1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Minimum Wage Is Too Damn Low

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree 100%. WW2 is a sensitive subject. I know we all feel like it was a noble war, but the fact is the US capitalized on it while the rest of the world was destroyed. Its a shame we have squandered away this misfortune.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Says who? Please provide some documentation of the history and early debates concerning the minimum wage for instance.

The minimum wage was meant to put a floor under all wages and support the understandaby American idea that if you work full-time it should allow you to support yourself at least at a basic level.

I am pretty sure the whole high schooler thing is a myth like much conservative prevailing "facts" regarding the economy and particularly anything aspect that would stop the redistribution of wealth upward. Like all good spin it has at least a reasonably alleged kernel or truth. Many folks who start at minimum wage manage through training or on the job connections to make more as they see other opportunities.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A lot of people who think that are looking through the lens of their life experience. It is human nature to do this, so I don't think to harshly about it. However, sometimes that lens is like looking in the mirror at the funhouse. The image is distorted.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, you are painting with a VERY broad brush, as you admitted.

It isn't about "careers" that make minimum wage, it is about adjusting the wage scale in the country upwards. When you raise the minimum wage, in order for other businesses to take better employees from minimum wage jobs, they have to raise their pay too. It only affects things at the lower end of the pay scale, but there are a great many jobs where raises are given when the minimum wage goes up, even if those jobs are already substantially above the minimum.

Businesses are there to make money, which is the entire reason a minimum wage is necessary in the first place. They will choose to pay absolutely as little as they can get away with, it is what they do, even if that wage is exploitative. Sadly, it is necessary for the government to get involved to make sure that businesses don't exploit workers, you know, the reason we have child labor laws, the 40 hour work week, overtime rules, and safety regulation. In the absence of government intervention, none of those things would exist, to the detriment of the country and to We, the People.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Who will pay for this proposed increase in minimum wage?

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5KSBosUa_xo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Exactly that's when it started and we are still adjusting. We still talk like there are jobs out there to support families that only require a his education. Its already been addressed in this thread. The population is more educated than ever but jobs are disappearing.

8. glynch

I agree a lot of these conclusions are based on experience to a certain extent, but media shapes how we interpret our experience.

I think that there was a time when many more adults who are available to work full-time could demand jobs that paid more than minimum. Employers who paid only the minimum had to be contented with teenagers or students.

A lot of this depends on the overall economy in a region. I'm sure some of you have had the sort of shock of noticing that in some depressed rural areas you will see grown, healthy looking men with decent social skills of about 40 working in a fastfood restaurant who aren't the manager. This is relatively rare in Houston for instance.

9. glynch

Employers, of course.

bigtexxx, maybe you have contemplated the economic idea that the whole economy is not comprised of struggling mom and pop businesses.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What was that video supposed to prove? There didn't seem to be a point, and certainly not a point that would discredit the fast food strikers.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Seems like employers would opt for the cheapest solution....even if that means laying off a bunch of "minimum" wage employees and utilizing self-service kiosks.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

[​IMG]

The United States makes plenty of stuff. We just use fewer humans to do it.

13. Commodore

you hardly ever see it anymore, but it's possible to do journalism without the objective of proving anything, just documenting an event

14. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

we have efficiencied ourselves out of jobs. the American worker has become so efficient there are not enough jobs

15. Commodore

Your mistake is attributing increased productivity to the worker, rather than technology.

Look around you, do you think workers are getting more capable?

16. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

who builds machines, who repairs machines, who operates machines.

no I don't share your cynicism of my fellow man who contrary to popular belief is more educated than ever

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't mind that kind of journalism at all. I was just curious about the relevance to the thread. If it wasn't making a point or backing up a point of view, I didn't understand the purpose.

I don't mind it. My own suppositions just got in the way of understanding I guess.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Surely you know there's more to the story than that...

19. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

are you implying consumers? i think if you look at an income statement of a typical fast food restaurant, salaries aren't that big of an expense item. a 50% increase in salary expense doesn't not equate to a 50% increase in burger prices.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You might think this if you use "common sense" (Fox code for "listen to us, not the facts"), but if you look at the data instead, you will find that increasing the monimum wage does not lead to higher unemployment numbers.