1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin out 2 weeks with grade one knee sprain (UPDATE: Will return vs. Portland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Scoring title is a pure objective metric. Dpoy and MVP are based on subjective analysis.

The existence of a scoring title still does not explain the fact that no player has or ever will win the MVP award based only on defensive impact while players have in the past and will in the future win MVPs based purely on offensive performance.

2. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

The award is named after Bill Russell if you want to look far back. Nash is an exception, as most mvps are all around players. Lebron certainly is one of the best defenders in the league and Tim Duncan won in large part due to his defense.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Hypothetically if the Rockets have one of the top 3 records in the league by season's end, and Harden is a top 5 scorers in the league, do you think he would be in the running for MVP?

Players can win MVPs based purely on offensive production. It would be almost unthinkable for the award to go to someone based purely on defensive production. Dirk and Rose are other recent examples.

#523 fchowd0311, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. Calamity.12

Calamity.12 Member

You know what, you're right. Players can win on offense alone, even if it is not the majority of cases. It doesn't really work for defense alone players.

5. ipuff

ipuff Member

Because defense is more of a team production.

6. meh

meh Member

If you're moving the goal post from "one of the best defenders of all time" to the above bolded quote, then I would not disagree. I still don't think he's the best, but yes you can make a case for it.

Ben Wallace also got a $15mil/yr as a FA back when the salary cap was lower. So he was paid more than Harden is right now relative to the ap. Which brings back to my point that defensive players are paid... assuming they're worth it.

And no, Tony Allen or Bruce Bowen or Shane Battier or any perimeter defender since the 90s are anywhere close on defense as Harden is on offense.

7. meh

meh Member

Ah, I see where the misunderstanding comes in. I thought you meant valued by teams, not the media.

Yes, the media overvalues offense over defense. This I definitely agree with.

8. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

A good defense in itself is the best defense.

9. Lihao

Lihao Member

First i'm not arguing with you that Allen is at the same tier of impact as of Harden, i'm just saying you're using bad stats to downplay Allen impact. Second you make the same mistake again comparing overall PER of opponents SG .
    Don't forget, Allen is guarding opponents best perimeter player while Harden not. It doesn't mean they're guarding opponents SG always.

10. Little General

could someone post this article from ESPN insider?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=19052

11. bws

bws Member

of course this player was off a lot longer than Lin is but here is the boxscore

28 minutes: 2-9 FG 0-3 3 pt., 5-7 FT, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 8 turnovers for 9 points. It was Kobe.

Lin will probably have a so-so game when he's back in and work his way back to shape and we don't know how long that'll take. He may not be able to do more than 27 minutes for the first few games back.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

[rquoter]Point guard Jeremy Lin has been sidelined since Nov. 27 due to a sprained/bruised right knee and he is on schedule to return to the Houston Rockets during his two-week timeline.

“He seems to be running," head coach Kevin McHale tells the Houston Chronicle. "He ran pretty hard today before our little walk-through. He’s still good for Thursday."

Whenever Lin returns, he will be the back up behind starter Patrick Beverley.

In other injury news, McHale said backup centers Omer Asik and Greg Smith may be able to play by Friday against Golden State or Sunday at Sacramento.[/rquoter]

14. Little General

Thank you.

15. kmart9419

kmart9419 Member

Bev worst starting point guard in league and clutchfans going bonkers over him. Go figure.

16. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Jeremy Lin is going to be traded. we need to make sure he is healthy and don't risk anymore injuries.

Bev is doing what he is paid to do. His PER is horrible but he is solely there to help cover up Harden's D and stay out of his way in O. If that is truely the direction of this team than Jeremy is the odd man out.

17. trock

trock Member

He's a good backup, but yeah, I don't get it. Kinda reminds me of the fascination with Toney Douglas....

18. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

The obsession with Bev is truly the desire to see Lin fail. There will be no love for Bev once Lin is traded. Just go ask any of those so called Douglas's fanboys how he's doing, and not a one can tell you if he's even alive.

1 person likes this.
  19. ZNB

ZNB Member

Bev's job is not to score, what dont you ppl understand about that? He is there for D and to hit the occasional open 3. Lin is 100x better on offense, but we dont need more offense in the starting lineup, and we definitely need more O from our bench. Its a perfect situation. Now if Bev stops playing good defense and goes on an extended shooting slump then I'm all for putting Lin back in the starting lineup. Lin is definitely a starting caliber PG. It just makes more sense given our current roster to have him be the main ball handler coming off of the bench.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

It will be great to have Jeremy back by the time we face the Blazers. I still don't have faith that this is anything more than sky high confidence building off momentum from an easy schedule and really good fortune in terms of making threes. We have a good opportunity here to 1.) put them back in their place, and 2.) build up a kind of intimidation factor where they know that of all the teams in the West, we will have their number. Kinda like how LAC currently has with us now. We look at Chris Paul, he flops and goes to the free throw line, and then we're like, "Geez not this again."