1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones has more upside not named Ant Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Nov 24, 2013.

1. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Having been living in KY, I had a chance to watch UK games. The day Rockets drafted him, I said Rockets got a steal. If he ever got it right mentally and mature, watch out. So far so good. Hope he continues to improve.

2. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I think it's too early to call an all-star for this kid. How many of u called that for Landry? Or for parsons? But fact is these guys can't really create fir themselvs, they need to be assisted for a shot. I highly doubt these guys could ever be an all-star, maybe once if rox gets the championship so they could pull a Ben wallace but that's about it.

3. tadahito

tadahito Member

TJones is that rare stretch-PF who can rebound AND block shots. Only Shawn Marion could do that. As a traditional PF in a traditional offense, TJones is undersized and would get abused.
    Right now, TJones is looking great playing next to Dwight Howard. Makes me wonder how dMO will do next to Dwight.

2 point FG%:
    2012/2013 Rockets: TJones 50.7% dMO 56.2%
    2012/2013 Dleague: TJones 55.2% dMO 60.4%
    2013/2014 Rockets: TJones 53.7% dMO 60.0%

Free dMO!!!

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

The potential is definitely there. Have a feeling thou he is scoring as part of the system. He still have no go to move, catch and shoot is not a strong point of his, need help on his right hand etc.

Having said that, being part of a system where 4 guys is a triple treat with 3p range, he is what a lot of clutch fans have hope and vision Josh Smith could do in this Rox team.

Oh and the hate for Blake Griffin is strong in this boards. No one mention his name as young good PF? And Love is not that old.

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

To this thread:

1) Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want to see how long Jones can sustain this level of play. Until then, let's not compare him to All-Star level PFs.

2) BUT...Jones does have a ton of upside - at both ends. He can do almost anything you'd want from a PF in today's league. I don't want to trade him, because I'm pretty excited to see what he can develop into.

6. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

Mac Hale see Jones every day at the training since months. How can he explains that he don't give him a lot more minutes before now ?

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

QFTT

Busting myths surrounding Blake Griffin

In his first season playing in the league, Blake Griffin crushed any and all expectations. Now, just a few years later, he can’t seem to get out from under the weight of them.

Without diving in too deep as to why that is, it’s probably fair to say that Griffin isn’t treated as even-handedly as some of his contemporaries. Maybe it’s the athleticism or the commercials or the persona or the rapid ascension, but Griffin can never really seem to satisfy his critics.

As a result, this has led to a few common complaints being repeated ad nauseum, even though they aren’t necessarily rooted in truth.

Blake Griffin needs to develop a post game

You hear this a lot, but rarely is actual data brought in to the conversation.

According to My Synergy Sports, a service that breaks down and tracks every play type, Griffin scored .88 points per play out of the post last year. Post-up opportunities comprised 35 percent of his offense. How does that compare to some of the league’s best post scorers?

Blake Griffin: .88 PPP, 35% post-ups
    Kevin Love: .85 PPP, 24.9% post-ups
    LaMarcus Aldridge: .94 PPP, 33.7% post-ups
    DeMarcus Cousins: .81 PPP, 24.9% post-ups

Very rarely do you hear anyone harp on Love, Aldridge or Cousins about needing to develop their post skills, but Griffin was a more prolific and more efficient scorer than everyone except for Aldridge last season.

Does he always make it look pretty down there? Certainly not, but saying that Griffin isn’t a good post scorer flies directly in the face of the facts.

When Griffin can’t dunk and play in transition, he can’t be effective

Griffin’s mid-range game is a work in progress, for sure. Still, here’s a list of players with at least 25 made field goals that Griffin is shooting a better percentage than from 10-22 feet:

Marc Gasol, Kevin Martin, Carmelo Anthony, Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward.

It’s a small sample size, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Griffin be right around league-average from mid-range this year.

It also seems silly that Griffin’s production in the pick-and-roll (1.2 PPP in that setting this year) can be so easily ignored. Pick-and-rolls make up the strong majority of every half-court offense in the league, and Griffin has routinely been one of the best finishers in the league as a roll man.

Let’s not discount Griffin’s passing ability, either. With the exception of Kevin Love, Josh McRoberts and the Gasol brothers, no other power forward or center ranks above Griffin in assist opportunities per game, which is tracked by SportVU and is defined as “passes by a player to a teammate in which the teammate attempts a shot, and if made, would be an assist.”

That confirms what most people who watch Griffin every night already know. Griffin is drawing the attention of multiple defenders whenever he gets the ball, and he’s routinely finding teammates open shots.

Truth be told, Griffin is already the player a lot of people want him to become. The narrative being stuck in neutral is funny, really, because there are other much more legitimate critiques of Griffin readily available. He’s a poor free throw shooter. He’s an inconsistent defender that lacks focus. He doesn’t help protect the rim or defend the pick-and-roll well.

Those are the areas of improvement that could help Griffin take his game, and maybe the Clippers, to the next level. All this other stuff is just noise.​

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Tjones over Favors??????

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I agree. I don't want us to move him. Short of Love and LMA, I think Jones can be our power forward of the future. People tend to forget that if Jones came out of college a year earlier, he could have been the number 1 pick, definitely top 5. But he chose to stay one more year, hurting his draft spot, to win a championship with Davis, MKG at Kentucky. This guy wants to win and he will sacrifice his own stats and such to win.

And what better compliment for Dwight Howard? T Jones played with a dominate center with Davis in college so he knows how to be effective with a center such as Davis and Howard. Once Jones and Howard start letting just one go for the block and the other the rebound, our inside defense will be amazing! And on offense, he is a great fit since he doesn't need plays run for him but he can score a bunch of different ways.

10. MONON

MONON Member

"He wasn't ready." A couple of times last year McHale started TJ or DMo, but they weren't ready & didn't perform well. This year McHale started off the season with the TT, but it didn't mesh. He then started TJ in place of Asik & TJ has flourished. It can take a while for a young player coming into the NBA to find his niche. Last year we had TJ & DMo trying to find their place at pf. TJ just found it 1st.

11. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Wait Wait--which all star level PFS did I compare him to?

12. Shawndme7

Funny how this thread is getting cosigns but only has 2 stars. Must be a bunch of LOFs LOHS mchaleOFS DMOFS or HOFS bringing me down.

13. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Always liked him since predraft. I'd even hesitate to trade him for Love/Lma simply because that will certainly include Asik and Lin...all three fills important roles and are still developing. In this league Love is another injury away from huge disappointment, and most people didn't remotely expect Paul George to be this good just a little over one year ago.

14. basketballholic

The key with Jones is will he continue to shoot the 3-ball effectively? If he does that he could be very, very good. And I hope, hope, hope he does. (But I'm not convinced he will....yet.)

15. bws

bws Member

Yeah, so far, wonderful. And he's 21. But he'll have bad games too. Not too high or too low, we'll see how he pans out with more games and if he gets a reputation and teams make adjustments to him.

16. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Andre Drummond? I like TJ a lot though I think we have our stretch 4

17. Shawndme7

Drummond plays C

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Can you tell me exactly when 6'9" and 252 lbs became undersized for a power forward? I guess I missed that one.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

That's lock and pop with brooks in the corner when jones his the mid range was so nice. I always said once he develops a shot he will be solid. The blocks, running the floor, defense was nothing new for me he is 21 & athletic.

-the thing I really like about jones is he doesn't need the ball or slow anything down, we don't need that out of the PF spot when u have Howard down there. Parsons & jones are the perfect glue guys for the rockets system.

20. Shawndme7

looks like a DMOF

For the record, I think DMO has a lot of upside too.