1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hard to root for Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nextup, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Is Harden hard to root for

1. yes

31.3%
  2. no

68.7%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its the same guy I've watched play like he doesn't give a damn on defense on several nights. Why do you keep glossing over this like it doesn't matter? I expect certain basic things out of the supposed leader of my team.

Harden accepting a 6th man role two years ago before he got his max contract is, frankly, irrelevant to what's happening this year. Harden can change my mind by playing consistently like he cares on defense. Until he does that, I'm going to question his commitment to the team because he's long ago crossed the threshold of "WTF?" moments on defense.

Is this line, which you've now repeated twice, supposed to sound intimidating or something? Are you attempting, clumsily, to "put me in my place"? It sort of falls flat, given the conversation at hand has nothing to do with stats and stats aren't even being brought up. But if it makes you feel big, whatever.

2. VBG

VBG Member

Harden's flopping and lack of defense annoy me. If he wasn't a Rocket he would be my most despised star in the league. I hated him in OKC. I just don't find the way he play basketball that appealing. I hate it when dominant players constantly flop. Harden also drives for contact and free throws rather than to make the shot.

However, he's so damn efficient and he helps the Rockets win so I will root for him to succeed.

In the end I root for a jersey over everything and Harden is wearing the right jersey. But when it isn't going right it can get quite frustrating because it seems like he barely even cares.

3. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I don't care about you saying he has a lack of commitment. the rockets are a better team with him, they were his year. he has had to adjust to being the lead player and he's done that by being one of the most efficient scorers in history.

he gives his body up by constantly putting pressure on the defense by driving to the lane unlike the last so called star we had who settled for jumpshots.

the rockets are the one of the best teams in their conference while he has had to adjust to another major player joining the team. how many starting lineups have they had.

pull your head out of your stats or go root for shane battier

4. eslate22

eslate22 Member

c'mon guys... they go to the roxy

5. eslate22

eslate22 Member

Mr. Perfect was apart of NWO? I didnt remember that one? I guess I was too busy watching WWF.... One of my best teen memories was watching austin v. rock at wrestlemania in the dome.... ****ing vince mcmahon took a chair to the rock's back to help stone cold win the title... what a great fight

6. durvasa

None of this is new to me. I've probably spent more time on here defending Harden than you have, unless you had a prior account.

But just because I recognize the good things he brings to the team, that doesn't mean I'll ignore the parts which aren't close to acceptable. I don't expect him to be a perfect player, but there is a basic level of effort and focus I'm expecting on the defensive end and he frequently fails to reach it.

Too often Harden's defensive nonchalance turns him into an actual liability, which should never happen for a guy who's so good on offense. I simply want him to be better, because if we're to compete for a championship he needs to be better.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

we've seen harden play pretty good defense
    he simply needs to be consistent at it

we've seen harden play smart and efficient defense
    he simply needs to be consistent at it

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

okay, I apologize for being a jerk. the guy expends an incredible amount of energy on offense. LeBron is overrated on his defense as well as kobe because in the playoffs they take situational assignments when an opposing player needs attention. they are not like hakeem. hakeem and to a lessor extent Jordan or the only superstars I've ever seen go all out on defense every play as well as carrying a heavy offensive load.

a guy like tim Duncan plays center and therefore he may draw 10 matchups that really require his attention. playing guard on defensive takes much more of a toll on a night to night basis. couple that with the constantly changing dynamics of the roster the last two years its hard enough adjusting offensively to his teammates.

9. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

man this deserves tons of rep

10. durvasa

Consistency is the hard part. Lots of players are capable of being good defenders in spurts (Carmelo Anthony springs to mind). Good defensive teams rely on consistent defensive players, not sporadic defensive effort.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This. I'd rather have James Harden play consistent good D every game rather than great D one game and below average another. Harden being an average to above average defender on a nightly basis takes this team that much closer to a championship.

Case in point. If he played average D against Jazz and Suns, we'd have most likely won those games. I think he played good D against GSW in a blowout but even slightly above average D against GSW and we still win that game.

12. Blast_Off

Blast_Off Member

Bad examples for your point.

1. The Suns only scored 97 points, and the Rockets shot 35% from the field as a team and had 22 turnovers. James Harden going from bad to average D in that game does not change the outcome. Harden's individual shooting and turnovers were more to blame for the loss than his D.

2. Jazz game = Hard to see how Harden playing better D in that game would affect Burks and Burke shooting the lights out against our point guard defenders. Meanwhile, Harden's offensive game that night was great, aside from a really bad turnover in the last two minutes. Harping on him for the turnover makes more sense if you want to blame him for the loss.

3. How good was the Rockets' D when Harden was out? Just as bad without him, right? Same kinds of problems with perimeter players, right?

[I totally agree that he needs to figure out how to consistently compete on the defensive end, and it's frustrating to watch when he doesn't, but people are going a little overboard with it.]

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Why would anyone root Harden? I don't even see a point in jailbreaking my Harden, let alone rooting it. I'm fine with the stock firmware and OS, you android fanboys and your need to root everything, you'd root a toaster if you could.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is nothing wrong with asking for more consistency and effort on the defensive end from Harden.

Just like how there is nothing wrong with asking X player to improve on X aspect for whatever reason.

Certain individuals just need to cut down on crying racist whenever there is any form of scrutiny or constructive criticism.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Well what is it you want...??? To trade him for Tony Allen...? He plays good consistent defense all the time... I'm sure Memphis will go for it if Morey begs them...Lol..

Why don't you wait to see how the year turns out before you condemn him...

16. Remii

Remii Member

Many believe Harden's defense is the reason the Rockets lose every game... They believe all 97 points that the Suns scored was by Harden's man. They would have been undefeated and the number one seed in the west last year if it wasn't for Harden's lack of defense.

17. BonziWellsGOAT

[​IMG] How I feel when I see the LOFs come out of the woodwork

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if you're going to blame him exclusively for games we lose, then you have to credit him exclusively for games we won

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wonder how often Harden is playing bad defense as opposed to average. It seems to me his defense is average/par but then 2-4 times a game he completely loses focus and does something absolutely ridiculous defensively... And so it looks pretty bad.

Also, Lebron is not overrated as a defender.

20. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

You and your dress up buddies can go sniff Harden's jock strap. When you learn a bit about basketball then and only then should you address me.