1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Jones/DMo playing well, do you still want a stretch 4 for Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jtr

jtr Member

Exactly why D-Mo is probably going to be a force in this league in the next few years. A huge very fast man with good hops and great coordination. Not to mention one of the very best post games in the NBA.

2. payaso

payaso Member

Just don't call him a starting 5... unless you want him eaten alive.

<queue the bongos>

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

truth be told, i think our PF's are fine. our PG's are fine. and our wing play is great. all we need is a backup to dwight, which is hopefully asik. I'd give him some playing time and rest dwight. its a luxury. dwight should play 30mpg. asik 12-18 depending if we want to go small.

#1 option is package him now with other assets in order to land an all star. i'm not talking about millsap. i mean, LMA, Love, rondo, melo. jones and dmo are better than any other options out there. those other options (anderson, illyasova, millsap) are redundant, more expensive, and will stunt jones and dmo's growth. if we can't land a legit 3rd star this year...

#2 option is to keep him and rest dwight when possible. truth be told, i think our PF's are fine. our PG's are fine. and our wing play is great. all we need is a backup to dwight, which is hopefully asik. I'd give him some playing time and rest dwight. its a luxury. dwight should play 30mpg. asik 12-18 depending if we want to go small.

#3 option is if we have to move him, preserve cap space for 2015. move him for cap space and picks (2015 picks to restock the bench). go after a 3rd star then at all costs. someone will join the team for sure. the heat 3 will have gotten older, the spurs will be done, we will have a huge window with 3 stars. love, LMA, rondo, melo, someone will join harden and dwight to win a ring.

4. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

If Jones can keep this up I would rather use Asik to get a PG, SF that could help cover Harden's defensive liabilities.

5. jtr

jtr Member

At this point you are certainly correct. However if Asik is traded he could probably survive 13 minutes a night as a backup center. Which is his current ceiling. But IMHO he is improving. D-Mo is almost 4 years younger than Hibbert (3 years and 9 months) and so has plenty of time to reach his potential. It really was not until last season that Hibbert became a dominant center.

6. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

I wonder if ppl here actually watch other teams play of just want players who are famous. Shumpert has injury issues and would only get 5 minutes a game on the Rockets. The Rockets actually need Asik to accept his role as the backup Center but if he cant they should trade him for a backup center and picks. The perfect PF for the Rockets is Terrence Jones. He rebounds, blocks shots, can dribble, doesnt need a play ran for him, defends, is young, cheap, with plenty of upside.

If the Rockets get a stretch four then that means they wanted an upside over Casspi off the bench cause i think Jones is the starter.

7. saintja2

saintja2 Member

This is what Morey said on the radio:

It could be spin but it's exactly what I think when somebody mentions playing D-Mo at the center spot.

8. jtr

jtr Member

I personally agree with almost everything that you said. However I have to disagree with your desire to acquire Rondo or Melo. Not from a talent standpoint, but from a fit standpoint. Rondo has to have the ball to be effective. Melo has always been about iso basketball. I believe either of them would make the Rockets a less effective team.

9. jtr

jtr Member

Interesting. But D-Mo has gotten significant minutes at the back up 5 the last two games. However IMHO the Rockets best chance for a ring this season is to keep Asik around until the trade deadline (3 months or so away) just in case Howard gets injured.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Best thing would be to keep Asik. He could be huge for us in the play offs.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I loved Courtney Lee when he was here and hated to see him go. I think he would be great coming off of the bench to backup Harden, especially playing alongside Lin! I think that would be a great combo.

However, his contract isn't very good. Makes him not a very good value anymore.

12. payaso

payaso Member

I would love to agree with you, except that what I saw was a lack of gross motor skills/coordination while jockeying in the paint and trying to pick up the loose ball. I don't think that it becomes less of a problem with age... unless you pick a career other than pro basketball player.

13. James88

James88 Member

I'm in the keep Sad Asik camp. I don't care if he's sad, he's still a dominant defensive C and giving that up is costly. Give Jones time to see if he can start and give up 30mpg.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's over man. It's done. Omer doesn't want to be here, he's not willing to play only 15 minutes a game, and he quit on the team by refusing to play because he was pissed about his playing time.

He's gonna be traded, it's just a question of to where.

And while I agree that our point guard and wing play has been good, it's also too lopsided. Other than Bev it's all guys who are offense first defense last.

We need some defense on the perimeter to balance things out.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Personally I'm in know hurry to trade Asik. We have an opportunity to see what we have at PF before committing to a trade for someone like Milsap when TJones could be exactly what we need; a good rebounder, a second shot blocker, good defender and can hit the trey enough to force defenses to guard him at the arc. If he can continue to perform against the better teams like he is now then I think our biggest need would be some legit debth behind James Harden, like Shumpert or Lee.

As long as Houston Is winning and improving I think we should hang onto to Asik until we can find out what we have in TJones and DMo. Unless of course someone like Portland offers us LMA (which isn't going to happen).

16. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

A NO for a 4. That'll only hinder our young PF's growth curves. Not to mention that'll only create a logjam at the 4.

I want to see Asik fight for minutes with Dwight instead of sulking and giving up without a fight.

17. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

I want a backup C for Asik because with Greg Smith down D12 is the only C on the roster, not to mention Smith is not a defensive anchor at all.

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

It's so good to hear people talking good about DMo and Jones instead of running them down.

I'm impressed with DMo and I really didn't know Jones could keep himself in the game the way he has, I'm surprised by his play and I'm glad he is doing so well and I hope he keeps it up.