1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mchales treatment of Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lid1013, Nov 20, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, every new game brings legitimate criticisms of every player and coach that kept Jeremy Lin down. Of course.

2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

We'll get better. A lot of things could have prevented the loss last night. A calm free throw make, not making a gesture towards the stands, playing better defense on the perimeter for one more play, the whole team not letting off the gas pedal a bit, someone stepping up, the refs calling a foul when dwight is getting hacked, etc.

Would have been awesome to see Lin be effective, though. His presence could have sealed the deal. The whole second unit was out-of-sync for the most part, though.

3. JAD2456

JAD2456 Member

Thank you for being unbiased and speaking up the truth!

4. SugarLandDream8

Lin didn't even have a bad game he just didn't get any playing time. He rushed and jacked a couple of shots because he realized he wasn't getting any playing time other than that he played well in his limited time. He had decent assist and no turnover. His Defense was OK.

It's beyond ridiculous how McHale treats Lin. Jeremy has been balling the whole season and just came off a great week and now he is back to being a bench player with limited playing time and a short leash.

Look at when Lin got in the game and look at Lin's minutes by mid 3rd quarter. It's beyond crazy how the leading candidate for 6th man of the year got so little playing time.

This is why some fans really think McHale hates Lin. I can understand if Bev was balling but the truth is he is a mediocre PG with a subpar Per, PPG, APG, FG%, etc.

McHale really just wants Lin to be a small role player. Those who think McHale wants Lin to have the Manu role is delusional.

Pop would never limit Manu to so few minutes after he balled all season long.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

He's playing so well in part because he's allowed to be a change-of-pace offensive workhorse off the bench. He needs a narrow focus to be able to do what he does best.

6. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

One thing I don't understand is Lin is the most suitable Rockets player who should have the ball in his hands in transition plays due to his speed and decision-making, but for some reason, every Rockets player thinks they can be LeBron James. Mac should really tell them to look for Lin in transition plays.

7. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

indeed. everyone wants to play the point. Harden, Parsons, Lin, Beverley, and now Casspi.

8. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Larry Sanders said the same thing earlier this season

Then he decided to get in a bar fight and break his thumb and ruin my fantasy team

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

As a bench player, if Bev plays well, Lin won't get to play as much, and if Lin doesn't play well, his minutes will be reduced further. If Lin can get 30 minutes plus every game and has a chance to play through his mistakes, sure, I am for Lin coming off the bench, but in reality, this is not the case. This is why every player should want to start. This is why I believe Lin should play more selfish when he comes off the bench instead of looking to set up for others. He should try to jack up at least 13 shots every game.

10. steady

steady Member

Did the Rockets help Lin or any of the other ball handlers out with any screens in this game?

11. SugarLandDream8

Lin barely played yesterday. He didn't get in the game till the 3:55 minute mark of the game and left at the 7:35 mark in the end quarter. He basically played 8 minutes in the 1st half of the game. He was 0-2 in the 1st half no big deal. Harden usually is 0-5 in many games to start the game.

I can understand if he was playing badly lately but he has been balling and was the 2nd best offensive player all season till yesterday. McHale just benched him for no reason for yesterday's game.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It would be interesting to read the same comments both positive and negative about Lin if he weren't of Asian decent. Since asian decent is not currently typical in the NBA it seems to cause polarized opinions about him. Might be a revealing exercise if people posting opinions about Lin would be to read their post and at least think about if it would be the same if the races between Beverly and Lin were reversed for example.

13. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I meant for transition plays. I have seen enough to see clearly that in fast-break plays, Lin is especially quick and makes good decisions to pass or shoot himself. This is one of his strengths, and as such, I really don't understand why Mac doesn't emphasize to Rockets rebounders to release the ball to Lin. Also, this is one way to get Lin more aggressive.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Lin or Harden, but I bolded the point that's somewhat wrong. He's also made some horrible jump passes and overall turnovers. He also is hesitant decision making wise...when confident, yes, he's very good. Nonetheless, he's a great coast to coast player...he's very quick in the open court and can finish through contact.

15. yummyhawtsauce

Yup. As soon as I saw Casspi go iso and try to take on 2 guys im like huh. TO...wow even Casspi has gone ISO mode.

16. SugarLandDream8

It has nothing to do with Race. On the one hand you have a PG (Lin) who had a high per of over 19 and is a leading candidate for 6th man of the year and on the other hand you have a PG who is statistically mediocre to bad with a low Per, low shooting %, low everything and has often been destroyed by opposing guards when his only "strength" has been his suppose defensive prowess.

It just makes people wonder why Lin is on such a short leash and yesterday was benched for no reason. He played 8 minutes in the 1st half and wasn't bad at all. He was on pace to getting over 10 assists if he played 35 minutes yesterday.

17. jason330i

jason330i Member

well, i think the starters were finally playing well together. at least in the beginning of the game.

and that is why lin didn't get in the game early.

with that said, i believe morey said lin is currently their #2 offensive option, so you would think it would be wise to get him going too.

18. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

and by starters play well, you obviously meant Howard, Parsons, Jones, and Harden.

19. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Lin has been scoring with relative ease, and able to get in the flow instantaneously when his number has called. For whatever reason, he wasn't feeling it last night. I understand his minutes were truncated, but that had proved to matter little in past games.

If he's feeling it, he can spell Harden and the team not miss too much a beat. He doesn't have to be selfish, per se, that's a wrong use of the word imo. If he believes he can score, and not have it be the worst shot on the court, he should do it. And he has. Until last night. It would have been cool to see Lin come back and maybe put up a winning bucket, though.

He's a headstrong and talented dude, he'll be okay. The NBA has a lot of people like that, though, and unless you've been doing it for years, sometimes you gotta capitalize on your opportunities when they come. He has 100% green light off the bench and he went 0/5. He'll pick it back up, though.

20. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Lin basically has to make 1 of his first 2 shots or he gets pulled. He gets one chance per half. That's what you saw yesterday.