1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Anthropocene

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Nov 27, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We already know this, but it doesn't lessen the impact of reading it again. And really, I don't think this Iraq vet stands to make millions off of carbon credits.

Too many of us lapse into the false security of thinking Climate Change is something that might happen. We all need to recognize it is happening. Scares the crap out of me when thinking about my kids living into old age and what my grandkids will have to deal with.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Climate change is always happening. Also, It is pretty ridiculous to suggest we will see a 7 degree spike in average global temps over the next century due to carbon like the commentary suggests. Atmospheric CO2 levels are simply not very high. Yes we need to control our production of them, but they are low relative to the Earth's history. Further, we don't have a great understanding of all the dynamics that go into the global warming and cooling process. If you are worried about drastic climate change then I would worry more about Icelandic volcano eruptions....seriously.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Amazing. Iraq had nothing to do with climate change, but continue to believe that and see where it gets you.:cool:

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is we don't really fully understand the mechanisms and as a species basically we have been running a massive experiment on the planet in the last 150 years of releasing CO2 and other emissions into the atmosphere.

I don't believe that the nightmare scenarios painted in the piece will come true but the problem is we don't know for sure that they won't. What Scranton is saying isn't that these will for certain come true but that we need to prepare for that likelihood. He talks about that it is unlikely that he will die in Iraq but that once he accepted the possibility that he could he could then do what needed to be done to deal with the situation rather than either living in fear or denial. He is saying the same type of thinking needs to be applied to us a civilization. Accept that the worse is happening so we can actually prepare for that situation.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you read the piece? He isn't saying that Iraq is related to climate change but that his experience with Iraq showed him what can happen when civilization collapses and also that his experience taught him how to deal with the possibility of death.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Civilization will collapse

Com on bro its Sunday night

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I once read that nuclear was also a finite and expensive resource. Some of the current supply is coming from Russia dismantling its excess nukes.

I wonder if it merits the large scale industrial costs to build the plant and wholesale adoption.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Warmest November global average ever recorded.

[​IMG]

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In Soviet Russia, global warms YOU!

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We can't affect Icelandic volcano eruptions in the same way we can control man-made CO2 emissions.