1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[A Football Life] The '93 Oilers airs Dec. 10

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

NFL Network will air A Football Life about the 1993 Oilers on Tuesday, December 10 at 8:00pm. Re-live the fight between Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride. Watch Joe Montana win his last playoff game. :mad:

Not sure why I want to put myself through that again but I will tune in the show.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You are one masochistic person. lol.

3. Poloshirtbandit

Up until the game vs. Jacksonville a couple weeks ago, that was the last NFL game I had been to. Maybe one of my favorite Oiler teams ever (I'm too young to remember Earl Campbell). Gary Brown was pretty awesome to watch.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I agree. :eek:

WTF, man?
    Why not show the video of when my girlfriend told me we couldn't stay together even because she was going away to college and I said "I'll go with you" and she still said no?
    Why not watch two full hours of when the gym teacher, Coach Moseley, paddled me for not dressing up for gym?
    Why not show when I lost the top place for best sixth grader to my neighbor and he got to represent our school instead of me?

I hated all those times. I also hated the '93 season of the Houston Oilers, my beloved football team that left me for another town. :(

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

Thanks, I wish this wasn't going to be aired, and I wish I could stop myself from watching it.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

TMI broswol !:eek:

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ugh... a team with so much talent on both sides of the ball. Totally limited by the stupid run and shoot which usually prevented them from a.) being able to run out the clock with a big lead, b.) keeping their defense off the field (why Buddy got so pissed that one night), and c.) protecting Moon consistently enough to avoid sacks and not throw picks.

If they had a semblance of a conservative mode, things would have been a lot different.

Would have been a perfect team for Kubiak! (sic)

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this, this, this

9. Beavis Stiffler

I thought the 1992 playoff collapse/meltdown in Buffalo or John Elway's drive in the 1991 playoffs was also the start of the Oilers demise.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

91- Elway
    92- Bills
    93- Chiefs

Never seen a three year stretch like it. Chiefs game was the nail in the coffin.

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I was in elementary school but if I remember correctly, Gary Brown was awesome in 1993 and in 1993 only.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

By the time we got to the Chiefs game, you knew the second half collapse was inevitable. We'd been conditioned for it. I remember very well where I was and who I was watching that game with...and damn well knowing that our lead wouldn't hold up.

Eerily similar to Houston's football team today.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was in college and home for the holidays watching up in my room. Literally felt sick to my stomach afterwards. I remember the Rockets played that night and Sleepy Floyd hit a game-winner (against the spurs in SA, I believe) that made me feel slightly better as a Houston sports fan. But not much.

Watched the game at my girlfriends house that morning. I called my dad at halftime when we were up 28-3 to talk about who we would be playing the next week. My dad and I feel guilty about that conversation to this day...

Like MadMax, I saw this one coming at halftime. Fool me once, shame on you.....you know the rest. I have a lasting image in my head from that game of Warren Moon with his head buried in his hands at the end of that game. Everyone knew that was his last game in Houston and the end of an era.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Kinky....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... the only difference with this game being was it was at home (other two games were not), and the team had won 11 in a row, including at Pittsburgh in December, and at San Francisco on Christmas day.

Secondly, the Buddy Ryan defense was suffocating teams... and gave them a sort of swagger that they lacked the previous two years. They didn't allow more than 20 points from week 6 on.... and they had beaten the Chiefs 30-0 earlier in the season (albeit, Montana was injured).

If there's such a thing as a football city's DNA, Houston apparently cannot change there's... no matter what franchise plays here.

17. Poloshirtbandit

He had an above average year with the Giants around 98 or 99 I think.

18. Poloshirtbandit

The Chiefs receiver spiking the football right at that picture of Buddy Ryan's head gets me every time. :(

19. Poloshirtbandit

I think (probably wrong on this) they also didn't allow a 100 yard rusher the entire season.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprising if true... they were often playing from ahead throughout the winning streak.

I just remember them having a bunch of quality defensive guys who all seemed to peak around the same time, and had the perfect coach to sync it all together.

Childress, Jones, Fuller, Al Smith, Montgomery... Marcus Robertson was an all-pro safety, Dishman had the best year of his career... Lathon, Bishop, Barrow, D. Lewis were up and comers.

Stupid run and shoot...