1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

Everytime I get on the internet to see if the trade went down
    [​IMG]

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

You are being one sided here -- what if the market deteriorates?

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Thats still no guarantee..

And you have already purchased a better house (D Howard)... just cut your losses and move on.

4. Andrew Wiggins

Today we trade Asik.

Tomorrow Sullinger, Hawes, Jason Smith, Jefferson, Valanciunas, Noah, Bynum, Lopez, Hill, and Kaman get injured.

5. 4TT1L4

4TT1L4 Member

Lithuanian media informs that D-Mo asked to be traded. His agent (same as Asik's) has talked to him in Houston. Source of the information is agency represantative in Lithuania. http://tinyurl.com/oggvysx

6. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

I'm not even going to argue if your valuation of Ask is more accurate than the managements of other NBA teams. It's clear that it's the later that actually creates the market.

Guess how many votes Asia received for last year's all-NBA defensive team voting? ZERO. There are 35 players receiving at least one vote last year and among them there are 6-7 centers.

I am ranking Asik No.4-8 defensively as a center and about No.10 overall, and I suspect I may be a homer...

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You are right,but Asik is considered as a one dimensional player which is not entirely true as we all know.
    A low first round pick plus Asik would be ok with me. I doubt if Atlanta will budge though.

8. Andrew Wiggins

Who the **** is D-Mo to request a trade? Nobody wants him. His agent can screw himself. The team we trade him to won't play him either.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Worse than Bass/Lee/1st? Highly doubt it.

Plus between now and Feb 2014 you can still make some home improvements at no additional cost - i.e. Asik puts in great effort in the game and start showing his real self. His value will only rise from now.

10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Lmao...that's funny..he must've got word he a was in the trade...and wanted to pretend like it was on his own terms...****ing noob

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Asik is the most offensively challenged center I have seen in a while; the guy can't even catch the ball, and even when he catches it, it takes him several seconds to dunk the ball. Tyson Chandler is definitely better on offense, even if his offensive repertoire is limited.

12. Andrew Wiggins

Oh, and Horford. Definitely Horford.

13. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

first of all, why would you use this season to evaluate him as a player when he obviously isn't playing 100%? also LOL at using PER to evaluate a defensive center. PER is notorious for not accounting for defensive contributions outside of raw box score stats like blocks/steals, and if you knew anything about basketball you would know those things don't mean good defense at all.

now lets talk about his defense. name 3 centers better than Asik defensively. there isn't anything he does poorly defensively. last season we had a top 10 defense when he was in the game, and pretty much the worst defense in the league when he came out. have you seen him guard players like Aldridge and Griffin that like to face up? he usually does an extremely good job, and it is because he is much quicker than most people expect. his footwork defensively is nearly flawless.

you think he was a liability offensively last season, but he was putting up double digit points on above average efficiency. this season even with all the effort trouble and such, he is right at league average efficiency. he turns the ball over too much, and that is honestly the only legit criticism of his offensive game (not catching the ball is included in this since it leads to turnovers), but he makes up for it with excellent outlet passes that started breaks and gave us easy baskets.

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

"Donatas, through his agent, has formally requested to be dealt to Minnesota so he can finally go in the woods with the wolves. He ain't scared."

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Ludicrouth? Ludicrouth?!" (Mike Tyson voice)

No, Morey doesn't have to make a deal now. Hold onto Asik until February---and watch the team chemistry im-f******-plode.

And in February? When he's even more expensive on a game-by-game basis thanks to next season's looming balloon payment?

Anyway, judging from Asik's big goofy grin last night, I think he knows he's going, and maybe even to what team.

But if a deal doesn't happen now, how many more losses can we pile on thanks to this pus-dripping festering wound of a situation?

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This is so lame, 200 pages speculating on rumors lol

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of when I was 17 and threatened to quit my job (and take my talents elsewhere), thinking that doing so would make the managers treat me better. Instead, they LOL'd and said bye-bye.

#4197 Haymitch, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  18. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

i'm just waiting for this thread to all of a sudden jump 10-20 pages...means **** went down...

19. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

Nothing really new. Sorry if this has been posted. Just saw it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10163639/houston-rockets-move-omer-asik-trade

The day has arrived for the Houston Rockets to live up to their vow to trade disgruntled center Omer Asik.

The Rockets have been telling rival teams for two weeks that they will trade Asik by Thursday, and according to sources close to the process, they gradually continued to move in that direction Wednesday.

