken with Philly to get them to throw a pick in for Thad Young or Hawes.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

True, but maybe (again, purely guessing) the Rockets are looking for a non-lottery protected pick, similar to the Toronto pick that was key to the Harden deal.

That's possible too... but Hinkie and Morey are programmed to know each other's moves :)

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There was a point in last nights game where the Bulls announcers mentioned that our 2nd unit was all minimum contracts guys and that when they come in, the Bulls make their run.

This hit home with me. And even though we will get Lin back at some point to help offensively, its clear neither Smith or Dmo can anchor the 2nd unit defensively.

The Asik situation is turning into Royce White light. Morey didn't cave on his principles with White, so I don't see him doing it for Asik.

If no good deal is available, and Morey resets the situation by doing no trade. One has to wonder whether Asik will wise up. Perhaps Asik's new agent can succeed where his prior one failed.

8. HoustonLiftoff

In regard to the Celtics deal,

The rumor mill had the Celtics as the frontrunners to land the 7-footer with an offer of Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a first-round draft pick, a deal first reported by Yahoo! Sports. The teams were said to be haggling over the draft pick, which would be protected to some degree in the 2014 lottery.
    Such a trade would fulfill Morey’s desire to get a backup center, a shooter and a draft pick. However, Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald wrote that Celtics president Danny Ainge made that offer a week ago, but was turned down at the time by Morey.

Maybe it is a diversion to get the most out of another team.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/12/19/rockets-weigh-final-bids-for-asik/?ls=iref:nbahpt6f

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

After hearing the Celtics rumored deal yesterday, Thad Young and a late first rounder sounds a little more enticing.

I think he helps in the short term maybe slightly less than Bass AND Lee (Lee being the more obvious fit), but he might be easier to move later on than Bass and Lee.

He's younger, a great athlete, versatile, and if he improves even more from the outside he's going to be someone I could see teams wanting alot more than 30 year old Courtney Lee's or Brandon Bass's.

I think he' has more value in the long-run even on a bad contract.

10. mockster

mockster Member

Sixers and cavs are the three team deal they have currently that they can pull the trigger on. Boston and hawks were just talks they prolly ended.

11. anchel

anchel Member

Clutch, the rumoured deal with Boston makes no sense for Houston, and you do know it, you wrote a very good article naming logical Rockets preferences.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Thaddeus Young is a much better player than any of the other names involved judging by RAPM:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/PHI.html

And we know that Morey (and other statistically inclined guys, including gambler Haralabos Vulgaris) uses some version of this kind of stat when discussing players (like when he talked about Lin having the 3rd highest impact on winning last season).

13. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree, but it's hard to judge until we see the whole deal (if that one were to happen) because the deal would be primarily about one thing: The pick, and we haven't heard any details on that.

We know Daryl has been looking for multiple picks in some deals, so I would think that for taking Lee off Boston's hands and taking back Bass that the pick considerations would have to be quite valuable.

(and thank you for the compliment on the article.)

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

sorry..

#4275 MadMax, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the 55th pick in the 2024 draft sounds more enticing…..at least it wouldn't kill our cap with nothing more to show for it than filler scrubs

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Hi clutch I enjoy all your articles and analysis.. If you had to guess right
    now? Where do you think Asik goes and who do you think comes to us?
    Give us your best Guess...

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

not real its FAKE

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i believe Omer's real twitter account is like @AsikOmer or something like that

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

thank you...i was wondering that. didn't seem like something he'd say at this point.