1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheDr34m, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

I just wanted to thank and give my appreciation to Case for making these games exciting after such an abysmal start.

Also...

* For throwing the ball past 20 yards
    * For not throwing a Pick 6.
    * For throwing the ball to Andre Johnson in the endzone.
    * For repping the 3rd Ward UH Cougars on Sunday Night Football.

and

* For sacrificing your career by losing every single game to put your favorite city of Houston in prime position for #1 draft pick as only a true UH Alum would.

Thank you!

#1 TheDr34m, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hope he ends up elsewhere; he has no chance here. I still see enormous potential in him. The skills he needs can be acquired with practice. I think with a hurry up and the right sets and schemes he would succeed. I honestly believe that Kubiak was ordered to start him.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He did make the games more entertaining....not exciting though.

Enjoyed the NE game....not so much the Jag game before it.....etc.

IF this team only had a capable QB....so many of the losses were so close....

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Can't say he didn't get a fair shake. 6+ games for a UDFA. The kid didn't show enough. Glad he got a chance.

He definitely could be a backup though.

5. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Keenum has definitely shown enough to have a very solid career as a pretty good backup in this league. He's exceeded expectations for sure. It's asking too much of him to be a starter who can lead teams deep in the playoffs though. I think he can still be a full time starter in this league for a mediocre team but him as a starter won't take you to the promised land. He definitely won't be a disastrous QB though like some of the QB's in this league. He's better than a lot of QB's that were drafted high like Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, etc.

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Case knows how to lose and for that. I say "Thank You."

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Next year, when/if Keenum is the starting QB. You all will be so sad. I hope the guy can succeed, but its blinding alot of fans. The guy isn't top 10. Not even top 20 and in this league you need a great coach/qb.

8. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

Hometown guy, hard not to cheer for him. But I agree with you, not sure if he's going to develop into anything more than a decent/average QB. Hope I'm wrong. Personally, I'd rather have Clowney over Bridgewater anyways, so maybe an extra year for him won't be so bad.

9. Poloshirtbandit

One of the last Oiler games I went to (the Jets game where Ryan punched Gilbride) people were chanting all game for Bucky Richardson to play. I think he ended up doing a couple handoffs then went back to the bench.

I never thought Keenum would get a chance to get a snap during a regular season game so I'm at least happy he got a shot. If his NFL career doesn't work out he's got a great mind to be an OC or maybe even coach.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He'll be our backup next season, and if the Texans draft Bridgewater or Maziel I think they'll both get injured at some point next year.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Okay forgive my ignorance but I've only ever followed the NFL i guess on a very superficial level. Is it commonplace for people to pigeon hole players situations like with Keenum? As in just give up on him in the infancy of his career and say he's a career backup QB? or are there glaring deficiencies in his game that no amount of coaching developement could overcome?

Also thoughts on Manziel?

12. TheDr34m

In the NFL you have a very small window of games to prove yourself in any facet of the game. (Only 16 in a season) QB, RB, Coaching and Management.

Keenum was given 7 straight starts. To slowly evolve and progress in picking up on blitzes to read and understand different defensive formations pre and post snap. We lost every single game. He has a great arm and can throw the ball down field and has pretty good leadership intangibles.

Unfortunately he seems to be stuck in his college football knowledge because he didn't improve at all throughout those 7 games.

Lets put it this way if he was a first round draft pick (teams would probably wait out 2 to 3 bad seasons maximum) (i.e. Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder)

Undrafted free agent which Keenum is (they will not wait a full season to quickly replace him)

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Let Keenum start next year so we can draft Jameis Winston 2015. If Keenum nets us Clowney and Winston back to back years then that man deserves the key to the city.

1 person likes this.
  14. TheDr34m

hahahahahaah repped!

15. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

He's got two weaknesses that he won't be able to overcome: undersized and below average arm strength (he can throw a decent ball down the field, but it tends to float -- you don't see those frozen ropes). His arm strength has improved greatly since his college days (working on throwing mechanics and core strength has helped immensely), but it's still average at best.

Personally, I don't like Manziel. Not saying he can't succeed in the NFL (he's got many physical tools that work in his favor), but I'm not liking his playing style -- mainly his recklessness with the ball and poor decision-making (also don't see him staying healthy if he keeps his current play style). But that's just me.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't know what you were watching but he did not make games exciting unless you are riveted by punters.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Hilarious, I'd take Mariota first though.

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

Case could have actually won most of those games if the damn defense was halfway decent. They have scored enough points more often than not in my opinion. That said, he has been a failure in the 4th for all the good he has done at other points of the game.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you could say the same thing with Schaub, that he scored enough points, but the defense couldnt stop other teams, also that he played well during the first 3 quarters, but he failed during the 4th.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I do have a legit question. If we deem the coaching staff to be incompetent, and include the learning curve that a young QB takes to adjust to NFL level pressure, can we completely say that Keenum doesn't have the "it factor."

I love his fiery personality and his competitiveness, but he has been terrible at shifting protections/schemes and finding his hot route in time on blitzing downs. That being said, all that work that was put in teaching a kid like Keenum to be successful...has it been counterproductive considering who we had to teach him??? We all agree that this coaching staff top to bottom has to be cleared out. If that is the "case", is Keenum just freelancing out there? how does he adjust from this point forward, knowing that everything that he learned from the offensive guru was just garbage???

Albeit against mediocre competition, Keenum thrived under a spread formation offense. I can't fully be dismissive of someone that was that successful, without putting some elements of that and seeing his success. Perhaps Rick Denison should for these next few games incorporate more of a spread offense and see if he can isolate match ups. The more and more we try to cookie cut certain QB's the more likely they are to fail. But why cant we try something that he spent 5-6 years perfecting?