ESPN.com reported Tuesday that the Boston Celtics had emerged as the strongest rivals to the Philadelphia 76ers in terms of Asik's likely destination. Entering the final hours before the Rockets' self-imposed deadline, sources said Houston officials spent much of Wednesday weighing the merits of Boston's offer of forward Brandon Bass, guard Courtney Lee and a future first-round draft pick for the 7-footer from Turkey while remaining engaged in talks with Philadelphia and leaving open the possibility that other teams could still join the bidding.

[+] EnlargeAsik
    Scott Halleran/Getty ImagesOmer Asik has been coming off the bench since mid-November, adding to his frustration.

The Rockets, sources said, have been interested in prying veteran center Spencer Hawes away from the Sixers along with a future first-round pick, but they won't know until Thursday whether Philadelphia is prepared to part with that much for Asik or whether Boston's offer is the best available.

The Boston Herald reported late Wednesday that the Celtics actually made the offer featuring Bass, Lee and a protected first-rounder last week, only for Houston to reject it.

On Thursday, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge downplayed the notion that his team is on the cusp of making a trade, but admitted the front office staff is having discussions with teams about what is available.

Appearing on Boston sports radio 98.5 the Sports Hub, Ainge was asked about if any deal was imminent.

"I have no indication of that, other than the rumors," said Ainge. "I have no indication, in my dealings with and calls with other teams, that we're close to doing a deal."

When this process began, Rockets officials were hopeful of getting more for Asik, who is regarded as one of the league's elite interior defenders. But the combination of Asik's offensive limitations and a $15 million balloon payment next season in the final year of his contract appears to have made it difficult for Houston to generate the interest it anticipated.

When ESPN.com first reported Dec. 6 that the Rockets were telling teams they planned to trade Asik by Dec. 19, one of the reasons used to explain Houston's deadline was the fact that Thursday is the last day any traded players can be packaged with other players in a subsequent trade before the league's Feb. 20 deadline. The immediate decision for Houston, then, is whether it's better to go ahead with the best available offer Thursday to retain maximum flexibility or whether it's smarter to step away from the bargaining table and reset in hopes of getting a better deal.

Sources said the quality of the draft pick that the Celtics are willing to surrender from their stash of nearly 10 future first-rounders over the next half-decade will be a key factor in determining whether the proposed Asik-to-Boston deal goes through.

Most sources connected to the talks, however, expressed belief Wednesday that the Rockets ultimately will go through with a trade, since Asik's demotion from the starting lineup and desire to be dealt following Dwight Howard's arrival in July have hung over the team for the past month.

The Rockets will have a better chance of getting a trade construction they like if a third team can be recruited as a facilitator, but sources said Wednesday that the Atlanta Hawks and Cleveland Cavaliers -- two teams widely anticipated to be at the heart of the Asik talks -- were not engaged in active negotiations with Houston.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the season with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

The Hawks, sources said, have been resistant to making versatile forward Paul Millsap available to the Rockets, while Cleveland's interest was said to be as a potential third team to absorb the contract of Celtics forward Jeff Green. But sources say Boston has refused to make Green available in Asik scenarios, offering Bass instead.

Both Bass and Lee played with Howard in Orlando, but there are questions about how well Bass' game meshes with Howard's compared to power forwards with better shooting range. On the plus side, Bass has only one season left on his contract after this one at $6.9 million.

There are league sources, meanwhile, who have maintained all month that the Rockets' plan to trade Asik by Dec. 19 was hatched in part because of general manager Daryl Morey's confidence in being able to strike a deal with Philadelphia, where former Rockets assistant general manager Sam Hinkie is now running the Sixers' front office.

The combination of a thigh injury that led to knee discomfort and Asik's clear frustration since being dropped from Houston's starting five in mid-November has limited him to just eight games since Nov. 20, with stints ranging from seven to 23 minutes in those appearances off the bench behind Howard.

Houston tried playing Howard and Asik together and initially was hesitant to entertain trade offers for the 27-year-old, based on the premise that the luxury of having either Howard or Asik on the court at all times was too valuable to surrender so quickly. But Asik's angry reaction to losing his starting spot changed the dynamic.

Asik has wanted a new address from the moment Howard arrived in July and, according to sources, has privately requested a trade numerous times in the months since.

He started his first 90 games as a Rocket after signing as a free agent in the summer of 2012 before declaring himself unavailable to play the Knicks in New York on Nov. 14, snapping a streak of 239 consecutive games played in the regular season. Asik is averaging a mere 18.3 minutes per game, down from last season's career high of 30.3, and is averaging just 4.4 points and 6.8 rebounds.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Lol right! D-Mo has no business asking for a trade.