1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the Rockets need to do to become legit contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Back in 2010 the Rockets had a great supporting cast with a solid blue collar identitity with Battier, Scola, Chuck Hayes, etc. and no superstar players.

Now the 2013 Rockets have two superstars, and a poor supporting cast with no positive identity.

Morey will figure it out eventually and hopefully be able to merge the two. Fortunately for the current Rockets the stars are much harder to find than the supporting cast. I expect in 2 years the only players that will still be on the team might be Howard, Harden, and Parsons. Everyone else will be VERY expendable this year and this Summer. There is a good reason why Morey only signed minimum players this Summer. He's not done yet with this roster by any stretch.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Jeff Van Gundy called it when he said the defense was going to be the key. Offense is great. I hear people comment about the offense but they lead the league and are basically unstoppable there. Just because you watched a couple of games were they struggle doesn't mean anything. It is basketball and I could pull up hundreds of games where Kobe, Lebron, MJ had terrible shooting nights.

The turnovers are a cause for concern too. Bad defense with high turnovers = early playoff exit. If that is all they are concerned with, they are in a good place. They are learning to play together and the coach is working through the lineup. TJ looks like he could be the PF they need, a little concern about his motor which after several weeks of starting is beginning to slow down but give it some time.

Also, they should have some extra assets coming from the Asik trade and Brewer should start getting healthy to add defensive intensity. Looks good to me.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They need to grow a sack. Immature team is immature.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

when you look at teams like portland & suns that are playing great with minor additions to their roster no SUPER STAR what is your opinion if morey would’ve done something different this summer, instead of bringing in howard, nothing against him but just thinking about our needs which are a PF and perimeter defense, and a solid 2ND unit.

lin/harden/bev/brooks
    harden/iguodala/garcia
    iguodala/parsons/garcia/casspi
    millsapp/parsons/jones/casspi
    asik/smith/camby

5. dobro1229

Yeah if he would have gone this route, absolutely I think they would be better off to START the season, and would probably be one of the better teams in the West RIGHT NOW.

However, in the playoffs its a whole other story. That team listed, is probably a 2nd round exit at best team when the game slows down. Playoff basketball is still won in the half court, and 9 Gm's out of 10 would have preferred Howard over Iggy/Millsap for this very reason. Give me the superstar talent every day especially if I have a 3 + year window to figure out how to address the supporting cast.

IMO this team hasn't even figured it out yet. They are a team that will probably start peaking after the trade deadline in February going into the playoffs.

Also I think this year the seeding will be slightly overrated cause other than San Antonio & OKC, I really dont see much differentiation between the 3rd best teams to the 10th. of course Portland is playing out of their minds now, but they aren't a team built for the playoffs. The main goal for the Rockets is to avoid the 7th and 8th seed if possible so they dont have to play OKC & SA who I believe will be #1 and #2 in the West.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

cool got you, enjoy your unbiased posts so knew you would be a good person to get an opinion from. I guess we will just have to see what morey does with the trades & if he takes a free agent route also this summer like im projecting

7. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I think the GARM will be a much happier if we gave up this notion of being contenders the way this team is coached and constructed. We're a middling team that has overachieved the last year and half. That's enough to enjoy.

You won't see many posts on progressing deep into the playoffs over in the Cleveland forum.

8. dobro1229

Thanks. Its important to know that Morey has said many times that free agency is about the worst way to build a team, and prefers trades so its really not shocking that other than Harden, Howard, and Parsons, the roster still looked like a rebuilding roster (min contracts, rookies with upside, etc.) going into the season.

The thing that I believe Morey will try to take advantage of is teams position preparing to go into the lottery for a deep draft. I think he's going to be very, very active both this Feb deadline and on draft night. Lots of really good players are going to get moved and the Rockets need to be prepared to pounce. That's why getting picks & contractual assets (expiring s or high value contracts) is seeming to take precedent over getting the best players right now that might be on long term deals (AKA Thad Young, Jeff Green etc.).

December is about the worst time to trade for really good players. Just look at the Orlando Magic trade a few years back with Phoenix for reference. The February deadline and Draft night are the best trade days of the year for good players.

9. pippsux

pippsux Member

When a contender loses to bad teams but beats the good or better teams, I believe that's coaching and leadership. I never liked the assembly of coaches assembled by Morey from day 1, but wins mask a lot.
    I love Harden but his next level of superstardom is leadership. He needs to be DA MAN and everybody else fall in line or go home.

I am happy about the fact that Asik is being traded that bum should be able to get us a veteran like Milssap to help this team take the next level.

Right now we are a 5th or 6th seed, not good enough.

10. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I couldn't believe you come up with this question. According to most fans here, Rockets are contenders every year. So we just need some time to build the team chemistry, what I mean is spending more time in stripper clubs leading by JH and DH.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

a little more experience together and more toughness. Deng.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hire Jeff Van Gundy.

DD

13. bws

bws Member

He has a lot of growing to do before that happens. Your best player is not necessarily your best leader and I think Parsons, Lin, Beverley and Howard show better leadership than Harden does.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Wtf ?harden had 20 points on 7-12 shooting in 20 minutes and scored the first five points of the third quarter before he busted his ankle and this loss was on him? Are you kidding me?

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

What about Thibs?

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Continuity.

Once we've settle in from injuries, the twin towers experiment, death in the family, and a looming trade, we should be fine.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

They need a lot of things to reach their full potential like stable leadership, a wing defender, some toughness but what they really need to condend is a second scoring playmaker.

18. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Kevin McHale, stop posting please.

19. monk92

monk92 Member

I don't understand some of you guys at all sometimes. We lose a few games on the road and suddenly the sky is falling and we need to trade everyone. Dwight is the only starter that has played in every game so far, we've been riddled with injuries and the Asik situation has been a huge distraction. Not to mention, our coach has missed the last few games.

We need a perimeter defender/bench scorer and a back up center. An upgrade at PF would be nice, but Jones can play that role. If we are healthy and don't turn the ball over we can beat anyone in the league. In a 7 game series at full strength I'd pick us over any team that's not OKC or San Antonio. And even those would be close in my opinion.

While we have some issues we are still a contender, and it makes me sick to see people pining for the days when we had Chuck Hayes and Kyle Lowry and won 43 games a year. I think this team is better than any Yao and T-mac team (including 2009) and our record at the end of the year will prove that I am right.

20. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

The mental toughness to not play down to weaker teams...