1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A song that takes you back to a specific day?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Irrespective of how cheesy it may sound, a particular song transports you back to a certain time and place many years ago. You recall the day vividly. What day is it, and what song?

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Zw1X3HW50Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hearing this, I'm a kid again. I'm standing in Marshall Field's at the Houston Galleria because my mother dragged me along. Behind the makeup counter is her favorite sales associate. Although I'm young and have met her many times before, the girl seems very attractive to me now. She looks like a dead ringer for Mia Sara, but with mall bangs and a perm. She tousles my hair and hugs me before helping my mother pick stuff out.

I couldn't stop thinking about her all day. Sadly, she would die in a car crash on 290 a few years later. Though most people hated this song, I hear it and go back to that day every time. It was a happy day for me, and I like to think for her too since she smiled a lot. Rockets would beat the Sonics in a few hours to keep their playoffs dream alive so there was that too.

Good song. What's yours?

1 person likes this.
  2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, The Bangles Eternal Flame. I had broken up with a girlfriend and the song came on as I was passing the Summit. I proceeded to drive circles around the Summit (Edloe, Richmond, etc.) while I played the song over and over again, about 10 times. Very strange now that I think about it. So, when I pass by Mr. Osteen's church these days, I think two things: Championships and Suzanna Hoffs.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps- Albuquerque, NM. Just liked that CD so much that I kept playing it over and over while I was in Albuquerque about 2 years ago.

Love's Forever Changes reminds me of Westheimer.

Galveston- Cheap Trick's At Budokan

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fear Factory's album Transgression takes me back to my freshman year in college, which was awesome, crappy, and bizarre all at once. If I had to choose a single song, it'd be 540,000° Fahrenheit.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fC_q9KPczAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. joepu

joepu Member

Whoa that was the song that came to my mind too. It was a hit the year I graduated from HS. I was very depressed at that time but there were also some good days spent with my friends before we went our separate ways. The song came over the air while we were having lunch and it just fit my mood perfectly. I still remember the taste of the spaghetti I was eating.

7. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Was gonna start a new thread for the ? but I'm trying to find a song / video ..

ok all I remember is the video was really cheesy and had like these kung fu cowboys fighting aliens that looked like old school cylons ? please help

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HUMh8GQnDW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Smiths- How Soon Is Now

Beautiful fall Saturday, 1985
    Driving around with my best high school friends, Sheri and Lisa, in Sheri's Volvo, cassette playing, j blazing
    Never forget that day

1 person likes this.
  10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This takes me back, and hilariously enough it is a song that me and my friends bust out randomly with when drunk.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0hiUuL5uTKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m60XKqEEnfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lost my virginity to this song... Now every time I hear it it gets me thinking about that magical evening

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sometimes I listen to this when I'm alone at night. Warm up before my intense fap sessions.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fV8vB1BB2qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. what

what Member

Wasted days and wasted nights. It reminds me of my childhood in the 70s. Freddie Fender is the man.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-Qu8RPvhP-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oxHnRfhDmrk?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oxHnRfhDmrk?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Always reminds me of the most intimate, and longest lasting friendship I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in my life... which blossomed into a sadly, tragically short-lived romantic relationship...

It makes me recall that time so vividly, because I was first introduced to this song by that special young lady... apparently, the song reminded her of me - which is the most earnest, heartfelt and incredibly humbling (which is a rare feeling for me) compliment I've ever been given... It was an amazing time... but, that was over 12 years ago...

And, this was the man, composer and pianist that first helped us connect - she actually performed this piece for me once:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/vJpAIOFN5WQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/vJpAIOFN5WQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Imagine by John Lennon. Every time I hear that song, I remember the night of his death, sitting in a dorm room with some buddies; watching Monday Night Football and hearing the news from Cosell. That song played around the clock for the next few days.

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

"Who says I should let a wild one go free?", love that line.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The Paula Cole Dawson's Creek song, the Celine Dion Titanic song, and Sex and Candy all remind of Freshman and Sophomore year at U of H. Ad nauseum at Oberholtzer and Towers. Also some "Wanna be a Player" rap with a piano hook that the Teach for America kids really liked, they were at U of H summer after Freshman year and played that all the time. Also, I was writing some history paper at Social Work and had watched the '85 Bears NFL Films special earlier that day, so I tracked down the "Bear Down" song online and hummed it in my head the whole next day. So I hear that song and think about Thomas Edison and Dr. Melosi.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

American Pie from Third Form fall at Groton. I'd never heard it before and the other kids just played the hell out of it.