1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobcats willing to trade MKG to Win Now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/Handles_Messiah/status/412651309712826368?screen_name=Handles_Messiah

I don't think it's wise. Didn't they go through this before, where they traded for expensive vets only to get slaughtered in the playoffs a few years back? I suppose they might make the 2nd round given how bad the East is (just avoid being the 7th or 8th seed and you'll likely be OK), but can a Nguyen now trade really land the someone who really elevate above "halfway decent"?

2. Nook

Nook Member

If they really will deal MKG, I would not be surprised to see Morey find a way to spin Asik for him.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

dumb move, all these crappy east teams need to stop trying to out smart everyone and just let their young guys play, MKG could be a big part of their future why dont they let him learn?

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'd love MKG as a Rocket but it's a pipe dream at best.

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

There is stuff that he doesnt want to change his jumpshot form,really all he is good for is defense and running out on the break. He is like a Tony Allen but at SF but has more upside if he develops a outside shot he can be a stud and he is young as well. I think its too early to trade him even if they want to win now they just need a good center to play next to Al and theyll make the playoffs that way.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

From Ford's article:

Bucks: Not only is Larry Drew finally giving big minutes to his young players, like John Henson and Giannis Antetokounmpo, but the Bucks have been steadfastly rejecting trade offers (for players like Rudy Gay and Omer Asik) that would make them better now.

Cavs: From the sound of things, the Cavs are still trying to find a way to make the playoffs. They've been active in trade discussions with an eye toward improving their roster now. Our Marc Stein has mentioned both Luol Deng and Omer Asik as possible acquisitions.

Bobcats: From what I can gather, all of the Bobcats' phone calls are about making this team better now. I'm even hearing rumblings that Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will be on the table when he returns from injury.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd agree with your analysis... except for the fact that it is MKG.

For some reason I'm rooting for him, and man is he young... and a decent rebounder, and smart enough to understand that he isn't a prolific or even above average offensive player...

... but his upside window seems a FAR FAR way into the future. Maybe at 25 he is a Batum like player, or maybe slightly better. Or maybe he never gets better.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I actually said this Summer that MKG could be one of those Thomas Robinson type of players that gets moved unexpectedly this year, and suffers with constant trade speculation being ANOTHER 2nd pick in the draft who is good, but doesn't live up to his up and coming all star NBA salary that they give to top 5 picks.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised as well if the Rockets use MKG as bait in a 3 team deal to get the assets they want, and move Asik to the Bobcats. Its not a bad idea at all for the Bobcats to move him right now while he still has value & intrigue. If they wait much longer, it could really hurt his value when teams finally figure out that he's not an all-star type of player.... just a good prospect who was drafted too high.

9. CertifiedTroll

Hope whoever takes him, breaks his shot down, Nerlens style. I think thats the only hope for him to develop into more than a low end role player. Since he doesn't shoot jumpers in game anyways wouldnt hurt to just try to fix it in season.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'd love to get MKG for Asik. An Asik, Brewer for MKG, Biyombo trade would suite me fine.

MKG can give us a high upside asset and an immediate perimeter defensive, athletic, rebounding presence off the bench. I think he may be able to play in the back-court with Harden at times and in the front court with Parsons at times. Biyombo can be the backup center, and would be perfect as a high energy presence in the middle when Dwight is sitting.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Possibly, though MKG is essentially only a better version of what T-Rob was last year. He's not quite ready to contribute on a nightly basis right now, so if the Rockets were to trade for him, I would think they'd only do so thinking there's a good chance they'd be able to swap him later on.

Of course, they also could just build a trade with MKG going to a third team right away.
    Say... MKG to the Celtics and Jeff Green to the Bobcats. Asik to Boston. Avery Bradley to Houston. Lin to Charlotte. Sessions to Boston. Bass to Charlotte. Young players (Biyombo/Zeller/Jeff Taylor) and/or picks from BOS/CHA to HOU. Swap Humphries for Gordon in the process to make salaries work.
    You could do a slightly less complicated version if you'd rather keep Lin than trade for Bradley, of course. Bradley could be soooo good here, though.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think its much more likely, if Morey gets involved, that the Rox use him in 3 team discussions to get what they really are going after.

Can't see MKG really helping out the Rockets much in the next couple of years. Sure he can help on the defensive end, but I have a hard time seeing him be a big contributor on the offensive end, and being able to finish games.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This works:

Rockets receive: MKG and Bismack Biyombo
    Bobcats receive: Omer Asik

Just sayin.

14. basketballholic

Bobcats gonna trade 2 lottery picks, including a #2, for Asik. Dream on.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I think a lot of it depends on how highly the Rockets covet MKG. I do not think that he is anything other than a role player at this point based on what I have seen. The "rumor" was that Morey was highly interested in MKG prior to the draft, but that never seemed right to me, we all know that Morey coveted a center and liked Drummond.

MKG is young and under contract, he may have more value than Asik to a team like Boston or other rebuilding teams.

16. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Hmmmm...why in the hell would we trade Lin for Bradley??? It doesn't make our team better...I still think we need a stretch 4...T-Jones is still too young, inconsistent for him to start at our PF, especially if we're trying to make a deep run in the playoffs...how about Asik, Garcia, D-Mo to Knicks for Bargnani and Shumpert

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

T-Rob was a lottery pick and got traded for scraps... (PPatt etc.)

Terrence Williams was a lottery pick and got traded for a lottery protected 1st rounder.

Just cause they're lottery picks now a days doesn't make them untouchables anymore, unless they're players like D-Rose, Griffin, or Anthony Davis.

I could see it happening especially cause we were so high on MKG that draft. Biyombo will just be a backup center filler.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

MKG was debated heavily here last year. As good a guy as he is , he just doesn't have much upside in the NBA. A SF version of Tony Allen is probably his ceiling.

Don't want Biyombo either.

Morey, please stay away from Charlotte.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

MKG goes to Philly. We get Hawes and someone else. Bobcats get Asik.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yeah, I recall being on the opposite side of that line. I think a SF version of Tony Allen would be awesome. It is a shame he wound up in Charlotte. He needs the D-League to improve his offense.