1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sixers a "viable destination" for Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

If I was a betting man, I would put higher odds that a deal with Philly will be done.

We shall seen in a few days.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I like the trade! McHale basically said on draft night they would have drafted T Ross if he was available BUT I don't think Morey does it for a Top 10 protected, maybe Top 3. Also, he would want another piece outside of T Ross

3. stjoesephsborn

Considering Toronto just traded Gay and are reportedly looking to trade Lowry, I doubt they give up a 1st round pick in any shape or form for the next 2-3 seasons. Also, since it looks like they plan on rebuilding I doubt they give up a young prospect like Ross.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

r

They were interested in Asik but since the R. Gay trade, I don't know at this point. I think it's going to be Philly. Asik for E. Turner and N.O 2014 #1

5. stjoesephsborn

No way Philly gives up any 1st round pick. They're rebuilding as well so they want picks/assets in any trade unless trading their picks lands them a superstar/future franchise player.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

When has Toronto not had a rebuilding year? Weren't they "rebuilding" with Lowry two years ago?

I'm not sure if or why they would want Asik. Maybe they see Asik as a tutor for Valancuinus, or maybe Valancuinus as a PF. No idea.

IMO, a proven top 10 center is worth an unproven 2012 #8 pick and a future top 10 protected 1st. Asik would instantly be the best player on their team.

7. stjoesephsborn

That was when they had Bryan Colangelo as their GM. I don't think anyone knew what he was trying to do with that team. This year they hired Masai Ujiri, the 2013 executive of the year.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I could see them trading Hawes for Asik. But why oh why would they throw in Noel? Noel is a massive part of their future plans... They'd be bringing in Asik to tutor him for a season, to show him how a big man protects the paint and the rim.

re: Hawes. He's putting up nice numbers in a high possession 76'ers offense. But he's not a star player, and Hinkie would know that as well as anyone.

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Get Amir Johnson along with a 1st round pick and eventually flip him come Feb 20th

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

like Stein said, there is no center in this coming draft that is like Asik.

11. stjoesephsborn

They already have their center of the future though in Nerlens Noel so it doesn't make sense for them to trade a 1st round pick for Asik.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Noel is like 210 lbs. Is he really a center? Besides, I think Hinkie is smart enough to know that Noel is just a bet-- like any other draftee-- and there is a decent chance that he won't work out. If you can get your hands on a talent center for the right price, I don't think you let the fact that you drafted Noel stop you from doing it. Think about all the other guys drafted early this year-- Bennett, Zeller, Len, etc. Do you really think any of their teams would be wise to not get a guy playing the same position as they do just because they are on the roster?

#172 Carl Herrera, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The Hink Dog might value Noel more for his value as an asset then him as a player.

I want Evan Turner and the right to swap our first rounder with the crappier of their two first round picks. That probably puts us picking in the 10-12 range.

I like Garcia but I would rather his minutes go to a better player. Turner can also help to lighten the load on the rest of the rotation.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Noel will slide to the 4 which is what he should be anyway...at just barely over 200lbs, he will be bullied at center w/o a doubt.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Philly has New Orleans 1st round pick as well... Asik is worth that and then some. Asik was the 2nd best player on a playoff team in the west. He'll dominate in the east and can be a corner stone defensive player for a team. MCW, Asik, and Young with Noel (if he's not a bust) and their first round pick in the draft (I think they have several picks in this draft) is a good start.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I whole hearted agree. Garcia isnt the answer. Turner can also lighten Harden's minutes allowing him to be fresh for the playoffs.

17. stjoesephsborn

He's a center, at least for the foreseeable future. He's a rim protecting, shot blocking, rebounding center with limited offensive game similar to Asik.

Noel was set to be the first pick of last year's draft before his injury. He won't trade a 1st round pick for 27 year old Asik on a 2 year contract before Noel has even stepped on the court. Like Morey, Hinkie places a high value on picks so I don't see him packaging a first round pick with any of the players speculated to be traded (Turner, Young, or Hawes) seeing as his main concern is to rebuild the team.

I see Philly being involved in a three team trade with Asik going elsewhere more than I see them directly acquiring him. Either that or they turn around and trade Asik later for more assets if they do trade for him directly. Regardless, I don't see Philly giving up any of their 1st round picks with a trade involving Asik.

1 person likes this.
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

The more I think about it, the more Philly makes sense.

1. The Noel situation doesn't really matter. He's sitting out this year and he's not going to start right away as a rookie next year either. He'll play his 20mpg off the bench while Asik starts.

2. Defensive rim protectors are useful just in terms of having a balanced team. If Philly cares for player development, then giving Brett Brown a rim protector allow him to put together a proper defense.

3. Asik is easily flippable. Just wait til next year's trade deadline, and Asik's effective salary for the rest of the year will be ~$7mil. Then if Philly add a bit of cash and it's no longer something cheap owners would be against.

That said, no way they give the Rockets ANY picks. It will be some combination of Hawes, Turner, Young, and salary filers.

19. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Asik + NY 2nd Rounder for N.O 1st rounder and TE (or Hawes, or Turner if it can be wrangled).

20. stjoesephsborn

I could see Asik going to Philly, but like you said Houston won't be getting any picks in return. For me, I think Boston actually makes more sense since they could send something like C.Lee + Hump/Bass + Atlanta's 1st rounder which will likely be a later 1st, and Boston does need a center. OKC would also make a lot of sense but I can't imagine Morey would want to help them out in any way.