1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we keep Schaub for next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheDreamShake83, Nov 25, 2013.

1. TheDreamShake83

Before you completely rage by reading this hear me out . . . .

Keenum is obviously struggling with his reads and behind a bad O-line. I was at the Raiders game and understood the benefit of putting Schaub in at that time. The problem is that regardless of who is in at QB, Kubiak is still calling the plays which eventually lead to us doing something incredibly stupid.

My argument to keeping Schaub for next year is if we use our #1 pick for a QB. Most QBs that get thrown into the fire as rookies struggle big time and never recover. Contrary to that, a QB who rides the pine for a year or two seems to do much better in the league long term.

So do we deal with Schaub possibly being good or bad for the next year with the hope of developing a successful long term QB?

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

No Thanks. QB's that are drafted to ride the pine and learn from a vet should learn from a vet that has had success. The last thing we need to do is groom a first round pick QB with Schaub. The point is to move on from Schaub, not create a younger version of him.

3. TheDreamShake83

I understand but since he is all that we have we might have to go with him. I would hate to see us end up with a Geno Smith or EJ Manuel because we are desperate for a QB. I also think we need to move on from Schaub but he is far from the only reason that our record is what it is this year. He does not have an arm but he is a smart QB. Hopefully he can teach that aspect of the position to Keenum or a new QB if we decide to keep him.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is because most quarterbacks in the NFL fail. It's a tough job. They don't get ruined by starting too early. They get ruined by not being good enough. The "sit and wait" approach was better many years ago, when quarterbacks coming out of college were not as prepared, but now you've got kids going to QB camps as preteens. There is no reason to keep Schaub. It will delay the turnover of the franchise, eat up more cap space for the rebuild, stunt the growth of the new QB, and otherwise open the door for an unnecessary QB "controversy" should he somehow miraculously stop sucking monkey butthole. Beyond that, it's a moot point because the new regime will come in and Schaub will be the FIRST thing they dump overboard.

In other words:

[​IMG]

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would not cut him. Too much dead money. I'd trade him if someone offered me anything, but otherwise, I'd keep him on the roster and let him be miserable before I'd cut him and take the cap hit for nothing.

He can still be a productive QB for someone so unless they give me something for that I wouldn't want to help them out.

6. Classic

Classic Member

In other words:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. TheDreamShake83

With our line the way it is wouldn't we just be throwing a rookie to the wolves? I would hate to see a Carr situation all over again and have to deal with that for years. Again, this is all based on if we draft a QB #1 (I would rather us not).

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

That ship has sailed.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This line, as poorly as it has played, is not even in the same stratosphere as the one Carr dealt with. No sense in babying anybody. Let them learn on the job.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The term "purge" comes to mind...Schaub along with the entire coaching staff should be let go the monday after the last game of the season. Merry Christmas happy New Year...

Other cuts should be made as team salary caps deem necessary...perhaps Schaub may stay a bit longer, but he is pretty much cut from this team

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

like he has helped Yates and Keenum?

Rocket River

12. TheDreamShake83

Not sure if you can compare those two to a #1 pick. I just don't see the sense in throwing in a new QB. We have so many issues that a great rookie QB is not going to turn us around, not to mention the fact that he will be working with a new coach. I am not expecting Schaub to be here next year, I just wanted to see if people would accept another year of him for the greater good.

13. TheDreamShake83

Monday? How about Sunday evening? I am sure that their offices will already be packed. I am thinking that we will be able to deal Schaub because there are teams out there that do not have a better option. I am just hoping that whatever we do ends up working. I would hate to see 2 playoff wins against the Bengals be the highlight of Andre's career and our bright spot for the next few years.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

In other words,

[​IMG]

15. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

Hell no if they keep just move the team out of Texas

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Keeping him = even more dead money.

In this league, its very rare for someone to trade for a guy expected to be waived. I could see the Vikings as a long shot possibility, but even in that scenario you absorb the accelerated cap hit.

17. justtxyank

My memory is that his cap hit if you cut him is almost the same as if you keep him.

I don't care about the cap hit in a trade, at least you get an asset.

Cutting him for nothing so he can go help another franchise seems like a waste.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Nobody's trading for Schaub, even if they have no other options. There is never any "no other options." Especially if we're throwing in a whole offseason in the mix, teams with QB woes will have prospects learning the system in their practice squad or be drafting their own guy.

Assuming we will have a new coach, what kind of system could a 32-33 Schaub even survive in? He's lost any pocket presence he's had and goes fetal at the first sign of pressure. He doesn't have the mobility to work with another bootleg system. He can't go vertical to punish teams for playing him short.

19. justtxyank

QBs with his track record always get another shot. Broken down and busted Carson Palmer keeps getting traded.

I'm not asking for something significant.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think the Texans save about 33% on the cap hit if they cut him.

No one is going to trade for him, so he has to go.