1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Regressing.Deadspin] Rockets are league's worst defense out of timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CDrex, Dec 17, 2013.

1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

LINK
    [​IMG]

Okay, so obviously sample size.

Obviously this also isn't something to panic about and immediately blame on the coach - for example, this stat rates the Spurs as a poor offensive team out of timeouts, and we know that Pop's Xs and Os are just fine.

So let's talk about this with a little less panic and a little more careful analysis. A couple of possible factors.

1) Houston's strongest defensive assets are Howard and Asik. Both are (one would think) at their most effective when the play is starting at the top of the arc, giving them the ability to survey the court from a familiar position. Plays out of timeouts often feature an added dose of motion and can be designed to unbalance the defense, negating slightly the power of an interior defender. As an example of another dominant interior defender whose team performs worse out of timeouts, check out Roy Hibbert and Indiana, who rate a -11.5 out of timeouts compared to Houston's -22.5.

2) Conversely, covering well-designed timeout plays takes a lot of focus and motion from the backcourt players defending it. Harden, Parsons, and Lin do all share the tendency to ball-watch a fair bit and over the course of the season, such distraction could be turning down the defensive efficiency a bit.

Whether you see this as a real problem or not (I'd call it a real but pretty minor one), what do you think is at the root of this stat and how can Houston improve?

Feel free to discuss the offensive side, where the Rockets rate more positively, as well if you wish.

2. quatin

quatin Member

I'm not surprised we're terrible at TO defense. What's going to come out of a time out offense? Pick and roll.

What do we suck at defending? The pick and roll. It would be nice if someone had some stats on our PnR defense, but I feel like we're terrible at it.

McHales idea of defending the PnR, is to just throw out a high energy, in your face defender to just "lock down" the ball carrier. There's no team strategy out there. Ironically, Asik looked like the most competent PnR defender, who pushes the carrier out and runs back to defend or properly covers the ICE.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Wow had never heard of this stat. Its fascinating. Thanks a lot!

4. rawool

rawool Member

That's a very interesting stat, great post. Thanks for sharing.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I remember noticing that the Knicks scored every time out of timeouts against us

6. bmd

bmd Member

Yep. ATO defense is pathetic.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

McHale doesn't run the defense. Samspon does.

8. AvgJoe

Anything on the offense? I think we are one of the worst in the league coming out of TO on offense as well.

9. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

We're 7th best in the league on offense... So no, your "eye test" BS opinion of our coaching staff doesn't hold true, but nice try.

10. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Well does this mean mchale isn't a good coach?

11. AvgJoe

7th best on offense out of the timeout is what you saying.

What I've seen are more for timeouts taken when the other teams made a run to cut down the lead or tied the game or breaking away. The stats made in the article was given for all timeouts, including official timeouts.

It's good to know our offense out of a timeout in general is good, but I still trust my memory for timeout at critical situations.

#11 AvgJoe, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So what you're saying is that when faced with hard data from a study, you conclude our coaches are crap at planning defense schemes. But when the same study shows that we are among the best in planning offensive schemes, you ignore the data and still think our coaches are crap while citing a non-existent set of data inside your head?

Ok, I will be sure to completely ignore your opinion of our team from now on - thanks.

13. AvgJoe

My opinion is consistent with offense and defense. We do not have good performance in general immediately after time out. I think it is because we do not have set plays to go to. It's mostly governed by read and react system we are playing. I can see our performance in general improve a while after timeout, but not immediately, because it takes time to adjust in the read and react system.

And I didn't ignore the data. What I said was:"It's good to know our offense out of a timeout in general is good, but I still trust my memory for timeout at critical situations."

I recognize the data in the study, but for the situation I described (as in the critical situations), in my memory we did not have an immediate improved offense.

As I said, for the study, it included data for ALL timeouts, not just the critical ones.

14. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Honestly, this is an interesting metric. So interesting it completely scrambles the spectrum of good/average/poor of just about everything measurable. Which means it probably signifies 0 and the 'metric' isn't metric at all.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, could still be coaching considering we're better than 7th offensively without TOs.

16. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

I wonder how a teams average age correlates to post TO defense. Young players tend to be less disciplined than veteran ones, so maybe this is just a function of execution.

17. cbk41

cbk41 Member

You can't purely isolate post TO defense because it coincides with an opposing post TO offense. But yeah, young players tend to be poorer defenders than veterans for a lot of reasons.

18. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

That might just be a by-product of being one of the league's youngest team. We will improve over time.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i knew something was foul every time the opponent hit a three pointer on the inbounds play -just like they drew it up...

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

MIA's bottom 5 ranking is also surprising... maybe their limited bigs.

Everyone saying Rockets' age: consider most of the top 10... CHA, WAS, and DET are all ranked high.

I just think the Rockets' leadership, as a whole, is crap. Best players and coach.