1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warren: "I'm not running for president in 2016"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 4, 2013.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What a hoot. The righties are starting to panic.

Benghazi or faux scandals are all they have now that their trickle down scam and some of their hate stuff like gays and racism is starting to not work so well.

Wait till the southern base tastes them some health insurance for the first time.

Hillary is coming for the Republican S. Ct.

Having schandenfreude already.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and they both used steroids.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Well, I believe the '10s are gonna have to be different. I think that people are going to stop thinking about themselves, and start thinking about me, Al Franken.

That's right. I believe we're entering what I like to call the Al Franken Decade. Oh, for me, Al Franken, the '20s will be pretty much the same as the '10s. I'll still be thinking of me, Al Franken. But for you, you'll be thinking more about how things affect me, Al Franken.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dubious

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think Warren or Clinton will win a general election. Which, I suppose, puts the Democratic Party in a bad place.

6. Major

Major Member

Warren, I agree. Clinton is different though. I think she'd be a favorite against every current GOP contender except Christie. I would make Christie the favorite right now in a general election, but I'm not convinced he can come out of a primary.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why? If Romney could, why not Christie? Do you have someone in mind who would beat him? Certainly not Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio I hope.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the election were held this week I don't think Christie could beat Clinton. 2016 is a long way off and as I said earlier 4 years is an eternity in politics.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't underestimate the animosity that the base has for Christie after he put partisanship aside and worked with President Obama in the aftermath of Sandy.

10. glynch

Run, Bernie, Run!!! PLEASE

Oh, no, I can hear Major and Judoka now. Bernie doesn't have a chance. Be reasonable. Don't run.

Hey, it doesn't hurt for the Dem primary to be a bit educational about the whole world of reasonable possibilities to make life better for virtually all Americans , rather than just a couple of centrists rarely straying from the views of the mainstream media, trying to carefully say very little contoversial so that nobody can attack them.

11. Dubious

I assume Bernie would run as an Independent.

12. glynch

Yeah, maybe so. It is hard for me to see him as not being in the Democratic Party. He should run as a Democrat so he can be in the debates and provide some education for the debate spectacle.

If he runs as a independent it could be a disaster ala the electoral politics idiot Ralph Nader who caused us to have the ignorant Dubya with his couple trillion wasted in Iraq and his additional couple trillion of tax breaks largely for the 1%.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't underestimate the animosity the base had for Romney as evidenced by him taking so long to defeat the Freak Show nutcases. But he still won. Christie is in a much stronger position and is clearly a better candidate (IMO). Despite their constant frothing at the mouth, far right Republicans will lose again to moderation.

14. Major

Major Member

I don't believe Romney would have come out of the primary if there hadn't been so many different "other" candidates other there. He got lucky that the 65% of that party that didn't like him self-destructed by splitting all their votes and being unable to stick with one candidate.

Christie will be in the same boat. Too much of the primary-voting portion of the party dislikes him. I think the alternatives, while not great, are a definite step up from Herman Cain, Perry, Rick Santorum, Newt, etc. I think Paul has the best chance there - he has found a way to speak to the crazies without alienating normal GOPers. But others could still emerge.

So in my opinion, Christie needs help in the primaries. His brand is being independent on not toeing the party line - that's exactly what the primary voters hate (note how Perry's support collapsed the minute he made his immigration comments). If he navigates his way through that, I think he has an excellent shot at the Presidency, assuming he doesn't have to ditch his brand to make it that far.

15. Major

Major Member

I don't care if he runs - I don't mind multiple voices in a primary. But he certainly has no chance to win anything.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clinton has a guaranteed war chest. Unless other candidates tap into Obama's campaign funding juggernaut skills, they'll be edged out before NH

17. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I expect we'll see a lot of this image in the Republican primary[​IMG]

I think Christie would be a respectable president, but he doesn't have a lot of appeal to the tinfoil hat crowd that now rules the roost in the Republican Party.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bernie Sanders can do whatever he wants but if you actually believe he has a chance then I have some Texans Superbowl tickets to sell you.

19. glynch

I agree. What is troubling is that Christie most reminds me of the folksy Dubya who pretended to be a moderate while being effectively a hard core right winger.
    Aside from a hug for Obama and intelligently not refusing federal money to rebuild after the hurricane, look at his record.

20. glynch

;)

Whether he can win is not my point as to why Bernie should run. The presidential election should be more than just the horse race, the two or three centrist points the pundits and handlers will try to make the whole election about or the daily "gotcha" and spin. With the couple billion spent and all the media exposure it is a good time to expose the increasingly economically distressed majority to some more progressive or for want of a better word social democratic ideas beyond that of the corporate media that would help them.

BTW Major and Judoka, would you want Bernie to win?